Injury Report: M*A*S*H* 4077th Is Calling - Triage Has Been Overrun.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Only a hunch here..... but it's beginning to sound to me like Galchenyuk was hurt coming into camp and it got aggravated during the Kings game. Even though the Coyotes said he came in excellent shape.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I disagree. Like Chayka said, why make a knee jerk decision. Why trade for another bottom six to bury in the minors later and use up a contract, if we have one to use in the first place. These are not suppose to be long term so I think we can maybe move a Cousins, Keller or someone else to C. It's not the ideal situation, but neither is dumpster diving.

I'd love to see us go a full season without making a waiver claim (ie, dumpster diving).

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
What the hell is it with the secrecy? Why can't they just tell us what's wrong with him and the estimated time to recover? So stupid.

I guess the fear is opponents might try to Target the injured area when the player returns. If it's his groin, I'd imagine a few shots to "the lower abdominal region" as they used to say on the wrestling shows in the 70s and 80s.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I guess the fear is opponents might try to Target the injured area when the player returns. If it's his groin, I'd imagine a few shots to "the lower abdominal region" as they used to say on the wrestling shows in the 70s and 80s.
That would be a real kick in the groin. But seriously, folks, hiding injuries and return timetables made some sense before the information age but given how fast information flows now hiding details has become just a hockey tradition.

Now that the NHL is in Vegas an gambling on hockey becomes bigger money I expect the NHL to mimic NFL and MLB rules with open information so that gamblers with inside information can't game the system.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
What the hell is it with the secrecy? Why can't they just tell us what's wrong with him and the estimated time to recover? So stupid.
It's been like this for a while now. Everything is upper or lower body and day-to-day/week-to-week/etc...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

My guess is that it's a HIPAA complication; I'd be interested to know whether this sort of thing was negotiated into the CBA.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I'm struggling to put the puzzle pieces together on Galchenyuk's injury and status. If I was forced to bet, it is a knee and very minor...perhaps a scope to remove a bone chip or similar, where the only trauma/healing is at the site of intrusion?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Best guess on Galchenyuk's injury isn't that it is 100% groin related, but probably a hip flexor strain. Those suck to deal with, because any movement of lifting your leg is impacted by that. Hip flexors are not difficult to pull, but it renders you kind of useless. I remember when I had pulled mine many moons ago, it was probably about 3-4 weeks before I felt no discomfort at all, and that was for a minor strain. Depending on how bad it is, that could put Galchenyuk in the 5-6 week recovery range, which would fit with the timeline.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Only a hunch here..... but it's beginning to sound to me like Galchenyuk was hurt coming into camp and it got aggravated during the Kings game. Even though the Coyotes said he came in excellent shape.

That doesn't jive with the fact everyone was surprised he was hurt based on his training camp and exhibition play. He looked great. Not like a guy hiding an injury.

It is all guesswork at this point but I think they just don't want to rush him back. Maybe they saw how that derailed him in 2016-17. He was point per game on the top line, got hurt, came back too early, obviously looked it, and Julien ripped him off the top line and blamed him for poor play instead of seeing he still needed recovery time. They don't want that again, especially Tocchet who seems to have taken a liking to him.

Reactions: Peanut and Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That doesn't jive with the fact everyone was surprised he was hurt based on his training camp and exhibition play. He looked great. Not like a guy hiding an injury.

It is all guesswork at this point but I think they just don't want to rush him back. Maybe they saw how that derailed him in 2016-17. He was point per game on the top line, got hurt, came back too early, obviously looked it, and Julien ripped him off the top line and blamed him for poor play instead of seeing he still needed recovery time. They don't want that again, especially Tocchet who seems to have taken a liking to him.

Small injuries can turn into big ones if they’re constantly aggravated.

By small I mean tiny muscle and/or joint strains. Not enough to knock you out of the box at first, but they can get worse as you push through them.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Overheard a conversation that I wasn’t supposed to hear and learned what Galchenyuk’s injury is. Probably not the best idea to leak medical information into an Internet forum, but the injury is more of a 2 or 3 month process (according to google) and not a 3-4 week recovery.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Overheard a conversation that I wasn’t supposed to hear and learned what Galchenyuk’s injury is. Probably not the best idea to leak medical information into an Internet forum, but the injury is more of a 2 or 3 month process (according to google) and not a 3-4 week recovery.

Ouch. Not to be mean, but I hope they were just trolling you :-/.

If this is right info... Very sad news indeed.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

It’s not a good idea.

My daughter is studying to become an athletic trainer and she would string you up for that. :laugh:

There is a code among trainers in relaying any injury info to outside individuals not directly involved with the injured party is grounds to have you boiled in oil, then skinned. :nod:

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
'Yotes Notes: Hayton, Lyubushkin Make Opening Night Roster

"All of these injuries are not long-term things," General Manager John Chayka said after the roster went public. "They're short-term so hopefully we're able to get off to a good start, and then we get those guys back and that raises us to another level."

Not at all doubting what you heard, but this is straight from John Chayka in a article published on the Coyotes site today. If Chucky were to be out 2-3 months, I think they would probably classify that as long term, and definitely wouldn't specifically call it "short-term" like they did today.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I believe you overheard what you overheard. The part about googling the timeline is suspect. What google says about you and me going to Doctor Joe Schmoe and getting physical therapy at whatever strip mall PT place doesn’t have a whole lot of bearing on the reality that multi million dollar elite athletes with top of the line care are dealing in.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I saw on a main boards thread that Chychrun is out with an ACL injury. Is this the same one that kept him out towards the end of last year? I really hope he hasn’t reinjured anything.

When is he slated to come back? Where do you guys think he will play when he does? Thanks.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I saw on a main boards thread that Chychrun is out with an ACL injury. Is this the same one that kept him out towards the end of last year? I really hope he hasn’t reinjured anything.

When is he slated to come back? Where do you guys think he will play when he does? Thanks.

Was that same injury he got from being slew footed into the boards late last season. He had surgery and is getting closer to coming back now. No re-injury that I've heard of! From what the team has said, he's not too far away. I'd guess maybe early November isn't too bad of a guess (maybe earlier depending?)... Think he takes a bottom pairing spot to start, probably has a chance to work into top 4.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I kinda hate to think this, but with Dvo beiug injured and also just signing that extension; do you think (possibly) Dvorak keep some of this nagging injury secret? Like, obviously he was hurt near the end of the season. But maybe he didn't completely divulge how much trouble he was having with it to Chayka. I'm just wondering if this injury had any sort of factor on the extension one way or another.

Maybe Chayka knew it was not a simple injury and thats why he gave the relatively low cap hit offer for a 2nd line center, or did Dvo know his injury would cause his problems so he might as well lock in now while he can? Maybe it's a combination of both. I know it probably sounds confusing, but it just made me think a lot about the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad