LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016, 2nd, WPG) XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm a bit scared of this game, the team just got there and there's no way they've gotten over the time difference yet.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm a bit scared of this game, the team just got there and there's no way they've gotten over the time difference yet.

Other than Canada, Finland will have played 2 of the 3 toughest teams in the tournament. I see USA, Canada, and Sweden as the teams to beat.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Why measure the inches, when most reporters who meet him choose to use adjective "towering" or something similar of him in the articles anyway.

Also, "Lemieux in the morning" sounds kind of dirty.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Excited to see Laine play again. This time against a much different opponent than Sweden. This USA team is gritty and in your face, we'll see how Laine responds to it as he's likely never faced an opponent like this under NHL rules.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Other than Canada, Finland will have played 2 of the 3 toughest teams in the tournament. I see USA, Canada, and Sweden as the teams to beat.

Definitely pretty teaching pre season but this game feels a bit rushed.

I'm also interested to see Buff vs Laine :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Excited to see Laine play again. This time against a much different opponent than Sweden. This USA team is gritty and in your face, we'll see how Laine responds to it as he's likely never faced an opponent like this under NHL rules.

Based on how he reacted to Corey Perry's knee at the WHC. I think he will be fine. His game against Team Canada in my mind was his most impressive in that tournament.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
Definitely pretty teaching pre season but this game feels a bit rushed.

I'm also interested to see Buff vs Laine :laugh:

It would be pretty funny to see Buff not go through with a hit against Laine.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
There's better discussion about Laine in the Team Finland thread then there is in his own thread.. Who cares how tall he is?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
There's better discussion about Laine in the Team Finland thread then there is in his own thread.. Who cares how tall he is?

That's because they're interested in discussing Laine in the context of his performance on the Finnish team. The people in here are worried about arguing over stupid **** and pulling down prospects to elevate others.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I hope he doesn't grow anymore. He's already an inch over what I think is the "optimal" size for a hockey player. Now if he has to grow somehow, I would suggest growing in to his own body. He's already got the size to that point where it's almost causing troubles.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It would be pretty funny to see Buff not go through with a hit against Laine.

And compare to Komarov who was rapping Matthews' shins in the hall corridor after the WHC pre-game in Helsinki in the spring with words of encouragement, in Finnish. :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Back to tonight's game against Team USA. This game will be interesting for me. Tough opponent, could be chippy, a team that uses the body, a team that has a lot of skill.

Mentioned this earlier, but Laine's most impressive game from the WHC is one where he didn't even register a point drawing a lot of praise. But he was dangerous all game, was very engaged, where he withstood a lot of attention from Team Canada's players.

If Laine shows the same qualities as he did in that game, he should have his best game thus far in the World Cup.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
:laugh:, No kidding.
I started reading this thread in the prior page to see how Laine is making out in the Worlds because I haven't been able to watch Finland yet. I don't recall a single post about anything other than his height.
Guess I'll check XIII after it gets going for something interesting on Laine.

He has been mostly quiet through both games.

He is going to need most of the pre tourney games, and probably the regular round play before I believe we will see a Lainesque style game.

There are a few bigger ice habits he currently has, that he will need to rid his game of, because they just do not work on the smaller ice with fast bigger players.

One thing he does time to time, on the power play, is turning his back to the play, with the puck,on the half wall. The bigger surface he would normally have 5 or so feet of room to maneuver, but on the smaller ice he finds himself against the boards. The defender can easily pinch on him and tie him up, or force a bad pass.

His decision making will need to be quicker, and an understanding of when and when not to hold the puck.

Tonight will be an interesting test for him, more of a North America style matchup, curious to see how he handles it.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
The kid has looked like a stud in the USA game so far. First period behind and he hit the cross bar once, threw a penalty and then fed a cross ice saucer pass for Barkov on the PP who couldn't get the release in time (with an accurate one-timer would've been in the net) and overall has had good shifts.

Looking better and better.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
Looking good so far indeed, Vatanen still can't find his wheelhouse on the PP though.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
yes, very solid period.

Really flew off the right wing and rang it off the cross bar, also finished that shift with a nice one timer.

The penalty was all him, brought it out thru traffic, but used that reach to manouever thru it.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It's going to be thrill waking up next morning just to read comments by the Leaf fan who was shipping Laine into AHL for the season start. :laugh:

Been the best Finnish forward against USA tonight. Glad I stayed up!

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
It's going to be thrill waking up next morning just to read comments by the Leaf fan who was shipping Laine into AHL for the season start. :laugh:

Been the best Finnish forward against USA tonight. Glad I stayed up!

Missed the game so it's always great to read comments like this.

Saw a gif of his snipe.....

B6284UcIcAA4M_Q.png

Edit:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad