News Article: MacKinnon wants to avoid Toronto cap situation (according to Forbes writer)

Do you think MacKinnon is telling the truth and is being honest in the Forbes article?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Mod: Note:

Read the article to get the proper balance.

“I was just excited to get paid that much money at such a young age,” MacKinnon said Wednesday from his visitor’s room stall in Toronto. “Obviously it’s pretty (team) friendly now, but I was worth that at the time … I have no regrets.”

My mood became even worse.
I was just reading Forbes and guess what came up ...

There’s a silver lining for MacKinnon, too. Thanks to his team-friendly deal, the Avalanche were well within their means to sign 30-goal scorer Mikko Rantanen, the final RFA holdout this fall, who signed for six years at $9.25 AAV.
Colorado still has over $5 million in cap space, which will help quite a bit next year when RFAs such as Andre Burakovsky and Nikita Zadorov are due for contracts.
That’s a luxury not afforded to some other teams, including the Toronto Maple Leafs, who have more than $33 million committed to three players (Auston Matthews, John Tavares and Mitch Marner) for the next four seasons. The Maple Leafs have maxed out the salary cap and have five of their top-six defensemen set for free agency after this season.
That’s the type of situation MacKinnon wants to avoid. Balanced teams are often the ones left standing at the end of the playoffs, which is where he wants to be. Deals like his, as unfair as they might be, help make that happen.
“We have guys that we wouldn’t (otherwise) be able to bring in,” MacKinnon said. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group.”

I wish our players had the mindset of this bright young man. Turning off my PC. Good night. We have a lot to think about.

Here is the article link: ‘I Have No Regrets’: Nathan MacKinnon On Being Underpaid, The Shifting RFA Market

Here is another amazing statement:
MacKinnon was willing to play the what-if game, but he has made peace with what he signed up for. He said he already has enough money for retirement and, as a person who doesn’t come from a wealthy background, feels “very blessed.”

HUGE EDIT: As @Leaf Fans pointed out it seems that the part "That’s a luxury not afforded to some other teams, including the Toronto Maple Leafs, who have more than $33 million committed to three players (Auston Matthews, John Tavares and Mitch Marner) for the next four seasons. The Maple Leafs have maxed out the salary cap and have five of their top-six defensemen set for free agency after this season", comes from the Forbes writer and is not stated by MacKinnon. I have added a poll to the thread to make up for the initial confusion and make the thread more interesting! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
My mood became even worse.
I was just reading Forbes and guess what came up ...

I wish our players had the mindset of this bright young man. Turning off my PC. Good night. We have a lot to think about.

Here is the article link: ‘I Have No Regrets’: Nathan MacKinnon On Being Underpaid, The Shifting RFA Market

Here is another amazing statement:

Wow this narrative is taking off. He was overpaid on that deal, he had nylander like numbers not elite 1c numbers. Avalanche fans wanted him traded after he signed for $6.3m and he put up 53 points the year after signing. Matthews and marner’s elc were another level from his and nylander a similar level to his.

So what you are complaining about is that our kids came in and immediately succeeded instead of struggling

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Wow this narrative is taking off. He was overpaid on that deal, he had nylander like numbers not elite 1c numbers. Avalanche fans wanted him traded after he signed for $6.3m and he put up 53 points the year after signing. Matthews and marner’s elc were another level from his and nylander a similar level to his.

So what you are complaining about is that our kids came in and immediately succeeded instead of struggling
It might be fake now, I don't know, but I am complaining about the mindset. Why nobody here says: “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group” (without the again part). How come the Bergeron line took less? Why did the Tampa players take friendly deals? They are not even born there!!! Marner is a Toronto boy and he made Dubas the laughing stock of the league, unfortunately.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Nylander really? It's two guys really.

You would think so, but a large swath of Leafs fans deeply despise Nylander.

Here's what one had to say of him earlier this evening:

Nylander has 3 blocked shots this season. That really says it all. Known playoff losers like Panarin and Taylor Hall are at the bottom of their bottom feeding teams in terms of blocked shots, and they still have more than Nylander.

I will say that Nylander is the most unlikeable player I’ve seen in Leafs uniform. I don’t believe you can win a championship with players like Nylander, who do not do what it takes to win. The Leafs have been mediocre ever since Nylander came back after his extension. I absolutely hate watching him play.

I like certain players like Hyman, Marner, Kappy and Andersen. Overall the team is unlikable.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
It might be fake now, I don't know, but I am complaining about the mindset. Why nobody here says: “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group” (without the again part). How come the Bergeron line took less? Why did the Tampa players take friendly deals? They are not even born there!!! Marner is a Toronto boy and he made Dubas the laughing stock of the league, unfortunately.

Ill believe it when I see it. Its pretty rare for players to take discounts. It was perceieved that JT took a discount and everybody is still complaining about the caphit. Also when he says he will take less "again". He didnt take less than he deserved last time so I dont believe this for a second.

What happens when Mackinnon thinks hes worth full value contract but instead "only" signs for like 14m/yr.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

ummmmm Bergeron took what he could. Tampa has tax breaks.

mackinnon was overpaid and avs fans wanted him gone

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia

I personally like Nylander as a person, he is a cool dude. Also a creative hockey player. But I personally blame him for opening the flood gates that led to our current cap situation. Thanks to his old father and his greed, he made Willy hold out and squeeze everything from young Dubas. All the other players watched and they followed, unfortunately. :(

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Ill believe it when I see it. Its pretty rare for players to take discounts. It was perceieved that JT took a discount and everybody is still complaining about the caphit. Also when he says he will take less "again". He didnt take less than he deserved last time so I dont believe this for a second.

What happens when Mackinnon thinks hes worth full value contract but instead "only" signs for like 14m/yr.

Yep, I don't think he's taking less AAV than McDavid or Matthews when his contract is up in 3 years....the cap might be $6 plus million higher by then.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

We really don't learn in this fan base eh? Take that whole Nylander quote but replace Nylander with Kessel and go back a few years, I would bet someone typed that exact same thing and we now know that a team can in fact win with that type of player (twice by the way).

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Mackinnon had 52 pts in 72 games when he signed. He then followed it up with 53 pts.

Imagine Matthews or Marner with that kind of season. They would have been ripped apart on HF. This is why this is just a case of someone outperforming their contract.

Same with Draisaitl.

Love the sentiment but he didn't take a penny less than he deserved at that point in his career.

horner

May 22, 2007
ummmmm Bergeron took what he could. Tampa has tax breaks.

mackinnon was overpaid and avs fans wanted him gone

All of those contracts are different
Different time
Different tax situation

Brayden Point
2022-23
His salary will be 9 mil ( qualifying offer ) with the tax savings playing in tbay

Bergeron's contract was signed 5yrs ago
2014-15
6.875 mil

You can't use these examples to make an argument against Mathews and Marner

If MacKinnon bis true to his word sign for the salary he is at today , alot of these players are Full of shit.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016

Avs’ fans wanted him traded? Lol nonsense!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad