News Article: MacKinnon wants to avoid Toronto cap situation (according to Forbes writer)

Do you think MacKinnon is telling the truth and is being honest in the Forbes article?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
What is the narrative here? Mack clearly said in the article that he was paid what he was worth when he signed his contract. He signed a back loaded deal and was only paid something like 4.5 mill in the first year that ramped up as he improved. He obviously outperformed that projection and thats great for the Avs.

How is that NOT a contract you would not be okay with?

Oh i meant as in if we were in year 1 of his contract at that time (when 6 m was a higher cap hit) and he was on his 16 goal/54 point pace this season. Leafs nation would be eating him alive.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
lol whats with the clickbait title? No where in the article does he bring up Toronto or our cap situation.
Dude ... you haven’t read the whole thread ... have you now? It’s addresed and answered on page 2. Why comment if you are not up to date with the comments?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
And that time in my early 20's when I sold my used car 30% below market value. Totally meant to do that. I was paying it forward.

coastalview

Sep 11, 2018
Dont believe it. It's fine to say that right now but reality is gonna set in when contract talks come up.

he says he is happy with his current contract
and has already made enough money to retire on
so he is clearly stating that he will sign for less in his future contract
then he is making in his current contract
he needs no more money
so i'm thinking 3 million x 8 years next contract
cuz he's made enough and it is good for his team

so maybe matthews and mariner will follow his lead ?

Reactions: Rogue Leader

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I saw many posts calling him a bust and to trade him. Apparently he spoke to a psychologist because he thought he was a bust ( not sure how true that one is though).

you are right though overpaid is a tad unfair, fairly paid is more fair. It was not one bit a steal when he signed it
Oh that's Duchene you are thinking of with the psychology stuff due to not playing well

Reactions: Walshy7

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
The Leaf young stars are spoiled entitled children that never had to work for a living. They just get handed expensive contracts for their talent alone and not what they have earned. The entire NHL is aware of their greed and because of that, they've become a laughing stock and the poster boys on 'how not to win an NHL championship'

you wouldn't last a day doing what they had to do their whole life to make the league.

what a pathetic comment.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Damn, when I first read the Forbes article I never thought the thread will explode to this level. Wow! I would like to thank everyone who commented or voted and wish you an amazing week full of pleasure and prosperity! Cheers friends and all the best! :)

Reactions: Primary Assist

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
he says he is happy with his current contract
and has already made enough money to retire on
so he is clearly stating that he will sign for less in his future contract
then he is making in his current contract
he needs no more money
so i'm thinking 3 million x 8 years next contract
cuz he's made enough and it is good for his team

so maybe matthews and mariner will follow his lead ?
By then they will have grown up it's quite possible to have happen.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
A lot of good teams have cap issues. The leafs issue is related to overpayment Of a select few and balance of contracts awarded to forwards / offence

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I certainly respect that he feels that way and we'll see if he follows through when the time comes. But I can both believe that there are players that care about money first and there are players that care about winning the Cup first. Everyone has their own priorities which is fine. Just know that I respect the latter more than the former.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
I certainly respect that he feels that way and we'll see if he follows through when the time comes. But I can both believe that there are players that care about money first and there are players that care about winning the Cup first. Everyone has their own priorities which is fine. Just know that I respect the latter more than the former.
It would be such a blessing if teams could read the players during the draft interviews and prioritize team-friendly players (heart, soul, slight home town discounts) over a bit more talanted Egocock players. I think we managed to pick the players with the worst character ... I still hope I am wrong. Also review who is the father!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad