Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
No suspension
blindfolded-2025474__340.png

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
Why would they want DSP back? It's past time for a prospect or two to get a chance. You have to keep it fresh and have hungry players to take the next step, I think this was a bit of Tampa's problem. Outside of Cernak it was the same team.

They won't all work out but you can never know what you have unless they get a shot.
I agree with you if you have a sure fire prospect such as the Avs have in Cale Makar. I am not sure that we have that young player to call up and step right into the playoff situation like that and give significant minutes because we lost a key contributor in Oshie to an injury. The is where I think DSP fir in well. Is he the perfect fit absolutely not, but he is what we have and he has been there and can add experience and hopefully a spark. I may be wrong and if you can give me some young prospect that you think the Caps could insert immediately in a crucial game 5 and give a lot of minutes to then please let me know who that is.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
DSP needs to use his big body and Run the goalie. He’s been to hot and making being scared will get him off his game.

Actually we haven’t been able to score on him since he faked a concussion on the 5 min major PP

f***. It made him stop overthinking things. Got him into the game. Its not always a bad thing to take/give a hit to get into a game. Now, not necessarily a puck to the head. But whatever works. Our O is worthless and weak. Screens and driving the net is great, but linemates need to figure out to rip the puck there asap. Stop f***ing around holding the puck thinking you are 99.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I feel like Caps are trying to beat Canes with speed and odd man rushes. Just play better 5 men defense and wait for opportunities, they are young and will make mistakes.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Caps were inconsistent whole year, I doubt slightly fatty DSP would make such a big difference.

Well, he has made a difference to his future in the NHL. He went from a desirable bottom 6 forward and a playoff hero to a player that no team in the league wanted, despite his 'discount' contract.

Both him and Stephenson are behaving as if they somehow deserve a guaranteed NHL spot. Both will be out of the league by next season, the way things are shaping up.

Hopefully, DSP can redeem himself and adopts a different attitude in the offseason.

Reactions: shtorm2005

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
If some of you are interested, I would highly recommend watching Coach's Corner from Leafs-Bruins game going on right now. There is a 20 second montage on Caps that summarizes the whole series, as far as I'm concerned.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Washington is now 8:1 to win the cup....

I won't sell short a motivated DSP. Watch for that pep in his first chance around 830pm on Saturday night. Maybe @racingmoose can let us know if he looks faster than he ever did in Hershey. He likely doesn't want to go back to Hershey again. No offense.

A2VEbF.gif

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Thanks for the Hershey report, clear and concise as always. At least he has racked up points. Can you give a best guess of his average Bear TOI.... maybe high TOI spells in better shape.

Here is my take. Without a new wrinkle in our PP, Orpik heroics... we are damn close to being down 3-1 if not out of it completely. We kinda suck without DSP, and won a cup with DSP, with almost the exact same team. We may win but look sloppy for 50 minutes. Hockey is so random of a sport, it's ok to sometimes not overthink things. Throw it and see if it sticks again. The only commitment is 1 shift if its bad.

If our playoff 4 was a great line, I wouldn't want to break it up. It's all about line chemistry. So no one said it but DSP lost a kick ass center that he worked great with. I would like Todd to tell his line to feed DSP, and tell DSP to work the slot laterally a la Conno, and storm the net and post up a Dman.

DSP was getting a lot of TOI, and also drawing PP time regularly which should mean he got himself into better shape. If it wasn't for what he did last year in the playoffs, his performance in Hershey wouldn't have impressed as NHL material. He needs to use his hockey sense and play physical. Hopefully DSP starts playing a heavy game now that he's back up with the Caps. As you said, it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Washington is now 8:1 to win the cup....

I won't sell short a motivated DSP. Watch for that pep in his first chance around 830pm on Saturday night. Maybe @racingmoose can let us know if he looks faster than he ever did in Hershey. He likely doesn't want to go back to Hershey again. No offense.

A2VEbF.gif

I'll be at the game in Washington Saturday and will be interested to see if it's a different DSP. As a Caps fan, I hope so.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I feel like Caps are trying to beat Canes with speed and odd man rushes. Just play better 5 men defense and wait for opportunities, they are young and will make mistakes.

That sounds right. Keith Jones was just saying we figured out how to beat their forecheck, but yeah it almost requires scoring off the rush, as we have no real sustained attacks after the initial rush.

We got through center using quick crisp and crafty passing. It's needed to beat modern D tactics trying to clog up center.

One of my pet peevs, 2 guys on the rush, carrier pulls up to obviously pass, and his teammate insists on trying to squeeze behind him, as the first backs towards the boards. Go to the f***ing net dumbass.

Reactions: shtorm2005

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast

If the Caps are using speed to beat the Canes then the series is over. Because the Caps aren't fast. For examples of fast teams go watch Columbus, Colorado, Vegas.
As has been said numerous times, the Caps are a big, hard hitting physical team. That kind of play creates nervous opponents who turn pucks over because they rush their passes and make mistakes.
Before this series started I heard all kinds of comments on here about how "small" the Canes are and the Caps can easily push them around. Well....let's get to it then.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Our speed is fine IMO, it's that its really difficult to get the puck to a guy at speed. The pass has to have speed, more importantly than the player, to be able to navigate through center.

As important of course, is to spring the guy with the best speed or finishing ability. Code for Hagelin and Kuzy.

Jones implied on our first goal, that Nick was slow to get back.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I agree with you if you have a sure fire prospect such as the Avs have in Cale Makar. I am not sure that we have that young player to call up and step right into the playoff situation like that and give significant minutes because we lost a key contributor in Oshie to an injury. The is where I think DSP fir in well. Is he the perfect fit absolutely not, but he is what we have and he has been there and can add experience and hopefully a spark. I may be wrong and if you can give me some young prospect that you think the Caps could insert immediately in a crucial game 5 and give a lot of minutes to then please let me know who that is.

I agree with you, I am talking more about next season.

Hoping DSP can do something in his limited ice time.

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
I agree with you, I am talking more about next season.

Hoping DSP can do something in his limited ice time.
I certainly don't think he is going to be a series breaker because players like Kuzy, Backstrom, OV, and Carlson have to be those players that take over there, but if he can just add a little needed spark and be an agitator in front of the net then I think he will help out.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I admit. The Oshie injury has taken it out of me for this playoff series. I turned on g4 in time to see the Canes celly on their opening goal. I turned it off and didn't watch another minute of it. Very likely I wont watch tomorrow night. I hope DSP scores a hatty but a killer turnover is more likely.

Someone other than 8, 19 and 44 needs to come play and I am not really seeing it. One thing that hasn't changed is that the Caps are still a lousy favorite.

So was Tampa and Pittsburgh.

And quite possibly Winnipeg, Calgary, Boston, San Jose, and perhaps Nashville.

The “favourites” are getting torched.

Looks like you are feeling better, Tex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad