• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Numbers are way off.
OV 09/10: 1.51 PPG
Malkin 11/12: 1.45 PPG

So no, MacK isn't playing at that level. Although I think he has been the best player in the league this season.
You are correct I went a little too quickly through their stats and posted their second best seasons my bad! But 1.45 is pretty close to 1.36, and Ovechkins 1.51 is his only season where he’s noticeably above Mackinnon. So maybe not peak Ovechkin, but very comparable to peak Malkin and prime Ovechkin, while being better than peak Mcdavid.

Last edited:

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
111 pts over 82 game span? Ya, probably. I think that's Mack's ceiling too though.
Matthews does not have a 100 point ceilling lol ( i don't think Mackinnon will score 100+points going forward but 90+ is a good bet)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You are correct I went a little too quickly through their stats and posted their second best seasons my bad! But 1.45 is pretty close to 1.36, and Ovechkins 1.51 is his only season where he’s noticeably above Mackinnon. So maybe not peak Ovechkin, but very comparable to peak Malkin and prime Ovechkin, while being better than peak Mcdavid.

You also have to consider scoring is up this year and that Ovechkin had 65 goals in another season.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
You also have to consider scoring is up this year and that Ovechkin had 65 goals in another season.
Yea I’m not saying Mackinnon is better than those guys, actually the contrary. The fact that he’s having at the very least a comparable season probably means that this is his career year. I just meant the comparison as a way to show how dominant he’s been this year, he has the highest ppg since Malkins 11-12 season.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yea I’m not saying Mackinnon is better than those guys, actually the contrary. The fact that he’s having at the very least a comparable season probably means that this is his career year. I just meant the comparison as a way to show how dominant he’s been this year, he has the highest ppg since Malkins 11-12 season.

Yeah, I could see him having more seasons like this though, afterall he was a highly touted 1st overall pick who is only 22 years old, he could actually get better.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if this is Mackinnon going forward PPG+ / carrying a team that has one line, than him. Matthews if he continues to progress though.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
shhhhhh you shouldnt go back to sleeeeep. sssshhhhhhhhhh.

Oh he plays for Colorado?

Yup...you are correct. I shouldn't. Hopefully he gets to play for a larger market at some point in his career, help get his name out there.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Oh he plays for Colorado?

Yup...you are correct. I shouldn't. Hopefully he gets to play for a larger market at some point in his career, help get his name out there.

yeah not like any player ever got a big name in colorado, maybe they will relocate to iqaluit to be in the canadian spotlight

Reactions: cgf

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
yeah not like any player ever got a big name in colorado, maybe they will relocate to iqaluit to be in the canadian spotlight

Sakic got his name from Quebec, Roy from Montreal, and Bourque from Boston.

I haven't a clue about any home grown player in your market.

If you really cared for the kid, you'd let him make some merch bank and trade him to either New York, Toronto or Montreal.

Montreal could really use him.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Sakic got his name from Quebec, Roy from Montreal, and Bourque from Boston.

I haven't a clue about any home grown player in your market.

If you really cared for the kid, you'd let him make some merch bank and trade him to either New York, Toronto or Montreal.

Montreal could really use him.

nice try.

Matthews +++++

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008
Yeah with Selke like defensive play.

So 100 points, 50+ goals and Selke like defensive play.

I'll take it considering Malkin and Ovechkin peaked at 110 points.

Wow this Selke winning Matthews who scored 100pts with over 50g sounds like an amazing player! If only he were real...

Reactions: snipes

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah with Selke like defensive play.

So 100 points, 50+ goals and Selke like defensive play.

I'll take it considering Malkin and Ovechkin peaked at 110 points.
Mackinnons not on pace for 100 points though, he’s on pace for that Ovechkin/Malkin 111 points. As a poster that has watched the entirety of both careers, Mackinnon just has an extra gear, he just doesn’t play with it consistently. Mackinnon has a higher ceiling, but Matthews is much more consistent night in night out. Mackinnon has already shown this prior to this season. He had the best memorial cup in recent history (13 points in 4 games), was the best player on his World Cup team, and was the best player in the entire first round of the playoffs the one time he made it (as an 18 year old). When he’s feeling it, he can do things that Matthews just can’t. He’s definitely proven himself to be a big game player. As players I’m not sure who I’d take, as Mackinnon is better when they’re both at their best but he needs to prove he can keep it up. Future contracts will also play a huge part in this, as Matthews might make 4-5 million more per season.

Reactions: cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad