GDT: Made by Alicat - 1/11| Ah, Sugar | Bruins @ Sharks|10:30pm ET| NESN, 100.7 WZLX FM

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Watch the video again.

Either way nice to see Loui back and hopefully that line with get a backbone and some grittiness back soon.

Very sloppy game and thankfully Tuukka rebounded and played a great game.

This team better be ready for Tuesday. Toronto may be awful but if the Bruins don't come out playing their game it will be a long night.

i know you won't give him credit but he was obviously a factor in that goal

follow this album I made to break it down (imgur wont work for some reason)

http://imgur.com/j9S7d07,mciqZJs,qz85UEF,RgWT22U#0

he plays the body and it allows soderberg to get the puck

soderberg collects the puck

soderberg loses the puck and it comes to spooner and he takes a hit to move the puck to soderberg

soderberg gets the puck back and it begins the sequence that leads to the goal.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Indeed, Spooner came in fast and knocked him off the puck. Eriksson played a role in that sequence too.

Really like the energy i'm seeing from him, gonna make it awfully interesting when Kelly comes back.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Yeah I'm not impressed our top 6 was completely M.I.A. this entire road trip. But as scary as that was last night you know that game had to feel good for Rask considering how he's struggled the past bit.

Definitely. Rask has been our MVP so far this season. For our team to win Rask, Chad etc pretty much has to keep the opponents under 3 goals or so.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
And our offense needs to ummm I don't know create some offense I guess. I feel sorry for Rask or any goalie who plays for the Bruins this season.. Still plenty of hockey to go and I know we haven't seen the best from this team yet..

Bruins are 11th in the league in goals for. It's not like they are bottom of the barrel or anything. They are more or less in a 5 way tie for 6th in league even.

That's true of just about every team in the league. Only 5 teams score more than 3 goals per game.

and this

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Absolutely. I'm at the point where I think our 4th line should be Paille-Kelly-rotation of Campbell/Thornton dependent on opponent and how the team is playing.
Campbell is bringing less than Kelly at this point, but is making a 4th liner's salary. Kelly is better at face offs, PK (marginally perhaps), skating, equal in offense in that there is none, and less in willingness to fight (which Campbell isn't doing anyways). Thornton is Thornton.

I am in this camp also. The way i see it... a true competition for the "final spot" on the B's [forward] rotation is not only a good scenario for the team moving forward, but it can only make the performance for all competing players that much better.

Depth is never a bad thing. Thornton in particular can use the rest down the stretch and be used in match-up situations. Getting some games off might prolong his career in Boston if he is a good sport about it.

The bottom line is what is best for the team. And Spooner has already established himself as deserving of more NHL experience (that he has earned) while we are still in the middle of the schedule, not right before or during the playoffs. He deserves the chance to get a close look centering the 3rd line with Soderberg/Eriksson.

His upside is worth moving Kelly to the 4th line, the move will be good for both lines IMO. Overpaid or not, Kelly still brings more than either Campbell (even if marginally) and the twilight version of Thornton.

This scenario just makes the most sense for now. We see where the team is at come playoff time, and cross that bridge when we get to it. I personally love the depth on the team and the fact that Soderberg-Spooner-Eriksson has a high chance of being a top-3 3rd line in the NHL.

As a unit, they can definitely create mismatches. Time will tell exactly how Spooner blossoms from this point forward... he's got a solid foundation to work with. Great body of work for such a young/inexperienced kid... people are generally excited and they should be!!! :handclap:

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
As for your (as well as a decent amount of people here) steadfast assumption that on Kelly's return he'll be playing on the 4th line...what happens if indeed, on his return, the lines return to they way they were before pre-injury bug hit? Loui back on the 2nd, Smith back on the 3rd (as it appears he's cooling off some) and reunited with Kelly & Soderberg, and Merlot being Merlot, and Spooner back to Providence? The same lines that were first in the Division & Conference on December 8th (despite the assertion that the team was worse off then)?

Last edited by a moderator:

member 96824

As for your (as well as a decent amount of people here) steadfast assumption that on Kelly's return he'll be playing on the 4th line...what happens if indeed, on his return, the lines return to they way they were before pre-injury bug hit? Loui back on the 2nd, Smith back on the 3rd (as it appears he's cooling off some) and reunited with Kelly & Soderberg, and Merlot being Merlot, and Spooner back to Providence? The same lines that were first in the Division & Conference on December 8th (despite the assertion that the team was worse off then)?

It would be a questionable move at best, as that third line carried a negative plus minus on a team with a massive goal differential, Loui struggled to get anything going with Bergeron and Marchand, a lack of clicking that seemed to hinder the offensive production of that whole line, and Spooner would be in a much worse situation for learning the things he needs to learn, having Craig Cunningham to watch instead of Krejci, Bergeron, Kelly, and Campbell...not to mention the coaching difference between the two levels.

We go into playoffs (healthy assumption) with Caron as our 13th forward, and Spooner not playing an NHL game for months...which is obviously less depth than having the luxury of Thornton as a 13th.

The lineup is significantly better with Spooner in it than Thornton on paper. Obviously we haven't seen what it could potentially do because it's never been fully healthy with Spooner involved....but if last night was an indication, that third line could create magic.

Kelly was on pace for 17 points in a full season. Not something we can have in the top 9 with the way we spread minutes. I think it's a disservice to Kelly, as putting him between Soderberg and Loui forces him to play a game he simply isn't made for. On the 4th he has linemates that compliment his strengths, making the B's a better overall team.

Spooner's development gives the B's a chance to have some seriously beautiful depth, a luxury in the regular season, a necessity in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

member 96824

I know you're enjoying Spooner's development. I've caught bits and pieces of the spirited twitter debates. :laugh:

I didn't really misread it and you're speaking more in general terms, but to say it's sad that someone isn't enjoying the development of a prospect...it just has that feeling of patting a petulant 10-year old on the head as if you pity them that they're confused or not understanding why they can't/won't/don't see things the way you do.

Just one man's perception 'tis all. Word choice is all we really have in this medium.

Ahhh yeah I meant sad as disappointing than pity. Not trying to be condescending, not really my style. We should be enjoying watching a prospect grow instead of trying to tear him down every chance. It's one thing to hold accountable, everyone should do that. It's another to say factually incorrect things to try and tear him down.

Anyways back to the play, it was a fantastic play from all three. Happy to see Spooner get in and use his speed to win board battles, that's so key for his development as he will obviously never out muscle anyone in his life.

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
IMO Spooner has taken over the role as the third line center. I'd be fine with Kelly as the center on the Merlot line, with Paille on the left wing and Campbell/Thornton on the right.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
IMO Spooner has taken over the role as the third line center. I'd be fine with Kelly as the center on the Merlot line, with Paille on the left wing and Campbell/Thornton on the right.

Hopefully Julien sees it the same way, and Spooner doesn't slump, forcing Julien's hand back to Kelly on 3rd line.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
While I like Spooner I am not so sure Spooner isn't sent back to Providence when Kelly returns.

We'll see but seems like we fans are making assumptions that may not be a reality.

Julien loves his Merlot line and he definitely relies on Kelly-and I'm just not convinced Spooner stays.

Either way two things Chia needs to do-replace Seids for the play offs and perhaps look at a better back up goalie situation. Johnson just isn't trusted enough by this team to put him in net.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
While I like Spooner I am not so sure Spooner isn't sent back to Providence when Kelly returns.

We'll see but seems like we fans are making assumptions that may not be a reality.

Julien loves his Merlot line and he definitely relies on Kelly-and I'm just not convinced Spooner stays.

Either way two things Chia needs to do-replace Seids for the play offs and perhaps look at a better back up goalie situation. Johnson just isn't trusted enough by this team to put him in net.

unless spooner turns into a game changer. which he is definitely not.
i agree though. if the playoffs started today, kelly would be on that #3 center spot.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
unless spooner turns into a game changer. which he is definitely not.
i agree though. if the playoffs started today, kelly would be on that #3 center spot.

Not directed at you but this mindset is what really boggles my mind when people argue about why Spooner should stay as the 3rd line center when Kelly is ready to come back.

Why isn't Kelly good enough to play this position in the regular season but come playoff time, he's the only one people want to see there?

IMO, if you want to play the position full time, you need to be able to do just that and by using this argument, people are basically admitting Ryan Spooner is simply not as NHL ready as some are touting him to be.

I'd really love to know why people think this way without being condescending.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Not directed at you but this mindset is what really boggles my mind when people argue about why Spooner should stay as the 3rd line center when Kelly is ready to come back.

Why isn't Kelly good enough to play this position in the regular season but come playoff time, he's the only one people want to see there?

IMO, if you want to play the position full time, you need to be able to do just that and by using this argument, people are basically admitting Ryan Spooner is simply not as NHL ready as some are touting him to be.

i wanted spooner called up because we lack speed.
3rd line center is the only opening for him.

i still wanna see for at least a couple games spooner in the middle with some talent on the wings. This week we will see if there is any chemistry on that line.

if that line lights it up. I think kelly will be the #4 center when he returns with campbell being the scratch.

playoffs are a different story. i havent seen spooner take or throw a hit yet.
i guess we have to see him play a couple games in the playoffs first to really know this for sure.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

From reading here and talking to other fans it seems relatively unanimous that regardless of regular season or postseason, we want him on the 4th line where he belongs. Spooner or a more skilled veteran rental can slot in on the 3rd line and bring offense.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

i still wanna see for at least a couple games spooner in the middle with some talent on the wings. This week we will see if there is any chemistry on that line.

if that line lights it up. I think kelly will be the #4 center when he returns with campbell being the scratch.

i guess we have to see him play a couple games in the playoffs first to really know this for sure.

He absolutely has taken and thrown hits

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

I hope Spooner stays for our playoff run, other then Marchy and Segs and Kessel (high potential/skilled players) Claude seems to (as we all know) be a veteran first kind of guy and doesn't seem to like/want rookie's or kids playing in the playoffs. He sat Hamilton and Soderberg when the playoffs began last year. While I see why Clode made those moves sitting Hamilton and Soderberg under their circumstances I wouldn't be shocked if Spooner was sat during the playoffs (if everyone is healthy that is) but I hope he doesn't.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I hope Spooner stays for our playoff run, other then Marchy and Segs and Kessel (high potential/skilled players) Claude seems to (as we all know) be a veteran first kind of guy and doesn't seem to like/want rookie's or kids playing in the playoffs. He sat Hamilton and Soderberg when the playoffs began last year. While I see why Clode made those moves sitting Hamilton and Soderberg under their circumstances I wouldn't be shocked if Spooner was sat during the playoffs (if everyone is healthy that is) but I hope he doesn't.

I really don't get this assertion that Claude hates rookies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Are you watching him? He gets more involved along the boards physically than Kessel and Seguin combined!

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Let me start off by saying that I don't feel that way.
But if I were to guess, I would say some people feel that way because Spooner is young and fairly untested at the NHL level. He has no playoff experience and that can make some people nervous about how he will perform against the better teams of the league. If he were to have problems being our 3rd line center during the regular season that is something we could overcome. If he were to have problems during the playoffs it would be much more serious. I think almost everyone is open to him being the 3rd line center during the regular season but some like the idea of having Chris Kelly in our back pocket in case things don't work out for him as 3rd line center. To an extent I agree with that but I don't particularly feel nervous about having Spooner there. I also think some of this is being realistic about what Claude Julien would prefer, many assume that he would be more comfortable having a vet that he knows.

For me, I think Chris Kelly is still valuable for this team but not in a 3rd line role anymore. I think his offensive skills no longer match those of his linemates, whether it is Soda/Smith or Soda/Eriksson. There's no question he is strong defensively and an important part of our PK but I don't think those skills justify ousting Spooner out of the 3rd line. I think if CK goes back on that line it becomes another version of the offensive black hole that it was last year and it will have a big negative effect on Soda/Smith/Eriksson's production potential. I think this team is stronger with the 3 scoring lines that I think they'd get with Spooner on the 3rd. I have a feeling our offense is going to be more important this year having lost Seidenberg and having a question mark on our defense situation. I think it would be a bad idea to go into the playoffs and assume Rask is going to be as phenomenal as he was against the Pens last year.

I think the benefits of having Spooner on the 3rd line far outweigh the risks. I'm willing to put up with the growing pains associated with new players when they are as good as he is. I hate looking back to what happened last year but I think of what a difference it could have been to have a scoring third line and cringe. And the beauty of this whole thing we can keep them both. Chris Kelly would fit seamlessly on the 4th line and probably do much better there. I couldn't give a flying **** about paying 3mill for a 4th liner if our roster is as strong as it will be with the 2 of them here. Spooner would not fit on the 4th at all so if Kelly goes back to the 3rd he will be sent down and I think he's earned his spot on this team.

That being said, it would not surprise me for Claude to go with the safer option of Kelly on the 3rd and for Spooner to get sent down. I don't think he is as obsessed with vet players as some think but I think there's a comfort level that he has with Kelly's game. I can see this being a much tougher decision for him. If the 3rd line takes off offensively it will make it even harder for him, especially with the top 2 lines underperforming lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad