Magnus Nygren should be at Habs training camp

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
If the following 2 articles from HabsNation are correct, it sounds like the Habs want Nygren to come to compete for a spot in training camp.
If he doesn't make it, things will be interesting as it sounds like they want him to play in Hamilton, but he may want a trade instead. It's too bad because Hamilton would be perfect for him. He tore up the Sweedish league when he went back: 12 goals and 20 points in 25 games played.

http://thehabsnation.net/2014/06/15/habs-talked-to-nygren-about-possiblity-on-being-traded/
HABS TALKED TO NYGREN ABOUT POSSIBLITY ON BEING TRADED

The Montreal Canadiens have had discussions with Swedish prospect Magnus Nygren about potentially being traded if he no longer fits in their plans, according to Ola Winther of Hockey Sverige.

“We’ve talked about a possible trade I would not bring a sweater and we’ll see what happens now in the next few weeks as well, in connection with the draft and so. They have said that they do not stand in the way if I want to become traded, as long as they can get something back. “They have told me that they want me to go over and join in and fight for a place, then we will see what happens.

http://thehabsnation.net/2014/06/04...-nygren-to-play-in-north-america-next-season/
June 4, 2014 by thehabsnation
CANADIENS WANT MAGNUS NYGREN TO PLAY IN NORTH AMERICA NEXT SEASON

According to Johan Ekberg sports journalist in Sweden a Montreal Canadiens source has said that they would like defence prospect Magnus Nygren to play hockey in North America for this upcoming season.

“According to source, Montreal has made ​​it clear that they want to Magnus Nygren play in North America next season.“

Nygren, 23, started this past season with the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs in where he played in 16 games before returning back home to Sweden due to numerous reasons, the main being he wanted to play in the NHL and not in the minors with the Dogs’.

Nygren will have one year left on his 2 year entry-level deal he signed last year and already with one year burnt out the Montreal Canadiens would like their 4th round draft pick of the 2011 NHL entry draft to stay with the team in North America.

Camp will be interesting with 4 not-so-young-anymore dmen knocking at the door:

Beaulieu (22 in December), Tinordi (22), Pateryn (24), and Nygren (24).

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
l

Lets rename Hamilton to make it more acceptable to Nygren... :sarcasm:

j6Hkafp.jpg

habakkuk

Jul 13, 2008
...I really hope this kid has grown up a bit and takes advantage of the opportunity...he's got skill and I'd hate to see it wasted...

I don't see the problem as a maturity issue. The development of any young player is a shared responsibility with the parent club and the player both making decisions which will best advance the career of the player. Because Magnus didn't believe his progression was best served by playing in Hamilton, for whatever reason, he not only had a reason to return to Europe, he basically had a responsibility to his career to return and play in the SEL.
Contrary to what some posters believe hockey operates as a business and the Montreal Canadiens are only interested in furthering the interests of the Canadiens and could care less about the welfare of an individual player. The players are chattels/investments to be fostered, guided, disciplined, traded, bought and sold in the interest of the club. There is no actual or implied loyalty on either side.
Magnus was simply doing what Magnus had to do to protect his career.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Can't see this ending well, Habs can't guarantee him a spot in the NHL with so many rookies battling for a spot and if he's not in Hamilton he's not available for call ups so is pretty much useless to us

Predict a bit of a showcase in the pre-season and gets dealt

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Was there ever question he WOULDN'T be in camp?

He just doesn't want to play AHL.

Was listening to the draft on tsn 690 and they were talking about how the Canadiens had released Nygren, so I wanted to make sure that wasn't the case...

I also found it strange how at his end of the year press conference Bergevin kept mentioning 3 young defensemen (Pateryn, Beaulieu and Tinordi) who were knocking at the door for a spot, but didn't mention Nygren.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
l

Lets rename Hamilton to make it more acceptable to Nygren... :sarcasm:

j6Hkafp.jpg

Actually, that's the supply of nerve gas that Nygren figures is required to ward off Hamilton street gangs over the length of a hockey season. :sarcasm:

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
The road to the Canadiens goes through Hamilton as Bergevin puts it.

And there is nothing wrong about that.

I would trade Nygren's arse simply because he bailed out of HAM.

The NHL is not a place to test out a player. IF you play in the NHL it's because you have shown your worth on NA ice. Nygren has not done that yet.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
We will regret trading Nygren, believe me.

And yes, I get that some are pissed he bailed on Hamilton. I was too.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Man why is it such a big deal that he doesn't want to play in Hamilton ?

Emelin stayed in the KHL until he was assured to have a spot in the top 4 in MTL.

I can understand why Nygren is doing the same.

As others have said, if we trade him we will have wasted a very talented young D-man.

Analyzer*

We will regret trading Nygren, believe me.

And yes, I get that some are pissed he bailed on Hamilton. I was too.

Can't force him into the NHL, but hard to tell what else to do with him. If he doesn't make it, allow him to go back to Sweden again ?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
im assuming that hes gonna play in every preseason game and they'll make their decision after that

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I just fear the team is going to fart away another talent people will be bemoaning in a couple of years, for nothing. Team is putrid on RHD excluding Subban - I don't see any reason why Nygren can't make the team on the bottom pairing.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
Wouldn't be that big of a shock. He's better than Beaulieu/Tinordi/Pateryn.

Thats what pisses me off the most about this whole situation: the kid's very ****ing good, it'd be a shame to let him go at this point. If he shows up and plays a good camp, habs should give him a pass to the roster and let him show what he can do on an NHL powerplay.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Thats what pisses me off the most about this whole situation: the kid's very ****ing good, it'd be a shame to let him go at this point. If he shows up and plays a good camp, habs should give him a pass to the roster and let him show what he can do on an NHL powerplay.
Have you seen him play a lot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad