News Article: MacKinnon wants to avoid Toronto cap situation (according to Forbes writer)

Do you think MacKinnon is telling the truth and is being honest in the Forbes article?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Agents have more than 1 client.

Don’t expect MacKinnon to sign anything less than 11.5M on his next contract.

This. The guys is absolutely cashing in on the next contract, depending on where the cap is he might even be going 12+.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Agents have more than 1 client.

Don’t expect MacKinnon to sign anything less than 11.5M on his next contract.

Yup, and if he doesn't follow Mack's wishes, he won't have Mack as a client.

Anyways, 11.5 mill could be a huge discount if the cap rises. We don't know if the cap will rise though since players do not want any more money in escrew and I think there's a recession coming up.

The only expectation is that Mack will sign a contract that allows Colorado to keep key players.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Looks like I'm the only one to give this a like. I took it mean this:

I think Mackinnon is a bit angry bitter at the selfishness good fortune of the Leafs top 4 players to have the opportunity to choose a personal big payday over team goals and was passive/aggressive with those comments.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Most of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. Mckinnon was NOT even worth his contract when he signed it, Colarado took a gamble on him that he'd fill his potential and it worked out. This absolute joke of a narrative needs to be put to bed, Nathan Mckinnon had 54 points in his contract year, and 52 points with 16 goals the year after signing.

Can you guys honestly say with a straight face that you'd be okay with that type of contract? Nylander had 60 points for two seasons before signing his contract 2 entire years after Mckinnon and he's been thrown through the mud here ever since as an over payment.

Good GMs pay for players' future production, not for their past.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Leaf young stars are spoiled entitled children that never had to work for a living. They just get handed expensive contracts for their talent alone and not what they have earned. The entire NHL is aware of their greed and because of that, they've become a laughing stock and the poster boys on 'how not to win an NHL championship'

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
That thin mountain air seems to be impacting your reading comprehension.

If you want to twist other people’s words like your original post, don’t be mad about other doing the same to you. Thats what I was trying to show you, but I guess you have reading comprehension problems.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If you want to twist other people’s words like your original post, don’t be mad about other doing the same to you. Thats what I was trying to show you, but I guess you have reading comprehension problems.

What "you were trying to show me" is as incoherent as your other replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That is due your lack of reading comprehension.

If you're into keeping this nonsense going, what were you telling me exactly in the original reply? Surely you weren't suggesting that I think the overpayments to Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares is a good thing.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
If you're into keeping this nonsense going, what were you telling me exactly in the original reply? Surely you weren't suggesting that I think the overpayments to Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares is a good thing.

That you shouldn’t try to misinterpret or twist someone else’s comments. How do you know Mack is “bitter” over the leaf top 4’s “good fortunes@?

How about I interpret it as you being jealous that Mack is willing to take less money to help out his team? If thats not the case, then perhaps you are happy to have the leaf top 4 paid more than their peers.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
The Leaf young stars are spoiled entitled children that never had to work for a living. They just get handed expensive contracts for their talent alone and not what they have earned. The entire NHL is aware of their greed and because of that, they've become a laughing stock and the poster boys on 'how not to win an NHL championship'

It takes a lot of hard work to get to the NHL one and then it takes even more work to be a premier player. I wouldn't say they haven't had to work for a living. Are they worth their current contracts? You could make a case for Nylander, but Matthews has looked mediocre as of last and that Marner deal is way too rich.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That you shouldn’t try to misinterpret or twist someone else’s comments. How do you know Mack is “bitter” over the leaf top 4’s misfortunes?

How about I interpret it as you being jealous that Mack is willing to take less money to help out his team? If thats not the case, then perhaps you are happy to have the leaf top 4 paid more than their peers.

That isn't what you said originally. But I'll bite: I absolutely and unequivocally think MacKinnon is green with envy of the money those Leafs players extracted from my salary cap-sabotaged favourite team. And he's rationalizing it out loud because he is easily a better player than every single one of them. Imagine making half the money of players you know you're better than: you better paint a new narrative to not feel like a total sucker.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
That isn't what you said originally. But I'll bite: I absolutely and unequivocally think MacKinnon is green with envy of the money those Leafs players extracted from my salary cap-sabotaged favourite team. And he's rationalizing it out loud because he easily a better player than every single one of them. Imagine making half the money of players you know you're better than: you better paint a new narrative to not feel like a total sucker.

That is your opinion. My opinion is that you are jealous over the fact that there are players in this league who are not greedy and they can be satisfied with the 40+ millions they have already earned.

MacKinnon has never once commented on the leaf players, he stated clearly (if anyone reads the original article here) that he was paid what he was worth at the time. He is currently outplaying that contract and he is willing to be underpaid again if it helps his team.

From the article:
“I was just excited to get paid that much money at such a young age,” MacKinnon said Wednesday from his visitor’s room stall in Toronto. “Obviously it’s pretty (team) friendly now, but I was worth that at the time … I have no regrets.”

"MacKinnon was willing to play the what-if game, but he has made peace with what he signed up for. He said he already has enough money for retirement and, as a person who doesn’t come from a wealthy background, feels “very blessed.”
---

Reading comprehension is definitely a problem here if you thought he was "bitter" based on reading the article (if you even read it).

Reactions: Blowfish

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Most of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. Mckinnon was NOT even worth his contract when he signed it, Colarado took a gamble on him that he'd fill his potential and it worked out. This absolute joke of a narrative needs to be put to bed, Nathan Mckinnon had 54 points in his contract year, and 52 points with 16 goals the year after signing.

Can you guys honestly say with a straight face that you'd be okay with that type of contract? Nylander had 60 points for two seasons before signing his contract 2 entire years after Mckinnon and he's been thrown through the mud here ever since as an over payment.
In 2016, MacKinnon coming off the year he did, had to decide whether to bet on himself because he was a highly touted #1 pick or take some security. He opted for security.

Some players do not perform in a contract year. Pressure would have been massive on him following a 52 point season on the first year of a bridge contract. But, he stepped up huge and was a Hart finalist.

Main issue for him was doing 7 years vs something shorter. At least match Barkov's 6 year term. $400K more per year for 7 years is $2.8 million. Barkov should get over $9 million, very likely 8 figures on his next deal to more than make up that difference.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Its a huge irony of this thresd.

Mack got an inflated contract because of his draft status. Though it paid off long term for the team

Reactions: Rogue Leader

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That is your opinion. My opinion is that you are jealous over the fact that there are players in this league who are not greedy and they can be satisfied with the 40+ millions they have already earned.

MacKinnon has never once commented on the leaf players, he stated clearly (if anyone reads the original article here) that he was paid what he was worth at the time. He is currently outplaying that contract and he is willing to be underpaid again if it helps his team.

From the article:
“I was just excited to get paid that much money at such a young age,” MacKinnon said Wednesday from his visitor’s room stall in Toronto. “Obviously it’s pretty (team) friendly now, but I was worth that at the time … I have no regrets.”

"MacKinnon was willing to play the what-if game, but he has made peace with what he signed up for. He said he already has enough money for retirement and, as a person who doesn’t come from a wealthy background, feels “very blessed.”
---

Reading comprehension is definitely a problem here if you thought he was "bitter" based on reading the article (if you even read it).

You know I'm right, that's all I need to say. Be happy that Sakic signed him to such a great contract. Bitter/jealous/envious absolutely but full credit to him for putting on a good public front and kicking whatever bad habits were holding him back in his first 4 years in the league.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Tslk is especially cheap on an age where you get instant gratification and praise on social media.

We'll see if he follow through with that claim dueing his new contrsct.

Regardless we shouldnt EXPECT players to give discounts, they are under no moral or professional obligation too. But that said, they DO open themsleves to criticism if their on ice play doesnt meet expectations based on new contracts

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You know I'm right, that's all I need to say. Be happy that Sakic signed him to such a great contract. Bitter/jealous/envious absolutely but full credit to him for putting on a good public front and kicking whatever bad habits were holding him back in his first 4 years in the league.

I'm happy to have a player who is on a great contract.

Also happy that Mack is so bitter about his peer's deals that he is willing to take less money on his next contract just to prove a point that money isn't important. (this part is facetious, if you did not understand.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad