News Article: Maatta re-signed, 6 years, $4.083M/yr

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That makes it even better.

I was getting accustomed to the last GM's way of doing business -- full NTC/NMCs for everyone right off the bat. So you're telling me you can get a player to sign a team friendly contract without having to hand them those clauses? Fascinating.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I think that's actually pretty clever. Probably got Maatta to agree to some term with that, but it also means that you have 4 years where you can move Maatta consequence free if he collapses into the Scuderi Zone.*

*The Scuderi Zone is akin to the Simpson Cone of Ignorance, see figure 1A

Fig. 1A

Cone-og-ignorance.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A teeny biiiitttt too much but the kid could turn out to be a beast and worth way more within those 6 yrs.
Good gamble.

And a moveable contract IF it comes to that.

Brodin: $4.167 million per
Josi: $4 million per
Fowler: $4 million per
Despres: $3.7 million per
Faulk: $4.833 million per
Klingberg: $4.25 million per
Klefbom: $4.167 million per

He's not overpaid.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
A little high for the first one or two years, but if he continues to develop, it will be a steal by year 3 at the latest.

Great deal for the Pens. Having your top pair locked up for 6 years isn't a bad thing at all, far from it. Hopefully we can end up signing Dumo and Pouliot to long and reasonable deals as well.

AdamIsAngel

Feb 16, 2016
Definitely good to have Maatta locked up, 6 yrs is a little too long for me but whatever.
Whenever your lucky to draft quality defensemen, its important to build around guys like that especially if we start to re-tool lineup next season.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
that's certainly a contract the Penguins signed Olli Maatta to

Did they sign him to this contract just to trade him?

Like have they looked at trading Maatta and the team they are wanting to trade him to wanted him signed to a longer term?

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That's a NTC that actually makes sense...it doesn't kick in until the UFA buy-out seasons and it's about as small of a NTC you can possibly have.

Great deal given that Russell is looking for 5+m in today's market. just to give you an idea.

Impossible to compare RFA deals to UFA...though this does underline how important it is to bring up your own talent, rather than constantly try to re-stock via free agency.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
A little high for the first one or two years, but if he continues to develop, it will be a steal by year 3 at the latest.

Great deal for the Pens. Having your top pair locked up for 6 years isn't a bad thing at all, far from it. Hopefully we can end up signing Dumo and Pouliot to long and reasonable deals as well.

What would people give Dumo I wonder? He's steady and we need him, I just can't see giving him more than $3 mil a year.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Good deal with the potential to be a great deal. I think at worst, Maatta will be a middle pairing defenseman. $4M for that isn’t too much, so if he can improve his skating and become a top pairing defenseman, it becomes a great deal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I like getting him locked up. Not a prohibitive contract. A tad higher than I would have liked being it's for 6 years. Would rather have seen something around 3.25-3.5 but I won't be complaining. We need our good young dmen, bottom line.

Congrats Olli.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Was hoping for 3.7 or so since he seems to have regressed since breaking in to the league. But please prove me wrong Olli :)

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
What would people give Dumo I wonder? He's steady and we need him, I just can't see giving him more than $3 mil a year.

I think good comparables to Dumo would be Despres and Ekholm. Both young mid-pairing D-men who recently signed their 3rd NHL-contracts. So around $3.5 million.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Dumoulin will never put up the points to get a massive contract as a RFA. He's producing a fair bit less than Despres was last season (.31 PPG vs .20 PPG). I can't imagine he'd get much more than $3 million per, even on a long term deal.

I think good comparables to Dumo would be Despres and Ekholm. Both young mid-pairing D-men who recently signed their 3rd NHL-contracts. So around $3.5 million.

Both Ekholm and Despres have produced a fair bit more than Dumoulin. I think the ceiling for Dumoulin would be around $3.25 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad