Confirmed with Link: MacDermid traded to NJ for a 7th and a prospect

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Didn’t we get him to be the 2C this year?
No, I think you're confusing him with Zadorov.

Y'all won't believe this, but apparently Nikita lied about his age and when the Avs found out, Sakic felt that he was too old to begin training in the ways of the f...I mean as a center and decided to trade him away.

Too bad really, I was actually Saad to see him go.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No, I think you're confusing him with Zadorov.

Y'all won't believe this, but apparently Nikita lied about his age and when the Avs found out, Sakic felt that he was too old to begin training in the ways of the f...I mean as a center and decided to trade him away.

Too bad really, I was actually Saad to see him go.
IMG_2588.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Same reason why the Avs got him, to stop the media narrative about being soft.

MacDermid hasn’t even had a fight since October. If they are expecting fireworks he might not even be ready for it and certainly won’t start it.
Wagner's fight yesterday made MacDermid expandable. MacDermid is honestly too tough for this league, nobody wants to fight him. If Avs wants to get tougher, Brendan Lemieux are the players you go after nowadays (though that Olivier bloke in CBJ could be the best fighter in the league).

• Haha
Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
If this is the case, good luck to Rempe. I've watched all his fights in the NHL so far, the dude is tough and has big dangly balls, but he hasn't yet figured out how to stop his own face from being pummeled. The fight with Olivier is a testament to that, his face got wailed on.
Also, a Trouba deterrent. We all remember the game where MacDermid was hunting Trouba up and down the ice, and Trouba was skating scared and Rangers ended up giving up a 2-on-1 which the Avs scored on.

Maybe he has at least a temporary effect of allowing the other Devils players to "play bigger," which might be the difference between them making or missing the playoffs at an extremely cheap acquisition cost.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
This is also a product of Bednar. We saw what happened to Chris Wagner last game when he went looking for a fight. Bednar played a role in neutering MacDermid, because in LA he was more than happy to start anything at any time.

This is a man who has been described by teammates as a lover of all things violence. If Ruff okays it, MacDermid will fight every game.
Lucic changed things too. How many fights has he had since ?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I appreciated Dermy more than most. The guys in that room wanted him there plain and simple. They play with a different level of fearlessness when he’s on their bench despite how much most of the Internet tries to argue otherwise.

In saying that. He sucks at hockey. Like he’s really bad at the NHL level. He was never going to play a single shift of playoff hockey and he’s drastically overpaid even if the contract is under a mil. It makes total sense to clear that space. The fact that they got some assets at the same time is just pure Mary Browns gravy.

Dermy, thanks for what you did on the ice, on the bench, in the weight room and in that dressing room. But more importantly, the way you protected the Stanley Cup at that club is the best of all. You were willing to absorb everything in your path with your enormous back half to protect the mug. You’re the man.

P.S. I’d like to send and even bigger thank you to Matt Rempe.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
MacDermid was one of the weirder Avalanche acquisitions in recent memory.

When they added him, it felt like a Ryan Reaves deterrent. Colorado had taken a lot of abuse in the 2021 post-season against Vegas, specifically with Reaves getting suspended for ripping out some of Ryan Graves' hair. Problem is Vegas traded Reaves to the Eastern Conference literally two days after the Avalanche traded for MacDermid.

That's not to say MacDermid didn't work at all as a deterrent. There's a clip out there somewhere of an opposing player lining up Makar, only to think twice and side step the hit (presumably) due MacDermid in the vicinity. That anecdotal evidence aside, the fact is no NHL player with 30+ games played averaged less ice time than MacDermid (7:12) the last three years. It felt like Colorado was going with 17 skaters most times when he was in the line-up. Last post-season, with injuries galore heading into Game 7, Bednar opted to dress Brad Hunt as a forward - and give him exactly (1) 0:41 second shift - rather than rolling the dice with MacDermid.

Good luck to him in New Jersey. Seems like history is repeating itself, as he was clearly added to go toe-to-toe with Matt Rempe.

Kolesar also. Kolesar is still on their roster.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Lucic changed things too. How many fights has he had since ?

You could say the same thing before that. In November, the Avs were so injured that they couldnt afford to lose him for fighting. The Avs needed bodies to field a team. It seems that might have re-wired him and made him less engaged with fighting.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Sounds like a lesser version of Matt Cooke

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Sounds like a lesser version of Matt Cooke
They don't get lesser than Matt Cooke.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Nobody needs goons and enforcers during the playoffs. They're barely useful during the regular season anymore. Big bodies who can play? Sure. Always. But KM's ability as a player is . . . borderline at best. If he wasn't that big, he'd be selling insurance in Saskatoon.

I'm sure Demy is a good dude. Everybody loves Dermy. But we right now need cap space more than KM's somewhat questionable abilities as an enforcer.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Nobody needs goons and enforcers during the playoffs. They're barely useful during the regular season anymore. Big bodies who can play? Sure. Always. But KM's ability as a player is . . . borderline at best. If he wasn't that big, he'd be selling insurance in Saskatoon.

I'm sure Demy is a good dude. Everybody loves Dermy. But we right now need cap space more than KM's somewhat questionable abilities as an enforcer.
That's just it,.in most of his fights especially against Deslauriers.I am.just.waitiing for for him.to get knocked out and finally Lucic. I.think.he is mostly.done.anyways

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
We can blame dermy for a lot of things, like being bad at hockey, but I don’t think his lack of fighting recently lands on him. I’m positive Bednar told him to stick to playing the game unless told otherwise.

Good luck to him in jersey, glad to know he’s not suiting up in an Avs uniform anymore but I hope he gets a good look in jersey and sticks.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad