Who do you take going forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Homer vote Matthews (going forward), but MacKinnon is on another level from basically everyone this year. Wonder if he can keep up this kind of domination.

Reactions: cgf

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Leafs fan saying Mack right now. I think by the end of their careers Matthews will have the more consistent career but I don’t think he’ll ever have a season as good as Mack is right now.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Matthews going forward. MacK is better right now though (offensively).

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Just like it was dumb to compare MacK's season on a horrid Avs team last year to other young stars, I also think it's rather rather dumb to just up and away declare him better than any one of them now.

IMO the best younglings in the league after McJesus who I think we can all agree is a tier above the rest are (in no specific order), Johnny Hockey, Matthews, MacK, Drai, Eichel, Barkov and more recently making a scene, Barzal.

I can definitely see anyone of those guys having the best career in that group. MacK's current season is absolutely phenomenal and if he keeps it up for multiple seasons then I think he makes a case for himself separating from the pack all other factors remaining equal but the same can be said for others in the age group.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I wouldn’t trade Mack for Matthews. I don’t expect Leafs would either. I expect both will end up with similar careers, trading off on which is better Delong on who is having the better year.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Mack is having an amazing season, i understand why most people would pick him. Matthews is still very early in his career and has a complete package at such a young age. Mack for the next 1-2 years, Matthews after

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
As a poster that’s watched almost the entirety of both careers, Matthews first two years were way better than Mackinnons, but Mackinnon is playing at a level right now that Matthews hasn’t come close to hitting. I think it really comes down Mackinnon, as Matthews is such a safe player. I think Matthews is going to be very consistent throughout his career as an 80 point guy. With Mackinnon, I’m not as sure. He definitely is more naturally skilled and has a higher ceiling, but he doesn’t have that Matthews like robotic playstyle that guarantees him to always have a good season. Contracts going forward are going to factor in pretty heavily as well.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Homer vote Matthews (going forward), but MacKinnon is on another level from basically everyone this year. Wonder if he can keep up this kind of domination.

It's pretty awesome that he's only 22, he could be great for a long time.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Matthews, just going to get better

And might never reach the level that MacKinnon is currently at.

I like Matthews but there’s no guarantee he ever gets to MacKinnons level of play this season.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

I like Matthews but there’s no guarantee he ever gets to MacKinnons level of play this season.
true, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he does. he just has to improve on the PP and maintain his ES excellence. MacKinnon is just an absolute beast though

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

one great season doesnt mean hes forever better. I love Mac and all but one year ago I think this poll wouldve been 80-15 Matthews.

Another classic case of what have you done for me lately.

Reactions: 22FUTON9

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

There's also no guarantee Mackinnon sustains this level of play. Would I really trade Matthews for a 100 point scorer even if that 100 point scorer never hits 100 points again?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There's also no guarantee Mackinnon sustains this level of play. Would I really trade Matthews for a 100 point scorer even if that 100 point scorer never hits 100 points again?

True, but isn't the guy who's actually hit 100 points more likely to hit 100 points again than the guy who's never even come close?

Reactions: slobbergob

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
True, but isn't the guy who's actually hit 100 points more likely to hit 100 points again than the guy who's never even come close?

To be fair, going into the year, if you asked me to put money on Matthews or Mack to hit 100 this year, I'd say neither hits it but gun to my head, I'd choose Matty.

I wouldn't exactly have a ton of confidence in a guy who is in his 5th season with a career high of 24 goals and 63 points recorded in his rookie season. Also, a ton of guys reach 100 points for a year never to hit that peak again. It's not like once you hit 100, you're a lock for 100 the following season. It almost never happens unless you have a pedigree for always being an elite scorer throughout your career (and have been unlucky because of injuries).

List of NHL players with 100-point seasons - Wikipedia

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Depends. A lot of factors go into it. Like age and experience. And right now its just a one time thing for Mac. If a kid could come into the league and immediately pot in 40 goals in his first year in the league with only rookies on his line, I'd say the chances are similar. Now if 100 pts are repeated then sure without a doubt. But at the start of next season, both players start off at 0pts. And thats what needs to be remembered.

besser

Dec 27, 2017
Vancouver

Well Matthews won't ever even sniff 100 points.

Would you have traded Heatley in his prime for a prime Crosby?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

Heatley hit 50 goals and a 100 points in back to back seasons. Crosby has done it 5 times. I don't know what your point is. Heatley had a ton of personal issues that ruined his career which is something that Crosby hasn't had to deal with.

besser

Dec 27, 2017
Vancouver
Heatley hit 50 goals and a 100 points in back to back seasons. Crosby has done it 5 times. I don't know what your point is. Heatley had a ton of personal issues that ruined his career which is something that Crosby hasn't had to deal with.
You're totally right, I forgot Heater got 100 points as well as the 50 goals. Matthews will never get 100 points so this is a moot point.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
You're totally right, I forgot Heater got 100 points as well as the 50 goals. Matthews will never get 100 points so this is a moot point.
Thanks Nostradamus. Did he kick your dog? I know Matty can be a real meany sometimes.

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
MacKinnon is having a career year he won't touch again. Matthews for sure from next year onwards (though I also don't think Matthews will have a season like Mackinnon is having right now)

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

That's cute, but if you want a reasonable response, come up with a something better than an embarrassing comparison (Heatley got 100pts btw genius) and a piss poor prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad