News Article: Lyndon Slewidge

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
What a ****ing joke. best anthem singer in the league.

From the article:

“As part of the Senators 25th anniversary celebrations, the team is trying a number of new in-arena activations for the fans, including inviting other performers and artists to sing the national anthems,” the club said.

I've been a fan since '93 and this pisses me off (more than it should admittedly). Moving to BC in less than 3 weeks, go to at least 10 games a year but I really don't think I'm gonna miss them.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Okay this is something that we as the fans need to get behind and tell Sens marketing to get Slewidge back in the arena.
Need a catchy hashtag and someone with a good twitter account!

#SilverSlewidge maybe?

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
Slewidge is pretty much the closest thing to a tradition this team has, and to cast him aside in the anniversary year is just laughable.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
What makes him the best anthem singer in the league lol? Where is that ranking list?

Zero cares over here. If we have to be subjected to the anthem before every game, just have someone who doesn't butcher it.

Slewidge is as mentioned probably about the only tradition we have in the Sens organization.
And like you say, he definitely does not butcher it.

And arguably I'd say he's the best of the regular anthem singers for any organization. There's been polls previously here on HF at least and he's recognized in the top of the list.

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
So how exactly do we best make this known to the team that no, we don't want random singers? This is a ****ing joke.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So how exactly do we best make this known to the team that no, we don't want random singers? This is a ****ing joke.

These days best way to get it known to an organization is over social media. So twitter, facebook, instagram, etc... but for critical mass usually need to get a trendy hashtag behind you.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
What makes him the best anthem singer in the league lol? Where is that ranking list?

Zero cares over here. If we have to be subjected to the anthem before every game, just have someone who doesn't butcher it.

The fact that he's better than the rest.

[mod]

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Didn't he 'partially retire' from anthem signing around a year or two ago...about the same time he retired from policing? He hasn't sung all the home games for the team for a good 2 seasons now, iirc.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
That would be so 'Sens' to do something like that on their Anniversary year. Worst marketing organization in the league.

Still can't believe that country singer dude said 'thank you!' after singing the anthem the other night. They're not cheering you, idiot, they're cheering the anthem and the team.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Out with the old in with the new I say. Slewedge was a great singer but he was part of the old guard. I'm not going to loose sleep over who sings the anthem

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
That would be so 'Sens' to do something like that on their Anniversary year. Worst marketing organization in the league.

Still can't believe that country singer dude said 'thank you!' after singing the anthem the other night. They're not cheering you, idiot, they're cheering the anthem and the team.
He's #local, lives in Carleton place.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
It's there call - but it doesn't reflect well on the organization that the guy is left wondering what the deal is...

I dunno. Maybe that's not the way it works, but it surprises me that there's a lack of or miscommunication. Just not professional and classy.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
It's there call - but it doesn't reflect well on the organization that the guy is left wondering what the deal is...

I dunno. Maybe that's not the way it works, but it surprises me that there's a lack of or miscommunication. Just not professional and classy.

It should surprise you. Like others have already said in this thread, bush league move by a bush league organization.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Reading what Lyndon has to say breaks my heart, how could this organization treat him like this after him being amazing for us every night he preformed, since the start of this organization? This team has pushed me too far with this. I don't think I'm a Sens fan anymore, I'm just cheering for Erik Karlsson, the Sens are only there by extension.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

Yes that's probably the worst part. He's earned more respect than they are giving him. That's not the way you treat a person who has provided you with good service for 25 years. If you're phasing him out then at least you should at least tell him.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
How much could they possibly be paying him? A few hundred bucks a game?

I don't even know what to say. He doesn't need to do all the games. But he is a tradition.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

That seems actually pretty hard to find these days. The anthems tend to get the standard and predictable RnB treatment with all the tremolo, the in-between notes, and other oversinging techniques. All that's missing is autotune now.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I have heard that Slewidge will be replaced by a different person every night. Each home game, a different young singer will be chosen from a pool of entries. They will live-stream their own selfie performance of Oh Canada, and will be encouraged to make it their own and adapt the tired song to current styles. Each performance will be rated on a scale of 1 to 'tots fleek' by a panel of celebrity judges, such as City Councillor Jan Harder, Rapper Girl Keisha Chante and Ottawa's own Kardashian, Marlen Cowpland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad