Proposal: MacKinnon for Hanifin +

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
MacKinnon seems to be in a bit of a rut in Colorado, Carolina has Hanifin on the table. Duchene's contract length seems to be a problem in making a deal work with him, but can a deal be made between these teams?

:avs
Noah Hanifin
Teuvo Teravainen

:canes
Nathan MacKinnon
Francois Beauchemin

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Not a bad basis for a trade IMO.

However, while Carolina might be willing to move TT, I don't think they need/want Beauchemin.

I might just simplify and say McKinnon = Hanifin + 2017 1st.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I'd do this. I think Hanifin + Teuvo for MacKinnon is pretty fair and I think Beauchemin could fill the Hainsey role for us which would allow us to ease Fleury into the lineup.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
*Cough Cough*

Sakic acknowledged there is talk out there about the Avalanche considering trading Matt Duchene or Gabe Landeskog, and he didn’t quiet that any several weeks ago when in a previous conversation with The Denver Post, he cited Nathan MacKinnon, Mikko Rantanen and 2016 No. 1 draft choice Tyson Jost (who went four choices ahead of McAvoy) as the untouchables — and stopped there.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/15/joe-sakic-avalanche-trade-deadline/

MacKinnon isn't going anywhere, boys.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
MacKinnon is not being moved...he's the Avs best hope for a #1 centre.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
MacKinnon seems to be in a bit of a rut in Colorado, Carolina has Hanifin on the table. Duchene's contract length seems to be a problem in making a deal work with him, but can a deal be made between these teams?

Noah Hanifin
Teuvo Teravainen

Nathan MacKinnon
Francois Beauchemin

MacKinnon can be dominant (WCH) and disappear for multiple games. I can't see the Avs trading their future franchise player on a reasonable, long term and possibly a steal of a contract. Canes will need to add more if this was to happen:

Mackinnon

for

Hanifin
Gauthier/Fleury
2018 or 2019 - 1st round (lottery protected)

Another possibility is the Avs trading the 2017 - 1st round pick Patrick/Hischier in a weaker draft year for Hanifin.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
As a Haligonian and Mooseheads fan I know how good MacKinnon is. And I think he'll blow up in the right scenario. I'm just not sure if Colorado will ever be the right scenario without a top-to-bottom overhaul of that franchise.

I 100% get Avs fans not wanting to trade him, I probably wouldn't either.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
MacKinnon can be dominant (WCH) and disappear for multiple games. I can't see the Avs trading their future franchise player on a reasonable, long term and possibly a steal of a contract. Canes will need to add more if this was to happen:

Mackinnon

for

Hanifin
Gauthier/Fleury

Another possibility is the Avs trading the 2017 - 1st round pick Patrick/Hischier in a weaker draft year for Hanifin.

Hanifin, Gauthier and a lottery protected 1st? I'd probably do this as well.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008

Noah Hanifin
Teuvo Teravainen

Nathan MacKinnon
Francois Beauchemin

Noah Hanifin
Teuvo Teravainen

Matt Duchene
Francois Beauchemin

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
^

For reasons that have already been mentioned in the OP as well as countless other times on this board: LOL, no

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Noah Hanifin
Teuvo Teravainen

Nathan MacKinnon
Francois Beauchemin

Don't see Hanifin on the table now, but no prob to accept that as a premise for discussion purposes only

I don't believe that Colorado has any interest in trading MacKinnon.

Avs are not trading Mackinnon unless there is significant value.

There is some thought that neither Hani nor Mack gets moved unless it is a single desired talent of comparable or significantly high level. Dollar for a dollar only. Not a dollar for 4 shiny quarters.

That is fair enough.

However, if it is a buck 20 minimum and above, and the club can use the additional pieces (such as Avs), then I see if there is enough profit on the table, not doing a deal is, as is said old school, cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Canes are so deep at D and have other options they can upgrade F [perhaps not MacK, but still] and do so w/out moving Hanifin

Avs have hope for recovery sooner than later, but they may have to swap out top pieces to get that accelerated result

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't personally like MacKinnon and tbh at his peak, Duchene was a better player than MacKinnon might ever be but at this point, I just wanna get rid of Duchene & Landeskog.

I feel like in terms of rebuilding, the return for Duchene & Landeskog along with drafting a dman high in 2018 and other prospects stepping in, should hopefully be enough to solve the organizational depth issues and the problems with defence without having to trade MacKinnon. I would also favour getting rid of Tyson Barrie and I'm guessing it'll have to happen sooner rather than later but we'll see.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm betting there is a 99.999% chance the Avs do not move MacKinnon.

Replace Mac with Duchene and I think both teams say yes.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Haydn Fleury
Teuvo Teravainen

Matt Duchene

I do not mean to insult Fleury since he seems like a great prospect so far, but this is turning into every other Canes dman thread. You want offensive talent but want to give us your 5th best defense player/prospect.

Pretend like you want a center from the Avs and aim at MacKinnon and Avs fans offer Soderberg instead every time.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Mackinnon

for

Hanifin
Gauthier/Fleury

That's not even remotely a possibility that the Canes would entertain. IF they move Hanifin it's going to be for an established young player that the team would maintain significant contractual control over... which also means Hanifin for Duchene isn't really a possibility either, at least not this offseason since an extension can't be agreed and in place.

I'm betting there is a 99.999% chance the Avs do not move MacKinnon.

Replace Mac with Duchene and I think both teams say yes.

They do not. Canes aren't giving up Hanifin alone for Duchene and Beauchemin yet alone having Teravainen added in for no reason at that point.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
You want offensive talent but want to give us your 5th best defense player/prospect.

He also offered you Teravainen, a pretty good offensive player who had more points than Duchesne did last year and comes a lot cheaper, and still has a ton of upside.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I do not mean to insult Fleury since he seems like a great prospect so far, but this is turning into every other Canes dman thread. You want offensive talent but want to give us your 5th best defense player/prospect.

Pretend like you want a center from the Avs and aim at MacKinnon and Avs fans offer Soderberg instead every time.

It's more like if the Avs kept asking for assets with MacKinnon value and only offering Duchene, then acting astonished when they get Duchene value offers in return or people ask for MacKinnon instead.

Duchene doesn't have the value to return Hanifin. Going off the Avs request for multiple pieces headed by a top-4 potential LHD, I doubt anybody is going to top Haydn Fleury, the Canes 1st+.

I mean, it's what you asked for...if you don't like the offers you get, ask for something else?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It's more like if the Avs kept asking for assets with MacKinnon value and only offering Duchene, then acting astonished when they get Duchene value offers in return or people ask for MacKinnon instead.

Duchene doesn't have the value to return Hanifin. Going off the Avs request for multiple pieces headed by a top-4 potential LHD, I doubt anybody is going to top Haydn Fleury, the Canes 1st+.

I mean, it's what you asked for...if you don't like the offers you get, ask for something else?

I haven't heard the Avs asking anyone for a Fleury level prospect as a centrepiece for Duchene. Link to source, please? From all of the fairly established rumors they were trying for a top defensive prospect (Chabot) and after that failed were asking from the Isles for more established, youngish pieces like De Haan or Hamonic. Fleury is pretty much the worst middle ground between those two: an unestablished prospect who doesn't have top potential and can't help stabilize the defense core in the present. The Avs will have a 22 year old Zadorov and likely a 22 year old Bigras on the club next year, and 22 year old Anton Lindholm is probably getting a very real shot to make the team too after he said he won't go back to the AHL next year and looked decent to finish the season. The Avs need to either strike for top talent or go for someone young but established enough to play top four minutes starting next season; to shelter the younger pieces and to help the club immediately. I would be more interested in CDH, the Isles 1st, + something else than Fleury, the Canes 1st, + something else - and I imagine that's Sakic's line of thinking too, and I imagine the Isles will be very interested. If the Avs have to settle for a decent / good but not potentially elite sort of top four defensman as the centrepiece for Duchene, that defender better be young but established; not young and a couple years away from maybe being established. If all of Carolina's top four is off the table for Duchene, I don't think they are in the bidding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad