News Article: Maatta re-signed, 6 years, $4.083M/yr

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Honestly, Maatta's offseason should start with a couple weeks off the ice completely, so the army training might time out well. After that he needs a entire team of skating instructors and strength/conditioning coaches working with him 24/7 to help him train properly for next season.

Can we strap him to Letang? I wonder how Maatta would do with the high hurdles.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
so what, he needs a combined 6 months before he's 28 or something? Is that right?

It's 6 months to 12 months in one stretch before you turn 28. Most of us do it when we are 18-20.

It's mandatory but they still don't want to interfere with people's such as NHL players livelihoods so they don't have to participate more than just a few mandatory trainings. So Olli will be in the armys books for the 6 months but he'll be here for just a few weeks.

Mikko Koivu had like a few photoshoots and that was it :laugh:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Simo_hayha_second_lieutenant_1940.png

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hayha.html

the one finnish top athletes go to.

some years back no hockey player was there for more than 50 days of the supposed 180. that includes players who weren't good enough to play at finnish hockey league. it's a little tighter now (or so i've been told) but määttä won't spend much time there.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Arguably the greatest sniper in history was in the Finnish army. He has the most confirmed kills of any sniper by a mile. Also, he didn't use optics, just "open" iron sights.
Actually his kills aren't confirmed kills. It would have been basically impossible to confirm in those conditions.

Ah yes, the White Death. Like 500-some kills in 3 month.

But in all fairness, the Russians were charging the Finns without snow camo in straight lines through open fields. I probably could have hit double digits myself and I suck.
Don't want to derail too much, but the Soviets didn't just charge through open fields. It was winter and they had no skis, so they could only move by using roads. Häyhä was also a sniper so those 500 kills he is credited with were mostly people he ambushed alone. You have to also keep in mind that he had only 6 hours of daylight to work with, which he used mostly just waiting in his fighting hole. It was also the second coldest winter we have recorded, so the conditions were no joke.

Back to Määttä. I just read that he is going to join the Navy, so he will be doing 12 months. I can't understand why he would want to do that, either he has to be super patriotic or it's some sort of family reason, because otherwise it just doesn't make sense. He's probably going to do it in two splits during the next two offseasons.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Back to Määttä. I just read that he is going to join the Navy, so he will be doing 12 months. I can't understand why he would want to do that, either he has to be super patriotic or it's some sort of family reason, because otherwise it just doesn't make sense. He's probably going to do it in two splits during the next two offseasons.

Where did you read this?

Finnish Army website has him in the sports academy at Kaarti.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad