News Article: Lyndon Slewidge

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Just wanted to add that the young lady who sang it at the Habs game was outstanding...for me, as I attend so often LS anthem well great seems like the standard format....when someone else does it/did it I always would take extra notice and usually appreciate the variety of hearing different singers.

I do agree. She killed it.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Is the revenue lost or do fans simply buy another shirt? That assumes that your contact is correct.

I am more concerned about the on ice product than the person singing the anthem. I am sure that LS is doing alright for money and probably has a nice pension to go along with all the extra money he has earned by singing the anthem.

If the man was broke and needed this money then I would be in favour of him staying on but if not, then let someone have a kick at it.

I feel that some people have an inferiority complex because we dont have "traditions".

Well considering the red and white uniforms are amongst the lowest selling in the league and that suppliers have a dearth of them due to the fact that fans aren't buying them at all, it's fair to say it would be lost revenue.

The Heritage cream coloured jersey has sold more than the red/white ones over the past 3 years, which is impressive since they DISCONTINUED the cream one a year and a half ago.

As for "inferiority complex" over traditions, that's a load and a half. You know what connects a fan to their team? Traditions. We're smack dab between two of the most iconic franchises in all of sport and you don't see them jumping on every hackneyed "hip" thing all the cool kids are doing.

But hey, in Ottawa, we light mups. Cool.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Have you read the article?
The team did not offer him a contract for any games at all this year.

Sorry, whats the disconnect? (I truly don't mean that sarcastically)

The fact that they didn't offer him a contract means that there was a disagreement, but that doesn't necessarily mean its over money. Is that a natural inference? For sure, won't disagree with that. But there are other things that could have risen that are not linked to money.

If you (i.e. the pessimistic folks) really, truly thought the Sens were Cheap, why would they be spending money on some decent upgrades/renos at CTC, even though they plan to move out in 5-6 years? Because they care about the product they are selling.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
So...so far, for the 25th anniversary season we have:

-No new jerseys or reverting back to the 90s-2007 jerseys and logos like the majority of fans have been wanting for years. Despite the fact that the heritage jersey is the most popular jersey by a wide margin and that Ottawa is the only team in the league still using that god awful Rbk Edge jersey template.
-Nothing significant planned for celebrating the history of this franchise. If you didn't already know it's the franchise's silver anniversary, you would not know.
-An absolute joke of a 25th anniversary patch. The team is not even wearing them though lol (not that it's a bad thing:laugh:)
-Letting go of the 25 year anthem singer, a staple of Senators hockey and a club tradition, for no reason at all.

Hmm, yep, sounds about right for this organization.:shakehead

This club's marketing department is so out of touch and it is so frustrating as a fan. Are these people not held accountable? For me the biggest thing are the jerseys. I will never forgive them for selling out to Rbk in 2007 and ditching the franchise's original jerseys/logos/branding, and replacing them with cookie-cutter, cartoony minor league style BS. We are now in the 10th season of rbk jerseys and as a fan I still don't feel accustomed to them, they still don't feel like real Senators jerseys. They never did and they never will.

The only redeemable thing they did in the past 10 years was the heritage sweater, but then again it wasn't even their idea. They had to hire a fan who actually had a clue to do something right. Had it not been for Jerkstore, these morons would have been perfectly content with the SNES abominations and they'd probably still be wearing them today.:shakehead

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

-No new jerseys or reverting back to the 90s-2007 jerseys and logos like the majority of fans have been wanting for years. Despite the fact that the heritage jersey is the most popular jersey by a wide margin and that Ottawa is the only team in the league still using that god awful Rbk Edge jersey template.
-Nothing significant planned for celebrating the history of this franchise. If you didn't already know it's the franchise's silver anniversary, you would not know.
-An absolute joke of a 25th anniversary patch. The team is not even wearing them though lol (not that it's a bad thing:laugh:)
-Letting go of the 25 year anthem singer, a staple of Senators hockey and a club tradition, for no reason at all.

This club's marketing department is so out of touch and it is so frustrating as a fan. Are these people not held accountable? For me the biggest thing are the jerseys. I will never forgive them for selling out to Rbk in 2007 and ditching the franchise's original jerseys/logos/branding, and replacing them with cookie-cutter, cartoony minor league style BS. We are now in the 10th season of rbk jerseys and as a fan I still don't feel accustomed to them, they still don't feel like real Senators jerseys. They never did and they never will.

The only redeemable thing they did in the past 10 years was the heritage sweater, but then again it wasn't even their idea. They had to hire a fan who actually had a clue to do something right. Had it not been for Jerkstore, these morons would have been perfectly content with the SNES abominations and they'd probably still be wearing them today.:shakehead

he hasn't been with the team for 25 years according to Wiki for what its worth.

Also, my math sucks, but I think the true 25th year is 2017-18, not 2016-17....hence why the outdoor game would be in 2017-18.

Rbk was a league wide thing...yes it sucked, but

Leeder said we'd have a new jersey for next year

The sens have been collecting artifacts for a sens museum of sorts, you have the 25 bobbleheads of current and former players being released in 2017....

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
he hasn't been with the team for 25 years according to Wiki for what its worth.

Also, my math sucks, but I think the true 25th year is 2017-18, not 2016-17....hence why the outdoor game would be in 2017-18.

Rbk was a league wide thing...yes it sucked, but

Leeder said we'd have a new jersey for next year

The sens have been collecting artifacts for a sens museum of sorts, you have the 25 bobbleheads of current and former players being released in 2017....

To be fair, I think every team will... isn't that when Adidas takes over from RBK?

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Sorry, whats the disconnect? (I truly don't mean that sarcastically)

The fact that they didn't offer him a contract means that there was a disagreement, but that doesn't necessarily mean its over money. Is that a natural inference? For sure, won't disagree with that. But there are other things that could have risen that are not linked to money.

If you (i.e. the pessimistic folks) really, truly thought the Sens were Cheap, why would they be spending money on some decent upgrades/renos at CTC, even though they plan to move out in 5-6 years? Because they care about the product they are selling.

Sorry for coming at you like that, I didn't take issue with the $$$ thing as that probably isn't the issue. However with the information provided it is pretty obvious that this is on the organization. They didn't offer him a contract for the year and there has been no communication from the team.

I think people are more mad at is the fact that there seems to be a huge disconnect between the organization and the more hardcore fanbase/general fanbase.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I have to agree, our marketing department is probably one of the worst in sports.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
#ConfessYourUnpopularOpinion - I was never a huge Slewidge fan, and I'll be fine with a rotating cast of singers. Having said that, this seems to have been handled with the usual amount of bumbling we have come to know and love from Sens management...

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
#ConfessYourUnpopularOpinion - I was never a huge Slewidge fan, and I'll be fine with a rotating cast of singers. Having said that, this seems to have been handled with the usual amount of bumbling we have come to know and love from Sens management...

Same here, but I will be mad when they don’t re-sign SPARTACAT! :laugh:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Too many comments to go through but it saddens me to see some posters brushing this off and making excuses for the org., or just not getting what the fuss is about.

25TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY FFS.

You don't just replace the best anthem singer in the league, and one that has been there since the start, without even contacting him on the biggest milestone the team has reached. We already have so much less tradition than our closest rivals, and we go and do this?

Pathetic excuse for a marketing team and yes, owner. Eugene needs a reality check.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Maybe having a police officer sing the national anthem is too politicized right now?

He's a retired police officer and there is a less than 0% chance that's the case.

Bush league, joke organization. Unbelievable that a select few are trying to defend this, it really is indefensible.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I could not give less of a **** about this. Games would be better if they didn't sing the anthems beforehand anyway.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
So.....Lindon B Johnson or something like that...I forgot who we were talking about. Anyone change their opinions now lol?

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
Bring Lindon back to sing sometimes or not at all, but whatever the decision treat the guy with respect. He deserves that at least after his many years of great service.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Too many comments to go through but it saddens me to see some posters brushing this off and making excuses for the org., or just not getting what the fuss is about.

25TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY FFS.

You don't just replace the best anthem singer in the league, and one that has been there since the start, without even contacting him on the biggest milestone the team has reached. We already have so much less tradition than our closest rivals, and we go and do this?

Pathetic excuse for a marketing team and yes, owner. Eugene needs a reality check.

It does seem pretty meh for being our 25th Anniversary. I wonder how we stack up against the Lightning and Sharks as far as marketing for their special years.

Saw that the Kings are bringing back all these old commentators to call games for their anniversary, Gary Thorne is one of em.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad