Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Best I've seen Burakovsky play. The guy was fast and even physical at times last night. Slowed down a bit as the game went on but still overall I was impressed with his play. Has to be self-confidence with him.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
another rookie coach another playoff disappointment, again the caps roster was used as a training experience. they insist in doing this over and over... thats 5 rookie coaches in the ovechkin era now. and the year they win the cup they instantly let the proven winner coach go... and exchange him with another mainiac, u cant make this up. capitals had another gear against carolina... the reverse gear perhaps. this is on the coach or on the people who allowed trotz to walk away. but nice hype job on reirden, he was the true mastermind behind the cuprun after all.

i am expecting a coaching change in the off season, the caps have no time to wait for reirdens adjustments. admit that u made a mistake and go with the next vet coach with a reasonable record.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Best I've seen Burakovsky play. The guy was fast and even physical at times last night. Slowed down a bit as the game went on but still overall I was impressed with his play. Has to be self-confidence with him.

Yep - good post. I actually wanted him moved up in the lineup, yes at the risk of breaking up 3. Instead, it was No Hands Hagelin. It was great he threw a big hit and a moment later was moving laterally and scoring a big goal for us.

All the guy does is score game 7 goals. We should try to trade him to Tampa heh. Their fans may still be scared of him from a season ago.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
another rookie coach another playoff disappointment, again the caps roster was used as a training experience. they insist in doing this over and over... thats 5 rookie coaches in the ovechkin era now. and the year they win the cup they instantly let the proven winner coach go... and exchange him with another mainiac, u cant make this up. capitals had another gear against carolina... the reverse gear perhaps. this is on the coach or on the people who allowed trotz to walk away. but nice hype job on reirden, he was the true mastermind behind the cuprun after all.

i am expecting a coaching change in the off season, the caps have no time to wait for reirdens adjustments. admit that u made a mistake and go with the next vet coach with a reasonable record.
It’s not going to happen. There’s no veteran coaches available that are that attractive. The only guy who I could see them firing Reirden for was Q and even then I don’t think they pay him $5+ million a year if they didn’t pay Barry

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So let’s be clear, you see no way Niskanen rebounds after a down year. At 32, he’s done as a top-4 NHL defender?

There's a chance he can rebound, but I don't think it would be wise to count on it happening. The problem with him doesn't seem mental where I can see players rebounding, it seems purely physical with Niskanen. His legs look gone and his numbers have been dropping off a cliff since he was injured last season.

He can still contribute on the PK and in more limited ES minutes so I'm not looking to offload him unless there's a good hockey trade but I do think they need to consider a different 2RD option at some point. His spot is probably the most needed upgrade in the top 4, assuming Kempny comes back to good health close to the beginning of the season which isn't a given of course.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Couple of quick thoughts. The last year was great. The relief of shedding the choker label allowed me to enjoy the team.

It was just a respite though. They have returned to the choker team they were and with next playoffs the anxiety and bad feelings will return.

I won't enjoy that. With that in mind I am going to give up being an active fan. I am not going back to the old ways. I have enjoyed sparring here and may miss that. Losing playoff series like this, I won't miss.

Good night and good luck.

I will respond to messages but this is my last post in the forum.

Take care
You're better than this.

Sep 19, 2008
To be honest as someone at the game yesterday I'd be a lot more pissed about it if Avengers Endgame wasn't coming out today

Hockey season is basically over for me until October

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Pens fan here in peace.

It is so, so, so, SO freaking hard to win a Stanley Cup. It takes so many things to come together at the exact right time in order to win 16 playoff games.

Case in point, the Penguins we're rolling along last year, beating the Flyers in 6, and the Caps in game 1. The reality they are now living in has them losing 8 of the last 9 playoff games.

It's so hard to find that "It" factor, and when you do, it's even harder to keep it.

Enjoy your title from last year and try again next. It all any NHL team can do.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Pens fan here in peace.

It is so, so, so, SO freaking hard to win a Stanley Cup. It takes so many things to come together at the exact right time in order to win 16 playoff games.

Case in point, the Penguins we're rolling along last year, beating the Flyers in 6, and the Caps in game 1. The reality they are now living in has them losing 8 of the last 9 playoff games.

It's so hard to find that "It" factor, and when you do, it's even harder to keep it.

Enjoy your title from last year and try again next. It all any NHL team can do.

tbh as I said in my post above, these teams have played a TON of grueling hockey over the years, the teams are a bit older in age and we are all extremely blessed as fans to have experienced these great players/teams. I wouldn't trade any playoff disappointments to be a dumpster fire for years and years.

yes, it takes a lot. It takes good health, good play from the whole roster, and some luck, etc. If you don't get those you aren't winning.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
A little surprised we didn't win, but not really
We only hit "playoff mode" what maybe 25% max of the series, where we were fighting for every puck, skating hard and playing with desperation
If Oshie didn't get the injury pretty sure we're in round 2, but that's the playoffs for better or worse
Handful of players looked great, handful struggled, waiting to see the injuries revealed

OVerall a pretty amazing 1st round thru the 7 other series, a real unique opp'ty with TB/PIT/CGY/WSH/VKG/NSH all gone
Guess I'm hoping for a STL-BOS final or COL-BOS final now

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There's a chance he can rebound, but I don't think it would be wise to count on it happening. The problem with him doesn't seem mental where I can see players rebounding, it seems purely physical with Niskanen. His legs look gone and his numbers have been dropping off a cliff since he was injured last season.

He can still contribute on the PK and in more limited ES minutes so I'm not looking to offload him unless there's a good hockey trade but I do think they need to consider a different 2RD option at some point. His spot is probably the most needed upgrade in the top 4, assuming Kempny comes back to good health close to the beginning of the season which isn't a given of course.

Noted.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Couple of quick thoughts. The last year was great. The relief of shedding the choker label allowed me to enjoy the team.

It was just a respite though. They have returned to the choker team they were and with next playoffs the anxiety and bad feelings will return.

I won't enjoy that. With that in mind I am going to give up being an active fan. I am not going back to the old ways. I have enjoyed sparring here and may miss that. Losing playoff series like this, I won't miss.

Good night and good luck.

I will respond to messages but this is my last post in the forum.

Take care

Uh huh....enjoy your break. Shocked the glow of the Cup has worn off some of you so fast.

I woke up this morning a little bummed, but the least upset I’ve ever been after a series loss. I’m pissed a few of these under performing f***ers wasted one of Ovy’s last seasons more than anything, but life goes on.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Caps were never up 3-1 in this is series. If they had been I might be slightly upset that they lost.

Also people are REALLY overrating Trotz, whom I love and who I will cheer on going forward. Korn was the guy to lament losing, all the proof is in the goalie stats being put up by Lehner and Greiss.
Trotz was a choker for a while in Washington, but the minute he decides to stop choking, he is let go which is bs. Non choking Trotz is a good coach as witnessed in NYI

illpucks

May 26, 2011
That’s basically it. PP was done as soon as we lost Oshie. Even if we won game 7 we weren’t going anywhere.
I don't agree. Oshie isn't that important. His spot could have been replaced with DSP (who has played top line minutes under Trotz in the past). The coach refused to allow DSP to play in OT. Reirden is really dumb coach

The idea that one player is so important that the team crumbles if they are gone is not a good one. Pens didn't have Letang and still won in '17. The Caps were missing Backstrom and still closed out the Pens. Oshie is not the issue, it's an issue with the coach not having confidence in the bottom players.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't agree. Oshie isn't that important. His spot could have been replaced with DSP (who has played top line minutes under Trotz in the past). The coach refused to allow DSP to play in OT. Reirden is really dumb coach

The idea that one player is so important that the team crumbles if they are gone is not a good one. Pens didn't have Letang and still won in '17. The Caps were missing Backstrom and still closed out the Pens. Oshie is not the issue, it's an issue with the coach not having confidence in the bottom players.

The idea that DSP could capably replace a skilled heart and soul player who raises his game in the postseason is not a good one.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I wonder what the reaction will be if Trotz loses in the second round to the Canes. Will he still be a genius or will he get the 'only been past the 2nd round once' treatment from posters that Ovechkin has now gotten a taste of over the past 12 hours?

I've personally never doubted Trotz's ability to get the absolute maximum out of an average roster. But some people are acting like the Capitals let Scotty Bowman walk... come on.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The idea that DSP could capably replace a heart and soul player who raises his game in the postseason is not a good one.

DSP played amazing in the first game that he was back. He almost had a goal and an assist, and landed many checks. Rather than let him build on that, the coach cut his minutes and he was a non-factor the next few games.

DSP was a top line player before on the Caps. He's not better than Oshie obviously but he surely has the ability to replace him for a few weeks if he is utilized right by the coach.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Almost is loser-speak. He had a short term physical impact and nothing else. The hockey part he hasn’t done well at since last playoffs.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I wonder what the reaction will be if Trotz loses in the second round to the Canes. Will he still be a genius or will he get the 'only been past the 2nd round once' treatment from posters that Ovechkin has now gotten a taste of over the past 12 hours?

I've personally never doubted Trotz's ability to get the absolute maximum out of an average roster. But some people are acting like the Capitals let Scotty Bowman walk... come on.
I don't get why they let him go when he just started having success. It took him 20 seasons to get past round 2, but when he finally does he is let go. It's completely asinine.

Sword

May 26, 2014
The compete level just wasn't there, some players played like they didn't want to be there. Where was Vrana? Was he playing injured? I really thought his speed would be useful during the playoffs, he was a complete no-show. Only Ovy, Bura, Orlov and Backstrom competed hard.

Holby and Carlson were terrible.

Credits to the Canes and their system, they were relentless on the forecheck and won all the puck battles. Bench management was bad, our top players were gassed out in the 3rd and OTs, we spent the majority of the game chasing the puck and trying to clear it, the 4th line should've been given time in OT, we needed some fresh legs.

I really don't have a problem with any of the remaining teams winning the cup now except the Bruins.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
DSP played amazing in the first game that he was back. He almost had a goal and an assist, and landed many checks. Rather than let him build on that, the coach cut his minutes and he was a non-factor the next few games.

DSP was a top line player before on the Caps. He's not better than Oshie obviously but he surely has the ability to replace him for a few weeks if he is utilized right by the coach.

DSP didn't even bother to come into training camp in shape. Their core leadership group of Ovechkin and Backstrom absolutely could have decided to take it easy in the summer but they came into the season in great shape ready to win another championship. Showing up ready to play is the least that a depth player with minimal history on the team could have done.

DSP should get a statue for his heroics but it's time to move on. He was poison every time he was in the top 6 and his lack of offseason commitment should ring alarm bells for any team looking to sign him. Oshie has his warts as a player but DSP isn't even in the same conversation as him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad