MacKinnon and Rantanen or Matthews and Marner?

Which duo?

• Total voters

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Of course this thread has been revived. Congrats on a great season by the leafs guys. I'm not changing my vote until they do it in the playoffs.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I think it’s meant to be line mates.

Not sure where the cutoff is though

If it's best LINE.....then yes, for sure the Leaf's line. But Boston's top line still has a lot to say about it. Leafs win because they're so much younger and will be great for many more years still.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Can't lose with either but for now I will give the nod to Colorado based on playoff performance to date, though this may well change.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Since January 1st

Marner - 34 games played - 22 goals - 58 points (#2)
Matthews - 35 games played - 30 goals - 54 points (#7)

And they have fewer games played than anyone else in the top 10. But forget stats, just the eye test. These guys absolutely dominate every single game, they've been monsters this year especially since approx. January. I supposed Gaudreau/Tkachuk have similar production, but I take these 2 over any other 2 line mates. And they dominate both ends of the ice, Marner is especially good on the PK.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I'll admit I haven't caught any Leafs games (out on the west coast), but unless the Leaf duo's clutch gene (based on how they couldn't step up last postseason when it counted) is actually improved, I would personally choose the Avs duo. Matthews was scoring at a high rate last season too, and Marner's been an elite all-around winger, but I think I'd personally have the Avs duo by a hair.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The Rantanen-Marner gap is getting big. Last year I would not have dared said Matthews is as good as Nate but here we are.

I can see why people would look to playoff stats in the past, it does however ignore one pair is getting better and the other is static. This implies past playoff samples may not be a reliable indicator.

Not worth arguing about. I'd like to see them in the final so we can hash this out properly.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Fantasy purposes, taking Leafs duo. I think Mackinnon and Matthews are pretty equal; Rantanen has some games where he looks outright bad throughout the season. Marner can have bad spurts production wise but he never looks like a bum out there.

But if I'm taking either in a team building scenario it's Mack and Rantanen purely because there's evidence of excellent playoff production (especially Mack).

I find the Avs' playoff struggles are usually due to the depth not coming through on the rare occasion where the top players are having an off night, whereas the Leafs' struggles seem more correlated to Matthews and Marner having too many poor efforts.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Too close to call. Marner has been on an insane tear since he came back in January (something like 55 points in 31 games) and Matthews is the best player defensively 5v5 of the 4. I think the Avs duo are better built for the playoffs and the Mack contract is huge. In a vacuum you cannot go wrong with either.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Fantasy purposes, taking Leafs duo. I think Mackinnon and Matthews are pretty equal; Rantanen has some games where he looks outright bad throughout the season. Marner can have bad spurts production wise but he never looks like a bum out there.

But if I'm taking either in a team building scenario it's Mack and Rantanen purely because there's evidence of excellent playoff production (especially Mack).

I find the Avs' playoff struggles are usually due to the depth not coming through on the rare occasion where the top players are having an off night, whereas the Leafs' struggles seem more correlated to Matthews and Marner having too many poor efforts.
Sometimes I wonder if Matthews would be the same without Marner and if Marner would be the same without Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad