News Article: Lyndon Slewidge

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
So according to CTV's report last night it seems it was somewhat all or nothing for Slewidge....the Sens contacted him a few weeks back about doing several key games throughout the year including the Alfie game which he turned down.

Perhaps there is more info to come but man some of you need to wait and hear both sides before jumping on something

Ragged

Sep 10, 2009
So...so far, for the 25th anniversary season we have:

-No new jerseys or reverting back to the 90s-2007 jerseys and logos like the majority of fans have been wanting for years. Despite the fact that the heritage jersey is the most popular jersey by a wide margin and that Ottawa is the only team in the league still using that god awful Rbk Edge jersey template.
-Nothing significant planned for celebrating the history of this franchise. If you didn't already know it's the franchise's silver anniversary, you would not know.
-An absolute joke of a 25th anniversary patch. The team is not even wearing them though lol (not that it's a bad thing:laugh:)
-Letting go of the 25 year anthem singer, a staple of Senators hockey and a club tradition, for no reason at all.

Hmm, yep, sounds about right for this organization.:shakehead

This club's marketing department is so out of touch and it is so frustrating as a fan. Are these people not held accountable? For me the biggest thing are the jerseys. I will never forgive them for selling out to Rbk in 2007 and ditching the franchise's original jerseys/logos/branding, and replacing them with cookie-cutter, cartoony minor league style BS. We are now in the 10th season of rbk jerseys and as a fan I still don't feel accustomed to them, they still don't feel like real Senators jerseys. They never did and they never will.

The only redeemable thing they did in the past 10 years was the heritage sweater, but then again it wasn't even their idea. They had to hire a fan who actually had a clue to do something right. Had it not been for Jerkstore, these morons would have been perfectly content with the SNES abominations and they'd probably still be wearing them today.:shakehead

Pretty much this. Add in the lack of professional courtesy shown by the organization, and that about sums it up. Did they have to contact Lyndon Slewidge to inform him of their position? Absolutely not. But should they have? Yep. From a class organization like the Sens, I expect better. I also wonder how they thought word of this wouldn't get out. Not sure what they were thinking.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Pretty much this. Add in the lack of professional courtesy shown by the organization, and that about sums it up. Did they have to contact Lyndon Slewidge to inform him of their position? Absolutely not. But should they have? Yep. From a class organization like the Sens, I expect better. I also wonder how they thought word of this wouldn't get out. Not sure what they were thinking.

According to CTV's Matt Skube the team did reach out to him and he declined the proposed deal to continue singing at several key games but also allow a transition of new singers to enter the fold.....diminished role anyone?

To me it almost seems like the Sens are staying quiet so they do not have to expose this info to the public which would likely flip the script and perhaps it could tarnish his reputation...totally speculating of course.

Ragged

Sep 10, 2009
According to CTV's Matt Skube the team did reach out to him and he declined the proposed deal to continue singing at several key games but also allow a transition of new singers to enter the fold.....diminished role anyone?

To me it almost seems like the Sens are staying quiet so they do not have to expose this info to the public which would likely flip the script and perhaps it could tarnish his reputation...totally speculating of course.

That makes sense. Seems odd that Lyndon would say he hasn't heard from them though.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I've been going to Ottawa games for 20 years, and right now everything about the way this team is marketed is ridiculously cringey. They could maybe, possibly, defend not bringing Slewidge back, but leaving him in the dark after 25 years of service is just another black mark on this bush league organization.

While I'm at it, the white rapper they've had doing the Sens-themed songs for the past two years is Spartan-level cringe.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Okay this is something that we as the fans need to get behind and tell Sens marketing to get Slewidge back in the arena.
Need a catchy hashtag and someone with a good twitter account!

#SilverSlewidge maybe?

I love Sledwidge. Best anthem singer ever. He's the Alfie of anthem singers, so Sens should bring him back to the Mike ASAP.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Carrie Underwood got all the Sunday Night NFL football intros...

Sens should promote local talent imo. Lynden had a good run.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So according to CTV's report last night it seems it was somewhat all or nothing for Slewidge....the Sens contacted him a few weeks back about doing several key games throughout the year including the Alfie game which he turned down.

Perhaps there is more info to come but man some of you need to wait and hear both sides before jumping on something

Ugh......well that muddies the waters. According to the original Citizen article, Slewidge said he wasn't contacted at all.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Ugh......well that muddies the waters. According to the original Citizen article, Slewidge said he wasn't contacted at all.

No he said he wasn't offered a contract.
If you reread the Citizen article, it sounds like they talked but the Sens have changed some of the terms they typically had in their deal.
So there were discussions but nothing came to fruition out of it without saying why.

testinz

Oct 2, 2007
I'm not sure why people up in arm about this. Who would expect to have a job for 20+ years? He got a really good run and should be thankful to the organization - instead of putting on a show like that.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
No he said he wasn't offered a contract.
If you reread the Citizen article, it sounds like they talked but the Sens have changed some of the terms they typically had in their deal.
So there were discussions but nothing came to fruition out of it without saying why.

he club’s legendary anthem singer, who was heading into his silver anniversary season with the Senators, confirmed to Postmedia on Monday night that he has not heard from the organization regarding a contract renewal for the 2016-17 campaign.

Asked if he was offered to do some selected games, Slewidge said: “They didn’t offer a contract.â€

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/10/17/song-sung-blue-have-senators-left-anthem-singer-out-in-the-cold

However, sources say the two sides were in contact earlier this month. Slewidge was offered the chance to sing at select games this year, but declined.

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/longtime-senators-anthem-singer-hits-sour-note-1.3120737

Unless we're talking semantics of 'offered a contract' vs. 'verbal offer,' somebody is being less than truthful.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Garrioch has fairly good access to the organizaton so I would have imagined if there was communication he wouls have heard of it or have dug it up.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yeah, the way both articles are written, it's hard to tell what exactly happened.

Sounds like Lyndon was dodging some answers with his wasn't offered a contract. Sounds like he wanted full-time singing vs part-time singing. So he turned it down.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It's a shame...why in the 25th year . A year of nostalgia and memories and now we start with changing the anthem singer? I like the new singers but , really, this could have waited until the 26th year!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sounds like Lyndon was dodging some answers with his wasn't offered a contract. Sounds like he wanted full-time singing vs part-time singing. So he turned it down.

That doesn't really make sense, though. He hasn't been 'full time' for at least a season or two now.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It would seem some fans can complain just about anything.

He was offered to do less games, when he balked and demand an all or nothing contract similar to past, they didn't follow-up with him and went a different direction.

I for one am fine with the team letting some new local talent sing. We might find something even better, which is totally the point of mixing it up. I'd like to have Slew there too, but it isn't going to impact my enjoyment of the game one iota.

I get this gig is part of his "identity" and the change in direction is a hard one to take, but I suspect he'll realize something is better than nothing. And you never know, they might reverse course and start to give him more games again. But playing hard ball on his end doesn't make sense.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

I think it goes back to a previous post stating that LS wanted to sing at all games (contract) and Sens were offering to sing a select games.

I am not surprised that the HF posters jumped all over the Sens without exploring all the facts.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I am not surprised that the HF posters jumped all over the Sens without exploring all the facts.

So, what are the "facts"?

We have one source, Lyndon Slewidge himself, who says: “At the end of the day, and all the years, they didn’t offer a contract this year.†Asked if he was offered to do some selected games, Slewidge said: “They didn’t offer a contract.â€

Then, we have a completely unnamed source who Matt Skube (some guy on CTV) claims: "sources say the two sides were in contact earlier this month. Slewidge was offered the chance to sing at select games this year, but declined."

So which one are we to believe?

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012

We have one source, Lyndon Slewidge himself, who says: “At the end of the day, and all the years, they didn’t offer a contract this year.†Asked if he was offered to do some selected games, Slewidge said: “They didn’t offer a contract.â€

Then, we have a completely unnamed source who Matt Skube (some guy on CTV) claims: "sources say the two sides were in contact earlier this month. Slewidge was offered the chance to sing at select games this year, but declined."

And to think that Skube has better sources/more access to sources than Garrioch (who wrote the original article) is hard to believe.

Flip_4

Mar 22, 2006
Ottawa

No - they didn't offer a contract...they offered select games. He said no. He wanted a contract.

As a fan and a season ticket holder since 1999, I've had my share of problems with the organization and the way they do things, but I've also heard many first-hand accounts of LS that are less than stellar.

I choose to believe they just weren't able to come to an understanding that both parties were happy with. It happens. That's life.

Yes he has been the Senators (only) remaining / existing tradition and it sucks that he's not there. I miss him whenever he's not singing but the singers they've had though have been quite good. I've heard some bad anthems in my day but the ones that have happened so far haven't been bad.

I hope they can come to an understanding and Lyndon will be back for some games. It would be a shame for him to not be a part of this season at all.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
Can't believe people are making a big deal about this and promoting the drama Slewidge is propagating. His ego is hurt and he thinks he's a star so he's making a scene to cause an up-cry to those who like to join into this nonsense.

You lost your job Slewidge like countless people do every day! You had a good run, now move on.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Personally, I dont really care what you believe. To me, it sounds like LS wanted a contract to sing at all games and Sens only wanted him for select games and couldnt find common ground so Sens.

Did you are anyone else even bother to wait to hear the other side of the story before jumping to a conclusion or did you just assume the Sens left LS hanging without any communication?

People are too quick to pile-on and complain on this website.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Personally, I dont really care what you believe. To me, it sounds like LS wanted a contract to sing at all games and Sens only wanted him for select games and couldnt find common ground so Sens.

Did you are anyone else even bother to wait to hear the other side of the story before jumping to a conclusion or did you just assume the Sens left LS hanging without any communication?

People are too quick to pile-on and complain on this website.

That opening sentence is no way to make friends

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad