Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
DSP for sure doesn’t make the team faster, lol.

However, he can be a tenacious forechecker, and takes the body as much as anybody on the team not named Wilson or Ovechkin.

Could, and would I imagine, be a sacrificial lamb. Foegle needs a beating? DSP on deck...same for “Dougie”. He’s got an incredibly punchable face, even before his elbow to 92.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Another no suspension.... Carolina may be the chosen one.

I am surprised there wasn't more outrage from the Dougie elbow. I would have liked to see Todd pounding the podium and Brian following up the next day. And folks really wonder what's wrong with Kuzy. He went to flip the switch and got elbowed in the f***ing head. After all these years, its becoming to easier for me to spot players that are playing injured.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
DSP for sure doesn’t make the team faster, lol.

However, he can be a tenacious forechecker, and takes the body as much as anybody on the team not named Wilson or Ovechkin.

Could, and would I imagine, be a sacrificial lamb. Foegle needs a beating? DSP on deck...same for “Dougie”. He’s got an incredibly punchable face, even before his elbow to 92.
He'll also be looking to get back in the good graces of the boys.

It's clear DSP loves this team, so I would think after being sent to timeout in Hershey he probably felt pretty bad about his play and is looking to lay it all on the line if he got a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
DSP will be hungry and crush some people in the process. He’s meant for the playoffs. He’s a a proven playoff warrior. Watch DSP join the team and we come out firing. I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong, but I doubt I will be. Even though we look slow, we don’t need to get faster. We need to punish these guys. They’ve been the ones dictating the play it seems like. I’m honestly shocked we haven’t roughed them up and put them in their place.

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
OK, time to move past this ****. As Caps fans we are better than all of this. The next guy will step up and the Caps will take down the Canes in the next game. No time to whine for the next 10 pages about no suspension. What it is time for is to get back on track and get this W tomorrow and get the lead back in this series. Getting the win in tomorrows game is what is going to shut the Carolina fans up. Whining about no suspension is going to just add fuel to there fire.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
A interesting quote from Ovechkin

It has to be,” Ovechkin said. “It’s a wake-up call for all of us. We can’t hope one guy going to make a save or score a goal. You have to go out there and play your game. If you don’t want to do it, don’t play.

Anyone else get the feeling he is calling out certain teammates? Like Kuzy for example
Nah, he's not calling anyone out in particular rather the entire team for not bringing it.

Game 4 was our best game of the series and we still haven't played a full 60.

Also it's not OV's style to call guys out, he's never done it and he never will. He rode shotgun for the Alex Semin no f***s tour, and watched Mike Green go out on the town the night before a playoff game and said nothing. He most assuredly is not going to call out a guy who is putting in all of the work but not getting it done. Kuznetsov's biggest vice is trying to do too much himself, can't see him getting called out in the media for caring too much. Also KZ92 is the reason we won Game 2

That all said I do believe that the ice situation in Carolina has mostly hurt Kuzy's game of all people. He's our major puck cycler, he is the guy who relies mostly on tape to tape passes, etc. Shit ice is bad for all hockey players, but guys like Kuznetsov have their game completely neutered by it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Carolina is somehow swarming 4 men on the puck carrier as we enter the offensive zone -every time. It’s not sustainable but these jerks are young and hungry.

They need to dump and chase and pound. 4 games in now it might be too late to inflict the physical toll that would have that work.

Don't agree with the dump and chase. Carolina is out skating them to basically every loose puck, including dump-ins. Dump and chase is just truncating every rush they have and giving the puck back to the Hurricanes.

They need a better breakout from their own zone against the Canes' 2-1-2. The Caps are having to burn 2 passes just to get out of their own zone, and they end up with only one or maybe two forwards rushing the puck through the neutral zone. The 'Canes are able to not only force these additional passes to get out of the zone, but dictate where they go to, and trap the Caps F1 as he tries to cross the blue line. Caps need to find a way to be more efficient on the breakout, win some 1-on-1 match-ups against the Canes forecheckers, and get better numbers heading up ice. Having the defensemen each on their natural side with clear responsibilities should help with their breakout.

edit; I do agree that they need to get the puck down low more often. Alan May also said it during the broadcast last night. Get the puck beneath the goal line and have two forwards down there to move it. Make Carolina play the full length of the rink. Make Carolina play in the dirty areas. Use the corners to open up the center of the ice and general lateral chances against Mrazek.

Last edited:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
OK, time to move past this ****. As Caps fans we are better than all of this. The next guy will step up and the Caps will take down the Canes in the next game. No time to whine for the next 10 pages about no suspension. What it is time for is to get back on track and get this W tomorrow and get the lead back in this series. Getting the win in tomorrows game is what is going to shut the Carolina fans up. Whining about no suspension is going to just add fuel to there fire.
I see you are unaccustomed with our ways...

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Healthy hungry bodies can provide a nice boost
The anger in losing Oshie + the energy they get from DSP walking into the room+ice that isn't so bad Al Gore is making a movie about it?

Strap some rocket ships to these boys, next game is going to the moon.

Predict a 5-1 or 6-1 blowout.

I'm getting Washington-Tampa Game 7 vibes.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
No suspension is horse sh*t.
If they aren't fired up now after yet another dirty hit, Oshie injured, and DOPS screwing them again... then quite frankly they just deserve to lose. Loses and upsets happen but even neutral fans have said the Caps look 'bored'.

Don't try telling Canes fans that though ("you're not giving us enough respect, etc." :blah:).

Last edited:
Reactions: StrikingDistance

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
DSP will be hungry and crush some people in the process. He’s meant for the playoffs. He’s a a proven playoff warrior. Watch DSP join the team and we come out firing. I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong, but I doubt I will be. Even though we look slow, we don’t need to get faster. We need to punish these guys. They’ve been the ones dictating the play it seems like. I’m honestly shocked we haven’t roughed them up and put them in their place.
We also only need to get beyond Carolina before speed isn't an issue again until much later in the playoffs. Carolina is easily the fastest team in the east.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I had no idea they are the fastest team. I thought they were a bunch of young candy canes ready to be snapped in half.

I only know one way to kill speed. But I keep saying it - they are a big team. So hitting them may not be as effective as it may be against a small team. But its a risk I am willing to take. I will forever think hitting is net positive for teams. We have big hitters folks and you know it. Only all world talents like Ovi score from their butt.

a2xNuk8.gif

847056322.gif

FaithfulElderlyAuk.gif

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Also on all of the notes on lack of breakouts and turnovers and intercepting passes . Orlov looked great skating the puck up being s one man break in. Maybe don’t force the unneeded pass or dump and just skate it in

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Carolina is simply a tough matchup.

If we win this series we'll look back at them as being one of the tougher matchups we had at the end of our run.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
DSP is going to come in hot too.

He has 14 points in 20 GP in Hershey. The AHL doesn't share TOI (it's a weird thing from a bygone era where teams try to obscure some stats in their developmental league) but I would imagine he's probably played top 6 minutes and is good to go.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The standard the league is setting is a joke. Shove a superstar player in to the boards, take him out of the playoffs, and get 2 minutes. What a joke.

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
Last season in the playoffs I remember sitting and saying to myself here we go again when the Caps were down 0-2 to Columbus. This is a much better scenario than that as the series is tied and we still have home ice advantage. I think as Caps fans and winning the cup last season has already spoiled us somewhat as we as fans feel we should steamroll some of these teams. I don't see how we can steamroll any of these quality playoff teams that we might come up against. They made the playoffs for a reason. Last season when the Capitals won the Stanley Cup I remember being a nervous wreck throughout the entire process because the whole tournament warrants that because you never know what is going to happen. The same goes for this year. Every year there are 16 teams lucky enough to make the playoffs and only 1 of them are the luckiest of them all to hoist the best trophy of them all over there heads at the end. Last year it was the Capitals. It is not an easy task as we all know as Capitals fans. So sit back and bite our nails as we watch and cross our fingers and hope the Capitals advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad