Maata face slash on Lindblom

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Oh I can easily see this as a no call: the puck is heading in that direction as soon as the player goes down. The refs are assuming it's the puck that hit him. Plus lots of bodies

This happens more than you think in most leagues

Maybe in a kids pickup game where the ref is a volunteer....but the fact NHL officials missed that? Inexcusable....

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Oh my God! The refs missed a call in a game!!!!

Alert the press! Get ESPN to do an Outside the Lines special on it! Get Mueller to investigate!

I'm no Pens fan, but this is a pretty obvious thing ton "miss"....

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Maybe in a kids pickup game where the ref is a volunteer....but the fact NHL officials missed that? Inexcusable....

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but how much hockey do you watch?

High sticks are missed all the time in the NHL. We have a local ECHL team and guys get crosschecked in the head (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not) in front of the net and there's a crapton of action in front of the net, partly because the ref is attempting to watch the puck.

There's a local Jr team here too...same thing. Loads and loads of missed calls

I ref in a rec league, 2 man system...when there's stuff going on in front of the net there are bodies everywhere and guys screening your view. It's an easy missed call

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I'm no Pens fan, but this is a pretty obvious thing ton "miss"....
This miss obvious things all the time though!

Pens fans agree that it was a missed call and should have been 4 mins but this just smells of disgruntled fans of the Flyers and others to blow this up into something bigger than it is and to subtly insinuate the refs favoring the Pens.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but how much hockey do you watch?

High sticks are missed all the time in the NHL. We have a local ECHL team and guys get crosschecked in the head (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not) in front of the net and there's a crapton of action in front of the net, partly because the ref is attempting to watch the puck.

There's a local Jr team here too...same thing. Loads and loads of missed calls

I ref in a rec league, 2 man system...when there's stuff going on in front of the net there are bodies everywhere and guys screening your view. It's an easy missed call
Answer A: I am old enough to tell you that i was in the Gardens with my Dad the last time the Leafs won the cup. My family has held seasons tickets for decades and i have had very close family members who have worked at MLSE as well as playing hockey at multiple levels.....so lets just say i have watched a lot of hockey through many different eras. Yes, hi sticks get missed, but the play in question happened in front of the net....and was beyond the scope of "easy to miss", and in the "crack down" era we are in....i find it amazing that professional officials could miss that. I'm not sure they would have let that go in the Gordie Howe era....or the Broadstreet Bullies era.

I am not screaming conspiracy here...let's face it, the Pens didn't exactly need the help, but it's still inexcusable to me that it was missed...in the playoffs no less. You can't compare rec league or the ECHL to NHL playoff hockey.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This miss obvious things all the time though!

Pens fans agree that it was a missed call and should have been 4 mins but this just smells of disgruntled fans of the Flyers and others to blow this up into something bigger than it is and to subtly insinuate the refs favoring the Pens.
I'm a fan of neither....it was purely accidental....no conspiracy or favoritism....but wow, how do you miss that?:laugh:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So, you're in your 60s and you're arguing on a sports messageboard on the internet? Man, now I feel really depressed about what's going to happen after I retire in 30 years.

This dumb earth.
My age is a defining thing on whether i am allowed to access the internet or discuss hockey?

The Earth really is dumb i guess....

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Uhhh, that high stick was HUGE.

Intentional or not, that needs discipline.

What? You really need to go through your own posting history and see what sort of anti-Pittsburgh/Crosby hate homer views you have. The refs blew it and missed the call, nothing more than that. Happens every game.

mize370

Nov 2, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
the refs have missed calls in all games played last night. for all 6 teams also in my opinion. so i am not surprised they missed this one also.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I mean, watching hockey for a long time and not understanding officiating and how it works after all that input is a negative characteristic for me. That's the back ref's call there, he's the one that's generally looking down that middle lane...he could have been blocked out, he may have lost track of the puck and thought that it struck Lindblom...it happens.

It's calls on the puck that I'm a little less tolerant of, quite honestly. Not that this shouldn't have been picked up, in an ideal world, it should have been, of course...but to sit there and have a pity party over it on the grounds that you've watched hockey through multiple eras and still don't get how this is missed suggests to me that you haven't envisioned the game through enough lenses over the years.

Also, in the Howe/BSB era that you mentioned...this, if caught, would have been a major. The league has become more tolerant of stick-to-face minor violations in direct correlation with helmet/face protection rules. Guys kept sticks down on a regular basis more before helmets...but that's another topic entirely...albeit, one that's more interesting than this non-topic...

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I mean, watching hockey for a long time and not understanding officiating and how it works after all that input is a negative characteristic for me. That's the back ref's call there, he's the one that's generally looking down that middle lane...he could have been blocked out, he may have lost track of the puck and thought that it struck Lindblom...it happens.

It's calls on the puck that I'm a little less tolerant of, quite honestly. Not that this shouldn't have been picked up, in an ideal world, it should have been, of course...but to sit there and have a pity party over it on the grounds that you've watched hockey through multiple eras and still don't get how this is missed suggests to me that you haven't envisioned the game through enough lenses over the years.

Also, in the Howe/BSB era that you mentioned...this, if caught, would have been a major. The league has become more tolerant of stick-to-face minor violations in direct correlation with helmet/face protection rules. Guys kept sticks down on a regular basis more before helmets...but that's another topic entirely...albeit, one that's more interesting than this non-topic...

Great post- agree with all of it

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
What? You really need to go through your own posting history and see what sort of anti-Pittsburgh/Crosby hate homer views you have. The refs blew it and missed the call, nothing more than that. Happens every game.

I bet he's not crying about the missed slew foot one of the flyers gave to Zach Ashton Reese, which the refs missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00