GDT: Made by Alicat - 1/11| Ah, Sugar | Bruins @ Sharks|10:30pm ET| NESN, 100.7 WZLX FM

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I really don't get this assertion that Claude hates rookies.

Because it isn't true.

Yet it gets trotted out every so often when folks run out of facts to back up their arguments and get frustrated when folks argue against their point. So they resort to a time honored but factually inaccurate cliche: "Clode hates offense/rookies."

The reality, of course, is Claude does a real good job managing the rookies and the results justify his handling of their growth on the team.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Yet it gets trotted out every so often when folks run out of facts to back up their arguments and get frustrated when folks argue against their point. So they resort to a time honored but factually inaccurate cliche: "Clode hates offense/rookies."

The reality, of course, is Claude does a real good job managing the rookies and the results justify his handling of their growth on the team.

Claude doesn't hate rookies but I think he is too discouraged in using them in the playoffs. I know the Bruins started wrecking house against Vancouver in 2011 as soon as Thornton was ejected into the lineup over Seguin, but I do think he's a little too hasty in avoiding giving the 'kids' playing time in the playoffs.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Let me start off by saying that I don't feel that way.
But if I were to guess, I would say some people feel that way because Spooner is young and fairly untested at the NHL level. He has no playoff experience and that can make some people nervous about how he will perform against the better teams of the league. If he were to have problems being our 3rd line center during the regular season that is something we could overcome. If he were to have problems during the playoffs it would be much more serious. I think almost everyone is open to him being the 3rd line center during the regular season but some like the idea of having Chris Kelly in our back pocket in case things don't work out for him as 3rd line center. To an extent I agree with that but I don't particularly feel nervous about having Spooner there. I also think some of this is being realistic about what Claude Julien would prefer, many assume that he would be more comfortable having a vet that he knows.

For me, I think Chris Kelly is still valuable for this team but not in a 3rd line role anymore. I think his offensive skills no longer match those of his linemates, whether it is Soda/Smith or Soda/Eriksson. There's no question he is strong defensively and an important part of our PK but I don't think those skills justify ousting Spooner out of the 3rd line. I think if CK goes back on that line it becomes another version of the offensive black hole that it was last year and it will have a big negative effect on Soda/Smith/Eriksson's production potential. I think this team is stronger with the 3 scoring lines that I think they'd get with Spooner on the 3rd. I have a feeling our offense is going to be more important this year having lost Seidenberg and having a question mark on our defense situation. I think it would be a bad idea to go into the playoffs and assume Rask is going to be as phenomenal as he was against the Pens last year.

I think the benefits of having Spooner on the 3rd line far outweigh the risks. I'm willing to put up with the growing pains associated with new players when they are as good as he is. I hate looking back to what happened last year but I think of what a difference it could have been to have a scoring third line and cringe. And the beauty of this whole thing we can keep them both. Chris Kelly would fit seamlessly on the 4th line and probably do much better there. I couldn't give a flying **** about paying 3mill for a 4th liner if our roster is as strong as it will be with the 2 of them here. Spooner would not fit on the 4th at all so if Kelly goes back to the 3rd he will be sent down and I think he's earned his spot on this team.

That being said, it would not surprise me for Claude to go with the safer option of Kelly on the 3rd and for Spooner to get sent down. I don't think he is as obsessed with vet players as some think but I think there's a comfort level that he has with Kelly's game. I can see this being a much tougher decision for him. If the 3rd line takes off offensively it will make it even harder for him, especially with the top 2 lines underperforming lately.

^THIS^ Great post. Could not agree more with that assessment.

Of course playoffs is a whole new ball game. But this is why practically everyone is open to the possibility to letting Kelly center the 3rd line if Spooner looks overwhelmed down the stretch of the season when things develop into playoff-like atmosphere/intensity.

That's the whole point... this does not have to be a permanent demotion on the part of Kelly. But Spooner has 10 assists already (and more points than Kelly in substantially fewer games played), and he is showing a high compete level... he had a lot to do with that Eriksson--->Yeti goal. Spoons started the entire sequence.

Spooner has earned his big shot. If he ends up fizzling out or can't handle playoff pressure, then we simply leave him out of the regular rotation. Depth is a great thing.

As for now, putting him back to Providence will not allow him to improve the same way these valuable NHL minutes allow him to improve his game. All aspects of his game... those that he is already good at and those that need work (he's getting better already in the face-off dot).

Now is the time to give the kid some burn... and we will cross the "playoff-worthy" bridge when we get to it. There are still a lot of games remaining on the schedule.

Besides, this lineup needs his speed so badly. He is a dynamic player who accelerates to top speed even faster than Seguin did, and he can be an effective playmaker even while operating at top speed. We've all seen that nifty 10-2 skating maneuver which can give an opposing D-man absolute fits.

What's most impressive is how he can open up while still maintaining a head of steam, he doesn't seem to lose speed when he opens up and thus can make plays at top speed. He is not the PK'er Kelly is... but he will never be if he's not given the chance to learn at the NHL level.

As for the guy who has said we've yet to see him take a hit or give a hit (DarrenBanks)... i am not sure how much of Spooner he is watching. He has thrown his body around more than i expected, and i am high on the kid.

He's not Lucic, Thornton, or even Soderberg (well, he can't be with his size) but he has shown a willingness to grind it out on the boards. He's taken plenty of hits... a body check does not have to be a clock-cleaning open ice bomb for it to be considered "a hit".

Spooner has shown enough skill and gumption to earn this spot... to be groomed at his natural position.

With skill guys like Soderberg and Eriksson on his wings, it only makes sense to leave a skilled passer/playmaker like Spooner where he is. AT LEAST for now... then see how things go. Both Yeti and Loui will be the better for it.

As loyal is Clode is to his vet leaders, i really doubt he will send Spooner back to Providence. I would be surprised; not shocked but surprised.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
He's not Lucic, Thornton, or even Soderberg (well, he can't be with his size) but he has shown a willingness to grind it out on the boards. He's taken plenty of hits... a body check does not have to be a clock-cleaning open ice bomb for it to be considered "a hit"..

This bugs me a lot. Playing a defensive or offensive zone legal interference is twice as effective as a big hit that takes both players out of the play. Playing these picks has become a much bigger part of the game in the past three seasons than hitting. Spooner plays his picks in the offensive zone well. He needs to work on his 200ft game, but that is to be expected from a rookie. I'm positive under Krejci, Bergeron, and Kelly; Spooner will find that aspect of his game.

Kelly at this point should be relegated to the 4th line with Soups and Paille. The energy line has become our checking line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad