News Article: Maatta re-signed, 6 years, $4.083M/yr

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Was hoping for 3.7 or so since he seems to have regressed since breaking in to the league. But please prove me wrong Olli :)

The more I look at it I think it could've been lower given it's such a long contract. Not really complaining, but I do think it's a shade high for six years. Then again we can move him with nigh impugnity so that plays into it too I'm sure.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Was hoping for 3.7 or so since he seems to have regressed since breaking in to the league. But please prove me wrong Olli :)

I don't think regression is a fair word considering what caused him to miss essentially an entire year, but yeah he'd be getting a bigger deal had he not missed a beat for sure.

I still think he's worth $4 million/year today, even with his inconsistencies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't think Dumo's deal would be much different. Maybe 6yr, $21M deal or something. Slightly less yearly.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Well done JR. Good to have Maatta locked up long term at a decent cap hit. Now for your next trick..........

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The more I look at it I think it could've been lower given it's such a long contract. Not really complaining, but I do think it's a shade high for six years. Then again we can move him with nigh impugnity so that plays into it too I'm sure.

It was higher AAV precisely because the Pens signed him to a longer deal. If I'm not mistaken they bought out 2 of his UFA years.

That explains your higher price.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
It was higher AAV precisely because the Pens signed him to a longer deal. If I'm not mistaken they bought out 2 of his UFA years.

That explains your higher price.

Also keeps him locked up until Sid is 34 and Geno is 35, there's your window.

Dumo @ 3m x 5 would be great this summer (we already have him next year at 800k, what a steal).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There is little risk with signing Dumo to a long term contract if he'd take it. He's rock solid defensively and in transition. Doesn't have the point totals to demand more than 4MM per year. If I were him, though, I'd take a bridge deal next and develop my offensive game hoping to cash in on the next one.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Means we'll have $4m in space as it stands next year.

And we need to sign 6 (I'm counting Sprong and Murray to the roster) players with that cap space. It's doable given there's no one getting big contract left but it will also be tight situation. Lets hope the cap stays atleast flat.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Did they sign him to this contract just to trade him?

Like have they looked at trading Maatta and the team they are wanting to trade him to wanted him signed to a longer term?

:laugh:

no, i seriously doubt it.

I expect we'll see a Dumo extension over the summer and that's your core for the next 6 years

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Good point from my wife- there was probably some paper, a pen, a notary, the whole shebang.

she's spot on. Although I have to wonder why, in 2016, we need those things. Can't we just settle things in a more civilized manner, like Klingons, and cut his hand open, shed some blood, and call it a deal?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
:laugh:

no, i seriously doubt it.

I expect we'll see a Dumo extension over the summer and that's your core for the next 6 years

It's a serious blessing that Dumo has developed like he has because if he hadn't that Despres trade may have been crippling. As it is we're looking at Letang, Maatta, and Dumo as a pretty rock solid d core moving forward. Hopefully Pouliot will be added to that mix as well though the jury is still out on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad