M.A. Fleury a Hall of Famer?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He isn't very good, he's very average and played on a very good team. He never took his team to the Cup; even in 09 the Pens won many games, especially in the 1st and 2nd round, despite Fleury not because of him.
There are a number of very average players who played on good teams in the Hall already.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Not even close. Wins mean nothing about how good a goalie is. All Fleury had to do most his career was not be sub average, and sometimes he was and still put up a bunch of wins because he played with the two best players of this era.

An average goalie would have put up similar win totals in Pittsburgh.

Hall of decent for Fleury.

This is the hall of fame we're talking about. Fleury has only had 2 GREAT seasons. 08 and this year. The rest he's all over the place, a couple decent years and then alot of average years and a few horrible years. He's not even Osgood.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know there were no ties, but 500 wins has still only been done twice, probably thrice by the time MAF is up (Lundqvist)

I don't see how you keep him out.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If you have to ask if a player is a HHOF'er he's not. It's better to wait a few years and see how his career plays out before evaluating such a question

Reactions: Peat

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
There are multiple goalies in my opinion more deserving of the HHOF who have played during the time Fleury has such as Luongo, Hank, Price, Holtby, Quick, Bobrovsky, to start with and probably only 4 of them make the HHOF

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
He isn't very good, he's very average and played on a very good team. He never took his team to the Cup; even in 09 the Pens won many games, especially in the 1st and 2nd round, despite Fleury not because of him.
.922 save percentage against the Flyers, including this game. Bad take.

The 2009 Capitals and Penguins were the two eminent offensive teams and didn't have a game where they scored less than 2 goals each; no goalie is going to win that series with a hot stat line. Nicklas Lidstrom was a -4 once.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Being as he doesn't have a Vezina (yet), I think he would have to hit 500 wins to cement his spot there. Don't forget only 1 of his 3 cups was he a starter for. The season he is having for Vegas is certainly raising his stock for the HoF though, I expect him to be a Vezina nominee.

Luongo doesnt have a vezina and people think he in

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Not yet but looking what he's doing in Vegas this year has really raised my opinion about him. If Vegas is somehow a powerhouse for the next 3 years with MAF starting in net and he reaches 500, gonna be hard to say no.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
400 wins, approx 225 GAA, 9.20 save % and he is not HOF material. Hows Price doing these days? He backstops LV to the second best record as an expansion team. Remind me again who has ever done that? He is certainly a HOF goalie. 4 cup finals, name me another goalie who has that presently?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Not even close. Wins mean nothing about how good a goalie is. All Fleury had to do most his career was not be sub average, and sometimes he was and still put up a bunch of wins because he played with the two best players of this era.

An average goalie would have put up similar win totals in Pittsburgh.

Hall of decent for Fleury.

This is the hall of fame we're talking about. Fleury has only had 2 GREAT seasons. 08 and this year. The rest he's all over the place, a couple decent years and then alot of average years and a few horrible years. He's not even Osgood.

YES! You have only to look at the abject failure of the Vegas Golden Knights with Fleury in net to know that he's no HOFer!!!!

(Or would you suggest that VGK is as good as the Pens he played behind?)

Reactions: ChanceVegas

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
YES! You have only to look at the abject failure of the Vegas Golden Knights with Fleury in net to know that he's no HOFer!!!!

(Or would you suggest that VGK is as good as the Pens he played behind?)

VGK is certainly a much better defensive team than Pittsburgh. But i give Fleury credit, he's been amazing this year. But it's just one year and He's missed alot of time aswell, so not even a full year.

One good year doesn't make him a HOFer.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
400 wins, approx 225 GAA, 9.20 save % and he is not HOF material. Hows Price doing these days? He backstops LV to the second best record as an expansion team. Remind me again who has ever done that? He is certainly a HOF goalie. 4 cup finals, name me another goalie who has that presently?

920? Where are you getting that number?

Fleury's Save percentage in his career is 913% which is right around average for this Era. Hardly anything even close to HOF worthy.

Reactions: Intact

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
His stats are average, and he's never been in the conversation for top goalie in any season in his career (highest Vezina finish at 7). Him, Lundqvist, and Luongo will be the first class of the non-tie era. He might get in on wins, cups, and personality alone, before the Hall catches on to the rising win totals across the board.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
How many goalies have 400 wins and are not in the HOF? How many goalies with 3 cups and 4 SC finals are not in the HOF? How many goalies presently playing have won cups? Are they playing better than MAF? Rask has exactly how many cups? How about Bob in Columbus? How may play off series has he won? How about the goalie in Nashville. He was removed from two games in the SC finals. Do they sound like HOF goalies to you. King Henry? WTF has he ever won? First ballot HOF. No question.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I know there were no ties, but 500 wins has still only been done twice, probably thrice by the time MAF is up (Lundqvist)

I don't see how you keep him out.

You watch the games Fleury plays in.

This is typical hfboards. He is doing okay this year and suddenly we declare him a HOF'er?

I don't want to waste any energy on this mediocre goalie but why don't you look at the history of messages regarding Fleury even on the Penguins board.

Not too long ago Pens couldn't wait for him to be gone.

Fleury is as average as they come who benefited from being on stacked teams throughout most of his career. He NEVER carried a team.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
He gets slighted because he’s played for offense first teams that put up huge offensive numbers but often left him out to dry on the back end – it’s not that he’s suddenly become a lock down goalie with Vegas, they just actually play both end of the ice. As a result he’s putty up great numbers… how much of that is him and how much of that is the team in front of him, we’ll see over the next few years – if he hangs around for a few more years and gets over 500 wins, he’ll get consideration, but if he is able to put up decent numbers for Vegas into his late 30s, which is a rarity in the NHL. He’ll probably finish his career second all-time in wins. He’ll probably get another 10 wins this year – he would have to average less than 30 wins a year over the next 5 to get to 550 plus.

I think Luongo will get in as well – he’ll have over 500 wins and was considered an exceptional talent, but played for brutal Florida teams. I think his play was at its best during a three or four year stretch in his mid 20s – during that time he lost at least 30 games every year. I think one year, he put up over a .930 SV% and still lost almost 35 games to go with another dozen or so overtime loses. He’s been in the league 18 years, for over half of that time the league SV% was under.910 and at .905 or below four of those years, considering he has a career .919 SV% is pretty impressive. Considering someone like Price has been in the league 11 years, has the same career SV%, but during his time the league SV% has been over .913 seven times, including back to back years of .915.

Last edited:

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Yes, he will go into the HOF.

For the people saying he was only the starter for 1/3 of the Cup wins.......don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, MAF won 9 of the 16 games last year in the playoffs. Without him the Pens do not win the Cup last year. I would assume most Pens fans wish he was still with the organization as Murray has not yet shown that he can handle the grind of being a #1 for a full NHL season.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
No. The standards for goalies are very high and Fleury isn't particularly close to reaching them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad