Confirmed with Link: MacDermid traded to NJ for a 7th and a prospect

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We can blame dermy for a lot of things, like being bad at hockey, but I don’t think his lack of fighting recently lands on him. I’m positive Bednar told him to stick to playing the game unless told otherwise.

Good luck to him in jersey, glad to know he’s not suiting up in an Avs uniform anymore but I hope he gets a good look in jersey and sticks.
Super weird, too, because Bednar is no dummy. He knows all the guy can do is fight, yet he seemed to stop him from fighting most nights.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Super weird, too, because Bednar is no dummy. He knows all the guy can do is fight, yet he seemed to stop him from fighting most nights.
For sure, and I’d love to know the reasoning coaches make some of the decisions they make. Must be personal decisions sometimes like “he is one of the hardest workers in practice so I’ll reward him” kind of thing?

Not that I’m criticizing Bernard decision here, I absolutely love him as a coach.

Edit: I see this site is hitting its stride on automatic refreshing and wiping text mid response just in time for the deadline….

Reactions: Alienblood

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
This is also a product of Bednar. We saw what happened to Chris Wagner last game when he went looking for a fight. Bednar played a role in neutering MacDermid, because in LA he was more than happy to start anything at any time.

This is a man who has been described by teammates as a lover of all things violence. If Ruff okays it, MacDermid will fight every game.
I don’t think Wagner started he just obliged ?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
We can blame dermy for a lot of things, like being bad at hockey, but I don’t think his lack of fighting recently lands on him. I’m positive Bednar told him to stick to playing the game unless told otherwise.
I don't agree with this. He is known as one of the toughest guys to fight in the league. Outside of a select few players, who is/was going to go with him? We saw instances where Ryan Reaves even refused to fight him when confronted. I don't think it's about not being allowed to fight, I don't think anyone wants to fight him. Maybe that changes in NJ, as guys like Rempe, Deslauriers, Reaves, etc. are all in the east, but even then, those are usually those dumb preorchestrated fights between a select few guys.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I don't agree with this. He is known as one of the toughest guys to fight in the league. Outside of a select few players, who is/was going to go with him? We saw instances where Ryan Reaves even refused to fight him when confronted. I don't think it's about not being allowed to fight, I don't think anyone wants to fight him. Maybe that changes in NJ, as guys like Rempe, Deslauriers, Reaves, etc. are all in the east, but even then, those are usually those dumb preorchestrated fights between a select few guys.
That’s fine if you don’t agree but that’s how I view it. I don’t agree that other fighters turn down fights because our guy is “tougher”. Maybe (very) occasionally but tough guys are generally in the league by a thread. They will do whatever it takes to stay in the lineup, including fighting a guy like Mcdermid.

How many instances of Mcdermid challenging and getting turned down did we see? None that I recall. That isn’t a sign of a player nobody wants to fight, rather of a player not looking to fight.

Reactions: McMetal

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Dermy didn't even fight or make big hits when he was supposed to be the Avs enforcer. Addition by subtraction

It takes two to tangle. How many guys aside from Reaves would actually drop the gloves with Kurtis?

The instigator rule has basically eliminated fighting. Teams don't want to take that extra two minutes and potentially lose a game because a guy sticks up for his team-mates

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
The guy is gone and yet some still bash him instead of thanking him for being a stand-up team mate.

Some Avs fans are sickening.
He was terrible. Easily the worst player on the ice for both teams every night for his 5 minutes JB would play him. He was brought in for a reason and didn't play his role

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
And Bednar hates that. He has spoken before about needless fights. He hates them. No reason to give any potential momentum away.
Thats was indeed a dumb fight by Wagner at that moment. Just bench him and send him down dumb.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Also, a Trouba deterrent. We all remember the game where MacDermid was hunting Trouba up and down the ice, and Trouba was skating scared and Rangers ended up giving up a 2-on-1 which the Avs scored on.

Maybe he has at least a temporary effect of allowing the other Devils players to "play bigger," which might be the difference between them making or missing the playoffs at an extremely cheap acquisition cost.
That's impossible, tough guys like MacDermid and Rempe have no effect whatsover on other players and don't influence in any way, shape or form the way others play when they are in the line-up...

Reactions: Alienblood

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
We dont utilize mcdermaid well. If he was made to hunt and get into a fight regardless of consequences (i.e PK), he'd had an impact. Of course we would have to have a good PK for this with a solid goalie, not the case this year.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
He was terrible. Easily the worst player on the ice for both teams every night for his 5 minutes JB would play him. He was brought in for a reason and didn't play his role
I don't think you understand the role. It is not to fight right and left for the pleasure of the audience. It is to intimidate and deter. Some eventually reach those objectives with limited fighting. George Laraques is a notorious example.

The problem for these guys is that fans don't care about intimidation and deterrent, they want to see fights and blood.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I don't think you understand the role. It is not to fight right and left for the pleasure of the audience. It is to intimidate and deter. Some eventually reach those objectives with limited fighting. George Laraques is a notorious example.

The problem for these guys is that fans don't care about intimidation and deterrent, they want to see fights and blood.
Or maybe we want players who can contribute to the score sheet and not be total liabilities when they are on the ice or totally useless sitting on the bench 99% of the time

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada

He didn't deter anything though. The Avs stars still had their fair share of bad hits and cheap shots even when dermy was on the ice and he didn't do shit

Reactions: The Moops

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I respect MacDermid. What he's doing is not an easy way to go about making a living. Unfortunately, he just couldn't do the hockey thing well enough to earn an everyday job here unless we had injury issues. I wish him the best of luck, but the role of enforcer is pretty much dead.

Who knows though, with two new teams right around the corner, the overall talent level will dip and maybe we'll see some more fighters sprinkled amongst the 4th lines.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
And Bednar hates that. He has spoken before about needless fights. He hates them. No reason to give any potential momentum away.
You said Wagner started the fight. I told you he didn’t … everything else your talking about has nothing to do with what I said

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
He didn't deter anything though. The Avs stars still had their fair share of bad hits and cheap shots even when dermy was on the ice and he didn't do shit
I mean if we are going to play the game of trying to prove something doesn't exist, we could easily counter with just because he didn't deter all it doesn't mean he didn't deter any. For all we know his presence did result in less guys taking runs. There's no statistics either way. So why is everyone so matter of fact that he did nothing?

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad