Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think they should go:

8-92-43
13-19-65
62-20-10
18-26-25

Slot Backstrom down a line to be the playmaker and defensive anchor for 13 and 65, both of whom have speed that could be useful in this series. I think Burakovsky has been their best bottom six forward and is a bit unlucky to not have been on the scoreboard yet. Let the bash brothers create some space for Kuznetsov. Reunite the Hagelin-Eller-Connolly line that dominated possession during their time together during the regular season. Play the 4th line as little as possible.

I think we also have to understand and acknowledge that the team is limping right now. Eller is playing hurt, Kuznetsov hasn't looked right since his concussion (and that bullshit chicken wing from Hamilton didn't help), Oshie and Kempny are out, Djoos never fully recovered from his leg injury. They've played a lot of hockey and they may just be worn down.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Personally, I dont care who does the game thread for Saturday, Id only ask that you keep it simple.
As for the game itself...the Caps will be without Kempny, Oshie, and Kuz-whos head is apparently in another zipcode after his latest "chicken wing" dinner. I dont blame Kuz for that.
So, when the Caps repeatedly dump the puck in Saturday night, and thats the only offensive strategy they have, other than waiting for Carolina to be short a stick, who from the Caps wins those battles behind the goal line? Who do we have that can fill Ohie's role in that regard ? No one player thats for certain(at least in my mind). So, I'm curious to see if the Caps are capable of responding...as a team ...Saturday night. I dont think they have any other choice now.
Tom Wilson will get his shot on PP1. I can’t wait to see it he could be the spark plug it needs

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I totally forgot about Jaskin. I would have inserted him over Boyd, and gotten a big body out there to try to control zone time and do some banging. Who gives a rats ass if he has no finish, our finishers aren't finishing because we can barely generate zone time.

No offense to Boyd, who is smaller and cut from the top 6 mold. I am old school, I want 4 to bring energy and hammer the D. The reason I don't like Boyd plugging away on 4 is he is about the only scoring depth forward we have. I don't want him at risk for injury in a useless role. Plus, I think he is best at center.

Did anyone know Kempny could be a 2nd pair? It's high time to see if Siggy may be as well. Yet another dual hands D gaffe cost us last night. Has anyone seen Orlov with Orpik, ever? We have groomed Siggy for 4 years, and he did great on the road with Rod Beakamor able to target him at will. Carlson should be able to look out for Siggy anyways, and do the same heavy lifting Orpik does for Djoos. As mentioned in the game day thread, the GWG gave flash backs to the 7D pairing of Alzner + Orpik parting of the LDs seas back breaker goal 2 years ago.

19R1G5 it is

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think they should go:

8-92-43
13-19-65
62-20-10
18-26-25

Slot Backstrom down a line to be the playmaker and defensive anchor for 13 and 65, both of whom have speed that could be useful in this series. I think Burakovsky has been their best bottom six forward and is a bit unlucky to not have been on the scoreboard yet. Let the bash brothers create some space for Kuznetsov. Reunite the Hagelin-Eller-Connolly line that dominated possession during their time together during the regular season. Play the 4th line as little as possible.

I think we also have to understand and acknowledge that the team is limping right now. Eller is playing hurt, Kuznetsov hasn't looked right since his concussion (and that bull**** chicken wing from Hamilton didn't help), Oshie and Kempny are out, Djoos never fully recovered from his leg injury. They've played a lot of hockey and they may just be worn down.
Kuzy Having another concussion would make alot of sense for his poor play . The Hamilton head shot could have been it

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The DSP is a minor leaguer lineup:

8-92-43
13-19-72/10
65-20-10/72
62-26-23

Don't panic. We lost by a goal on a D coverage gaffe. Move up the RWs. Slow and steady wins the race.

The bigger problem remains with managing the D, more than the D itself.
9-2
34-74
44-3

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
We are getting new lines no matter what with Oshie out.
This will be TR 1st big test as a playoff coach. I’ve seen slot of caps fans post different lines combos.

My new lines
Ovie kuzy Wilson
Vrana Backstrom Hags
Bura Eller Connolly

4th line don’t play and call up DSP ASAP

JayZIH

Nov 29, 2017
The caps seem tired .
The defensive plays on the heels.
Kempny's loss hurts.
Kuznetsov is clearly injured, he is slow, has no intensity in his game and seems to be afraid of receiving a check .
Hope Oshie is OK! Will DSP be recalled?

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Now 4 games in I’m really getting annoyed.

The league has de-nutted Wilson while allowing the hurricanes to cheap shot all over the ice w/o any punishment.

Putting aside the self inflicted damage the Caps have done, that’s a different conversation, what the canes have gotten away with since the series started has been mind blowing.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's almost like we conceded those 2 games, evidenced by not attempting to physically impose our will. That is code for we recharged the batteries by giving the minimal effort possible. But lost a 9V on Oshie, which sucks ass. It's hockey, which means expect 6-7 games no matter how much effort we expend. Why kill ourselves when even vegas expected us to lose.

I am still pissed at the league scheduling us on the road for 6 days. I almost wish Todd had the wherewithal to fly the boys back home immediately after game 3, in a big FU to the leagues marketing team. We were only a few hundred miles away.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You are saying Oshie is more important than Backstrom?

Yes, on this team he is. For everything he brings on the ice and everything he brings off of it, absolutely 100%.

Eller can, and has, stepped up and played a few games if needed for Backstrom, and does a great job at it. Who do the Caps use to replace all the things Oshie does? What player can they drop in the lineup who can PK, PP, hustle like a crazy man, and do it all looking like he is having the greatest time of his life?

There is a reason things like this happen and are said:

While Oshie was pondering the packing ahead, Capitals General Manager Brian MacLellan was conducting his end-of-season meetings. It was during those exit interviews that player after player campaigned for the team to retain Oshie.

"All-world skill, but he plays like a third- or a fourth-line player," goaltender Braden Holtby said.

"How many guys do as many things as he does on the ice?" MacLellan asked. "He's top of the league, I bet, in versatility."

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
It's almost like we conceded those 2 games, evidenced by not attempting to physically impose our will. That is code for we recharged the batteries by giving the minimal effort possible. But lost a 9V on Oshie, which sucks ass. It's hockey, which means expect 6-7 games no matter how much effort we expend. Why kill ourselves when even vegas expected us to lose.

I am still pissed at the league scheduling us on the road for 6 days. I almost wish Todd had the wherewithal to fly the boys back home immediately after game 3, in a big FU to the leagues marketing team. We were only a few hundred miles away.
On the Vegas note. Caps were the league favorite to win the cup like 3 days ago. I know it means nothing but we are a good team.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Wow. You sure changed your tune fast...

I say bring up Barber. Give him his shot with Backs and Vrana. Why not?

I did. :(

If you go to the games you really see everything that Oshie brings and I think beyond what he brings on the ice, his energy, on an older team, will be missed the most.

I also like the idea of Barber coming up, he plays a lot like Oshie.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
We can’t impose our will because Carolina has already proven to be physically on par.

The biggest problem - aside from Rierden not normalizing the pairings and starting the series off with jacked up lines - is we’re getting outskated.

They boys need to make crisp passes and skate. Once they do that they have a very good chance to out-finish the Canes based on the skill advantage.

IMO we’ve fallen into the same trap that TB fell into against us last year. Spending too much time and energy on the tough stuff when all we have to do is leverage our talent level and skate hard.

Mrazek has not been tested thoroughly enough. I’d bring up Barber and DSP, personally. I doubt they do both, but I’d be happy with either/or. They need an injection of youth and tenacity.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Or Andre Palat and Warren Foegle did it to them. :dunno:

And who thought this was a "cupcake" matchup? I didn't see much of that here.
I wanted CAR or NYI. Nothing is a cupcake matchup in the playoffs, but I thought this would be a good series for the Caps.

Still not sure I'm wrong yet. Caps in 6.

Reactions: BobRouse

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yes, on this team he is. For everything he brings on the ice and everything he brings off of it, absolutely 100%.

Eller can, and has, stepped up and played a few games if needed for Backstrom, and does a great job at it. Who do the Caps use to replace all the things Oshie does? What player can they drop in the lineup who can PK, PP, hustle like a crazy man, and do it all looking like he is having the greatest time of his life?

There is a reason things like this happen and are said:
Give your head a shake.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We can’t impose our will because Carolina has already proven to be physically on par.

The biggest problem - aside from Rierden not normalizing the pairings and starting the series off with jacked up lines - is we’re getting outskated.

They boys need to make crisp passes and skate. Once they do that they have a very good chance to out-finish the Canes based on the skill advantage.

IMO we’ve fallen into the same trap that TB fell into against us last year. Spending too much time and energy on the tough stuff when all we have to do is leverage our talent level and skate hard.

Mrazek has not been tested thoroughly enough. I’d bring up Barber and DSP, personally. I doubt they do both, but I’d be happy with either/or. They need an injection of youth and tenacity.
You think Barber and DSP are going to test Mrazek? I'd do with what we used in games one and two minus Oshie. I'd probably insert Jaskin.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Mrazek Can't have a save % better then Holtby much longer. Holtby not playing bad by any means either but he has the one of the lowest save % of playoff goalies.

Miss Mitch Korn much?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Sadly this isnt he cupcake match we hoped it would be .
I think we’re going to be reduced to 3 forward lines and 2 lines of defenses
Will be tough for the 1st round but we did it to ourselves
Our 4th line hasn't been getting a lot of ice time. As for our defensive pairings not sure what we should do. None have been great. Djoos and Jensen have been our worst. I think Orpik is playing decent for a senior citizen.
I know a lot of people are blaming him for the 2nd goal last night. I feel Orpik played that properly. It was Eller that chased the puck instead taking his man. Did no one notice that Eller came from the other side of the ice. Not sure why Orpik gets dumped on and Eller gets a free pass.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
My bad, I forgot your opinion is the only one that is valid in this forum.

I'm sorry sir, I am not worthy of responding to your posts and won't do it again, and again I am sorry and won't let it happen again.
Everyone's opinion counts except yours. And please keep your promise and dont respond to my post anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad