Proposal: MacKinnon for Hanifin +

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
No, he actually doesn't have to negotiate with them at all. All he has to do is wait for them to give him a QO (which they obviously will) and he signs that. No negotiations are needed.

Quit being [MOD]. There is a massive difference between an RFA and a UFA, and I shouldn't have to say that. As such, your scenario only applies if Johansen is dead set on not playing in Nashville, a la Ryan Suter, rather than if he wants to get paid, a la Ryan O'Reilly.

Age doesn't really matter that much if he leaves as a UFA in 2.5 years, right?

It is far more palatable to give an expensive long term deal a 25 year old than a 29 year old.

]Yes, Nashville was farther along in their build than Carolina is. .

You say this like it's a minor detail...

Nashville had finished 3rd in the Eest the previous year. Carolina hasn't made the playoffs in 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Quit being [MOD]. There is a massive difference between an RFA and a UFA, and I shouldn't have to say that. As such, your scenario only applies if Johansen is dead set on not playing in Nashville, a la Ryan Suter, rather than if he wants to get paid, a la Ryan O'Reilly.

It is far more palatable to give an expensive long term deal a 25 year old than a 29 year old.

You say this like it's a minor detail...

Nashville had finished 3rd in the Eest the previous year. Carolina hasn't made the playoffs in 8.

One year of RFA isn't the huge difference you're claiming. If he had 3+ RFA years left, maybe. On top of that, Johansen held out of training camp before signing his current deal with Columbus, prior to the trade. Who knows what his intentions are, or what he will do, if Nashville doesn't give him exactly what he wants.

I thought we were working under the assumption that Duchene would be leaving in 2 years, so he's worthless. Now it's an issue with him being 28 (not 29) when his new contract starts?

Also, Nashville finished 3rd in the West the previous year, and 10th and 13th in the West the two years before that. They weren't exactly a perennial playoff contender when they made that trade.

How many more years can Carolina continue to muddle along at the bottom of the standings before there is some urgency to improve the team? Colorado has been out of the playoffs for 3 years right now, and people seem to believe they need to trade everyone and fire their entire front office staff. When does that happen in Carolina?

Last edited by a moderator:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
One year of RFA isn't the huge difference you're claiming.

Yes, it is! The fact that Johansen is an RFA makes him significantly easier to re sign.

I thought we were working under the assumption that Duchene would be leaving in 2 years, so he's worthless. Now it's an issue with him being 28 (not 29) when his new contract starts?

If Carolina re signs Duchene, it will be a long term, expensive deal (which, in part, is why I think he leaves via FA. Carolina can not outbid the free market, nor do I think it is wise to).

Signing a guy who will be 32 when it is over vs 35 is a big difference.

Also, Nashville finished 3rd in the West the previous year, and 10th and 13th in the West the two years before that.

Between 2006 and 2012, the Predators missed the postseason once.

But back to the original point: Nashville was a 1st line center away from legitimate contention. Carolina is not.

They re not comparable.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yes, it is! The fact that Johansen is an RFA makes him significantly easier to re sign.

If Carolina re signs Duchene, it will be a long term, expensive deal (which, in part, is why I think he leaves via FA. Carolina can not outbid the free market, nor do I think it is wise to).

Signing a guy who will be 32 when it is over vs 35 is a big difference.

Between 2006 and 2012, the Predators missed the postseason once.

But back to the original point: Nashville was a 1st line center away from legitimate contention. Carolina is not.

They re not comparable.

How easy was Johansen to re-sign as a RFA coming off his ELC? Didn't he hold out and miss all of camp and the pre-season that year? Why is he going to suddenly act differently with only 1 year left? Is Nashville just going to give him a blank check?

And, if you aren't able to give Duchene incentive to stay, why will your current group of defensemen stay longer than the 7 years that are essentially mandated by the CBA? Should we just wait a few years and grab Slavin as a UFA (he is from here)? Is Skinner gone in 2 years? Who is going to be in G when Lack leaves?

And, I'd appreciate if you'd answer my question. How much longer does Carolina have until there is some urgency for them to be successful? Is ownership content with playing the long game, hoping to build through the draft?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
How much longer does Carolina have until there is some urgency for them to be successful?

No offense, but why do you care so deeply that you have to ask this question like every other post?

Is ownership content with playing the long game, hoping to build through the draft?

What's your definition of long? Because they only started this rebuild starting in the 14-15 season. That's not a very long time, in which to build a young defense core that is the envy of the league and put together a really solid group of forwards. Frankly, it's one of the fastest and most effective rebuilds, along with the Leafs, that the league has seen in a long time when you consider they basically didn't have a prospect pool at all when they started.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
And, I'd appreciate if you'd answer my question.

You can't sincerely ask that after two paragraphs of deflection. I don't see the point of continuing.

But to answer your question, in 2-3 years imo, if all of their forward prospects fail to a man in becoming a top 6 forward and Jeff Skinner leaves in FA.

Is ownership content with playing the long game, hoping to build through the draft?

Yes.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Carolina did recently change their front office. They switched coaches and GMs. Unfortunately, the previous GM left a mess behind with contracts that were still a few years from expiring.

Thus, Francis (and the Canes) didn't really get to begin his rebuild until recently. And the fact that the team has shown positive signs moving forward, in particular from the young players we've acquired, the urgency isn't as great as you make it out to be.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
What star players have they traded for and lost for nothing? And, no, Sekera isn't a star player.

Sekera was a top pair dman that would've broke 50 pts over a full season. That's pretty much star player production from a defender.

It's just too much of a risk to take on Duchene when he is a UFA in 2 years and Carolina is a less than desirable location for free agents. RFA would be fine since the Canes would have leverage. Friedman pointed to this many times in his 30 thoughts, otherwise a trade would've went down.

Galchenyuk for Hanafin is probably what they should be aiming for.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Sekera was a top pair dman that would've broke 50 pts over a full season. That's pretty much star player production from a defender.

It's just too much of a risk to take on Duchene when he is a UFA in 2 years and Carolina is a less than desirable location for free agents. RFA would be fine since the Canes would have leverage. Friedman pointed to this many times in his 30 thoughts, otherwise a trade would've went down.

Hanafin may not get MacKinnon, but he gets more than Galchenyuk.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Barrie has scored 50+ points as a defenseman, and played in our top pair that season. I still don't consider him to be a star player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad