News Article: MacKinnon wants to avoid Toronto cap situation (according to Forbes writer)

Do you think MacKinnon is telling the truth and is being honest in the Forbes article?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Most of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. Mckinnon was NOT even worth his contract when he signed it, Colarado took a gamble on him that he'd fill his potential and it worked out. This absolute joke of a narrative needs to be put to bed, Nathan Mckinnon had 54 points in his contract year, and 52 points with 16 goals the year after signing.

Can you guys honestly say with a straight face that you'd be okay with that type of contract? Nylander had 60 points for two seasons before signing his contract 2 entire years after Mckinnon and he's been thrown through the mud here ever since as an over payment.

What is the narrative here? Mack clearly said in the article that he was paid what he was worth when he signed his contract. He signed a back loaded deal and was only paid something like 4.5 mill in the first year that ramped up as he improved. He obviously outperformed that projection and thats great for the Avs.

How is that NOT a contract you would not be okay with?

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Curse these players for making more money. They should make minimum wage like most of the people in this thread! Don’t they know they make millions that get taxed in half + escrow + paying your agent fees??? Geez. Take less Mac you live in shitty Nova Scotia where no one cares.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Guys ... what would happen if we trade Matthews for MacKinnon, Marner for Panarin and Nylander for Max Domi? Are we a better team? (And how insane are these trades?)

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
Some contracts age to be team friendly, others age player friendly. Most age somewhere down the middle. Outliers are surprisingly not the norm.

I'm guessing most people would be happy relocating for a 50k per year raise. That's 1:100th of what Mackinnon could be making on top of what he currently makes. Good answer though, being openly bitter is not advantageous

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Good GMs pay for players' future production, not for their past.
The contract he got was in line with past production though, just like every other contract. And as usual with good second contract RFA's, the GM probably had faith that the player would become much better and easily worth the money on a longer term contract. Which they pretty much are from the start, to be honest. Second contract RFA's are the most underpaid group in the league.

But there was nothing that stood out about that contract at the time. If anything, it was a bit much, even compared to other RFAs that get term because their GM bets on their future production.

Yup, and if he doesn't follow Mack's wishes, he won't have Mack as a client.

Anyways, 11.5 mill could be a huge discount if the cap rises. We don't know if the cap will rise though since players do not want any more money in escrew and I think there's a recession coming up.

The only expectation is that Mack will sign a contract that allows Colorado to keep key players.
That would be great for you guys. Just a word of warning, it's not the first time I've heard players say something like this beforehand and the cases I remember has ended up with me thinking: 'If that's what he considers a discount then what did he believe he was worth in the first place?'

It's a great quote, and it's a good source for optimism. Just retain some measure of skepticism for your own sake.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
No, no, its what I said. We've really gone so far we can't say Rielly and Freddy have good contracts? This is not up for debate.
I didn't say they were on bad deals , if you divide the cap by the numbers of mouths to feed they are above the curve . I asked if in contrast to the gross overpayments of some of their team mates maybe their deals look better than they are .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Norris voting last year by cap hit...

1. Giordano 6,75 million
2. Burns 8 million
3. Hedman 7.85 million
4. Carlson 8 million
5. Rielly 5 million
6. Letang 7.25 million
7. Josi, steal at 4 million... extended for 9 million
8. McDonaugh 4.7...extended for 6.75
9. Jones a steal at 5.4 million
10. Ekholm 4 million

Obviously that was good value. Or should I pull up a list of dmen making 5 million as well?

How about pulling up a list of D men that were making 5 million when we signed Reilly for that ? you know actual comparative numbers .

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1st 4 seasons paces (signed after 3):

Auston: 69, 83, 88, (85)
Mitch: 61, 69, 94, (78)
Willy: 49, 61, 61, (41)
MacK: 63, 49, 59, (53)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
1st 4 seasons paces (signed after 3):

Auston: 69, 83, 88, (85)
Mitch: 61, 69, 94, (78)
Willy: 49, 61, 61, (41)
MacK: 63, 49, 59, (53)

You'd think that any stats guy would understand that age has a huge factor in production.... Why are you ignoring age year?

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Wow this narrative is taking off. He was overpaid on that deal, he had nylander like numbers not elite 1c numbers. Avalanche fans wanted him traded after he signed for $6.3m and he put up 53 points the year after signing. Matthews and marner’s elc were another level from his and nylander a similar level to his.

So what you are complaining about is that our kids came in and immediately succeeded instead of struggling
Mostly wrong because his first season he immediatly was good... Even though regular seasons he wasn't consistent, in the playoffs he was a superstar... After his series against the Minnesota wild everyone knew it was only time before he was a top 5 player in the league... Absolutely not overpaid at the time and nobody wanted him traded.

His absolute playoff dominance is what separates him from the leafs young guns

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
You can tell by watching Mackinnon play that his compete level (especially in playoffs) is light years ahead of our young players. We can only hope they will get there but not looking good considering their attitude is completely different from a team vs "me" perspective.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Mostly wrong because his first season he immediatly was good... Even though regular seasons he wasn't consistent, in the playoffs he was a superstar... After his series against the Minnesota wild everyone knew it was only time before he was a top 5 player in the league... Absolutely not overpaid at the time and nobody wanted him traded.

His absolute playoff dominance is what separates him from the leafs young guns

I saw many posts calling him a bust and to trade him. Apparently he spoke to a psychologist because he thought he was a bust ( not sure how true that one is though).

you are right though overpaid is a tad unfair, fairly paid is more fair. It was not one bit a steal when he signed it

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
MacKinnon wasn't in the playoffs his 2nd., 3rd. or 4th. NHL season, and in his 5th. season he played 6 post season games.
Now last year at age 23 he went to the 2nd. round.
He and Rantanen started to produce the same year, and that's when Rantanen scored 29 goals at age 21.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
lol whats with the clickbait title? No where in the article does he bring up Toronto or our cap situation.

Reactions: Dog

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
do you guys believe MacK is being honest? lol. what else is he supposed to say? "no way, i'm gonna sign at max money?" makes him sound douchy and entitled and a good way to piss avs fans off.

also, is he gonna say, yea i regret sign my contract which was signed below market value to where is he is now as a player?

i bet he signs near league max at his next contract.

i'm willing to be if pasta or macK were RFAs last summer, they would have taken both the bruins and avs to the cleaners. those teams got lucky and locked their RFA's before mcdavid signed his huge contract. we were unlucky with RFAs cause we signed them after mcdavid's contract.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ok.

Age 18

MacK 63

Age 19

Auston 69
Marner 61
Willy 49
MacK 49

Age 20

Auston 83
Mitch 69
Willy 61
MacK 59

Age 21

Mitch 94
Auston 88
Willy 61
MacK 53

looks worse for mak honestly. 1year more in The league at same ages and out scored by willy in 2 of them and equal in another. marner and Matthews elc far outproducing MacKinnons. Goes to show players on “great” contracts they didn’t start out great they were fair at best

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
This doesnt mean hes taking 7m on his next deal.

It means hes taking 15 when he could ask for 16
Correct, at least he will be well worth his contract as a proven/physical/unselfish impact player.

I would still appreciate the 1M discount, heck even as little 250-500K less he's willing to take.. unlike our RFAs. We could really use every extra cap room right about now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad