M.A. Fleury a Hall of Famer?

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Being as he doesn't have a Vezina (yet), I think he would have to hit 500 wins to cement his spot there. Don't forget only 1 of his 3 cups was he a starter for. The season he is having for Vegas is certainly raising his stock for the HoF though, I expect him to be a Vezina nominee.

Reactions: HabsQC

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Remember in no tie eras, wins and losses mean less when directly comparing before.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
He's never won the Vezina
He was the starter in 1 of his 3 cup wins
All of his wins were in an era with no ties
No. He's on the same level as Chris Osgood IMO.
if it were to stop now but maf has a few years left.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
As said above, he was the starter for only 1 of the pens cups,

as well his vezina finishes: 7, 8

Nope.

Reactions: Neutrinos

BurghThang

Dec 14, 2013
If he pops 500 wins (33/year over next 3 years...very doable...)...that would put him 3rd all time...with 3 cups he would have to be in the hall I think

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
He's never won the Vezina
He was the starter in 1 of his 3 cup wins
All of his wins were in an era with no ties
No. He's on the same level as Chris Osgood IMO.

Last year that was my exact same argument. Maf = Chris osgood

But he pulled the pens thru the first two rounds of the playoffs. When did osgood ever put on a performance like that?

Not saying hes in the hof just yet but he's moved well ahead of ozzy

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018
Being as he doesn't have a Vezina (yet), I think he would have to hit 500 wins to cement his spot there. Don't forget only 1 of his 3 cups was he a starter for. The season he is having for Vegas is certainly raising his stock for the HoF though, I expect him to be a Vezina nominee.
He might of been the backup but the pens don’t win the cup last year without him when Murray got hurt in the playoffs fleury really stepped up he deserves just as much credit as Murray for them winning last year

Reactions: HabsQC and Vachon23

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
he has the accolades but is he really a hall of fame talent/caliber goalie, I'm not so sure.

he played on penguins teams who gave him tons of run support and played alongside two generational players. Matt Murray supplanted him as the number one guy in the b2b cup runs.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
In order to be a Hall of Fame goalie on Hfboards criteria, you need 350+ wins, personal hardware and a Stanley Cup. Joseph and Luongo don't have the hardware and the Cup. Fleury doesn't have the hardware. Lundqvist and Miller don't have the Cup. Quick doesn't have the hardware, Ward might not get the wins.

You might never see another goalie in the Hall of fame, unless Bobrovsky, Holtby, Price or Rask win a Cup and another hundred games before they're done. Rinne could win a Cup this year but he still wouldn't have the Vezina, right? That's the standard, right?

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Last year that was my exact same argument. Maf = Chris osgood

But he pulled the pens thru the first two rounds of the playoffs. When did osgood ever put on a performance like that?

Not saying hes in the hof just yet but he's moved well ahead of ozzy
Well ahead of Ozzy?

Osgood was a big part of the reason Detroit won the cup in '08 when he replaced Hasek. And he was very strong again in 2009.

Fleury is still very similar to Osgood and neither one belongs in the Hall in my opinion.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
After the rule changes its really hard to say.Wins are much more easy to get then before but now these rules apply to every new goalie.Wins is all he has going for him other than being on a stacked team in the playoffs.
He probably will if compared to goalies of the modern era.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes. I expect him to be in the league another 6 or 7 seasons and will end his career well over 500 wins. Maybe end with another cup.... with a fresh expansion team no-less....

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
He isn't very good, he's very average and played on a very good team. He never took his team to the Cup; even in 09 the Pens won many games, especially in the 1st and 2nd round, despite Fleury not because of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad