LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016, 2nd, WPG) XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd assume for a big physical testing day they have their day laid out to maximize performance. I would doubt the routines of the players was drastically altered by what cohort they were with. It is a ridiculously reaching to believe Laine was negatively impacted by a full inch. The whole use of this theory I have never seen used in a draft thread or any combine over the years, and seems like a ridiculous defence mechanism to state why he wasn't as tall as claimed. Most NHL players actually have pretty ridiculous routines where they sleep very late at night, practice, and take naps during the day to be at peak performance for a certain time. They don't schedule their days like classic 9 to 5's which is what that study pertains to. So if they are willing to do stuff like this in the regular season, it wouldn't be a surprise if the players (and on the advice of agents and trainers) set their body clock to be at peak performance for what time they are going through the combine.

That's a hilarious premise. Maybe they hang upside down by their ankles. You don't think the teams actually know exactly how big the top prospects are before the combine.

Look, Laine is big. Period. He's got a great reach. His size is going to be an asset in the NHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's a hilarious premise. Maybe they hang upside down by their ankles. You don't think the teams actually know exactly how big the top prospects are before the combine.

Look, Laine is big. Period. He's got a great reach. His size is going to be an asset in the NHL.
How is that ridiculous, you don't think players carefully time out their combine to be at peak performance for their VO2 max test? I know he's big, I think its ridiculous that people started saying he was taller than his measurements the second he didn't measure 6'5. I obviously know he's big, I just find it riduclous a certain poster continually point to the fact he was measured in the afternoon and Matthews was measured in the morning, and that it made a significant difference.

Edit: And I don't think their schedules are times for the measurements, I believe it is done to be in peak performance for the drills. Considering how much practice (and money by agents for trainers) is put into training for combine tests, I believe most top picks would have fairly laid out plans for the day to be at peak performance for their co-hort, so I doubt he was standing around all day just waiting to start.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Guess that goes into category of believing the source then eh? Now I can't even begin to comprehend the fundamental reasoning behind your obsession about his height, but what I can do is read an recent article about him that states him being 6"5. Now there's no telling whether that is true or false, hence I asked you for other sources stating otherwise and didn't get one. I couldn't care less how a person looks like in the photos to be honest cause there are too many conceiving factors, and neither should you.

You don't get it. It's not his height I care about. At all. There is nothing to suggest that being 6 5 is better for hockey than 6 3.75. It is the fact that his height is just one of the
Many things that his fans have exaggerated. I read articles
And posts prior to the combine saying he had grown to 6 5. He had
Not at the time of the original claims. Despite a measuring tape. His fans made ridiculous claims that he was 6 5 posting pictures
To disprove a ruler?

This is just one of the many foolish things they have done to prove a point. Like 2 decided to post off angle still shots of a
Race and try to calculate his speed to one hundredths of a second. Some have
Created their own subjective scoring systems to prove his perfection.

It is not that his height matters. It doesn't. It's that his fans just make up math to prove whatever they want.

I'm willing to bet that he the article u read is quoting misinformation from old articles. Even if he grew. It's not about that. It's about how his fans buy into any and all hype. Math be damned.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
How is that ridiculous, you don't think players carefully time out their combine to be at peak performance for their VO2 max test? I know he's big, I think its ridiculous that people started saying he was taller than his measurements the second he didn't measure 6'5. I obviously know he's big, I just find it riduclous a certain poster continually point to the fact he was measured in the afternoon and Matthews was measured in the morning, and that it made a significant difference.

Edit: And I don't think their schedules are times for the measurements, I believe it is done to be in peak performance for the drills. Considering how much practice (and money by agents for trainers) is put into training for combine tests, I believe most top picks would have fairly laid out plans for the day to be at peak performance for their co-hort, so I doubt he was standing around all day just waiting to start.

Why this extensive need to argue his height?

What is it you want to prove, in regards to Laine, as an overall player, that pertains to his overall "true" height, that requires this length of argument?

For a Laine thread, there are a few that seem to want to steer this thread in a negative direction.

He is a a tall 18 year old kid that happens to be a hell of a hockey player, deal with it!

Last edited:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
You don't get it. It's not his height I care about. At all. There is nothing to suggest that being 6 5 is better for hockey than 6 3.75. It is the fact that his height is just one of the
Not at the time of the original claims. Despite a measuring tape. His fans made ridiculous claims that he was 6 5 posting pictures
To disprove a ruler?

Clearly this is a conspiracy that needs to be investigated by the league:

http://jets.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8479339

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why this extensive need to argue his height?

What is it you want to prove, in regards to Laine, as an overall player, that pertains to his overall "true" height, that requires this length of argument?

For a Laine thread, there are a few that seem to want to steer this thread in a negative direction.

He is a a tall 18 year old kid that happens to be a hell of a hockey player, deal with it!
Why do people need to say he's taller than he measured due to time of day. I've been more than complimentary to Laine in this thread. I just think its ridiculous a certain poster harps on that all the time, like Laine was put at a significant disadvantage by the time he was set to do his drill.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, I don't get the obsession with him being 6'5, either. He's tall enough. Just leave it at that.

Clearly this is a conspiracy that needs to be investigated by the league:

http://jets.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8479339

In fairness, it seems like the teams exaggerate the players' heights on their websites. The Hawks list Kane as being 5'11 and Keith as being 6'1 and I don't think either of them are their actual listed heights. I don't recall exactly what TBL used to list St. Louis as, but it was...generous.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why do people need to say he's taller than he measured due to time of day. I've been more than complimentary to Laine in this thread. I just think its ridiculous a certain poster harps on that all the time, like Laine was put at a significant disadvantage by the time he was set to do his drill.

Agreed. This is the problem. Who cares. Its that posters argue about how it was the time of day. Or how they can tell how fast he is using still shots and a stop watch. That's what's so dumb.

I don't care about his height it's how ridiculous his fans are.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, I don't get the obsession with him being 6'5, either. He's tall enough. Just leave it at that.

In fairness, it seems like the teams exaggerate the players' heights on their websites. The Hawks list Kane as being 5'11 and Keith as being 6'1 and I don't think either of them are their actual listed heights. I don't recall exactly what TBL used to list St. Louis as, but it was...generous.
Listed heights are always a joke. Last year at camp Marner was listed at 6', in the NBA teams consistently list guys heights with shoes on which is why Shaq who was actually a legit 7'1 in bare feet looked massive compared to other supposed 7 footers. Spurs also notoriously over listed Duncan at 7' his early years for twin towers promotions with Robinson, and Garnett purposely listed himself at 6'11 when he was 7'1. I used to regularly encounter Doug Gilmour, and he was definitely not his listed height. The combine is the closest we will get to accurate measurements for these players.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Listed heights are always a joke. Last year at camp Marner was listed at 6', in the NBA teams consistently list guys heights with shoes on which is why Shaq who was actually a legit 7'1 in bare feet looked massive compared to other supposed 7 footers.

So, like Matthews listed weight then, but in reverse. Got it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
A bit of struggles for Laine, but he'll be fine. Remember he grew up playing on the bigger ice, I said this earlier he'll have to admit to time and space being close off much quicker on NA ice and the more physical game.

Also, lets not forget, he's never played against a D core of the quality that SWE has. Those guys are all excellent players, this experience will all help Laine down the road. He's 18 years old.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
A bit of struggles for Laine, but he'll be fine. Remember he grew up playing on the bigger ice, I said this earlier he'll have to admit to time and space being close off much quicker on NA ice and the more physical game.

Also, lets not forget, he's never played against a D core of the quality that SWE has. Those guys are all excellent players, this experience will all help Laine down the road. He's 18 years old.

**adapt to time and space being closed off

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
So, like Matthews listed weight then, but in reverse. Got it.

The Leafs seem to be using Matthews height/weight as listed prior to the combine (I'm not sure where it came from...Zurich? USA Hockey?) His combine measurements were bigger than that - which makes sense if the listed measurements were taken from his Swiss team at the beginning of the season or from the world junior summer camp in 2015.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
To disprove a ruler?

This is just one of the many foolish things they have done to prove a point. Like 2 decided to post off angle still shots of a
Race and try to calculate his speed to one hundredths of a second. Some have
Created their own subjective scoring systems to prove his perfection.

It is not that his height matters. It doesn't. It's that his fans just make up math to prove whatever they want.

I'm willing to bet that he the article u read is quoting misinformation from old articles. Even if he grew. It's not about that. It's about how his fans buy into any and all hype. Math be damned.

In all fairness you are being overdramatic. The fact that you admit that the height issue (whether few inches make much difference) pretty much enforces that, and I agree, Laine being 6"3,75 or 6"5 isn't much of deal breaker when you look at him as a player. What is astonishing is this dramatic behaviour towards people who try to analyse pictures or even as you said, made their own "scoring system" or whatever. Since Laine has got nothing to do with your organisation I just find it curiously odd for someone to make a big deal out of it. If you don't like Laine, don't like his fans and definitely don't want him to become a better player than the person picked before him, it begs for the question what are you doing here in the begin with. There are Leafs posters who are able to (or atleast are trying to) encounter conversations here without being overly negative and without intent to try trash or discredit him. You should try keep an open mind and do the same.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Pretty sure it is 216, like measured at the combine. Might be slightly different, but weight tends to change much more than height.

Yeh but that was in the morning. If they weighed him in the afternoon, he would be 245 lbs

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeh but that was in the morning. If they weighed him in the afternoon, he would be 245 lbs

Not quite but people tend to be heavier during the day.

For me personally it's around 3-5lbs.

Anyway I don't think that your constant sarcastic remarks contribute a whole lot.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Not sure why people lie. Some enjoy it, some cannot help themselves and some actually believe their lies. Pick your favorite.

Lets judge his game, his skill, his abilities, with the assumumption he is tall.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
It seems I derailed this thread into madness, sorry about that. The bottom line of what I was saying before was that Laine is most likely 6'3.75" or 192,5cm for most of the day. In turn, he's likely 194cm out of bed and that is probably what the measurement on eliteprospects etc is based on, unless it's just a blatant fabrication. I personally think the 6'5 listing on nhl.com has some air in it, like a significant amount of other listings. My personal morning height is 182cm and my low at night is 180,5cm, I claim 181cm. I don't think height listings should be morning heights.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Another tough team tonight for Laine and Finland. Team USA. Atleast it is not Sweden. Team USA is as NA a team he will play. Looking fwd to it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It seems I derailed this thread into madness, sorry about that. The bottom line of what I was saying before was that Laine is most likely 6'3.75" or 192,5cm for most of the day. In turn, he's likely 194cm out of bed and that is probably what the measurement on eliteprospects etc is based on, unless it's just a blatant fabrication. I personally think the 6'5 listing on nhl.com has some air in it, like a significant amount of other listings. My personal morning height is 182cm and my low at night is 180,5cm, I claim 181cm. I don't think height listings should be morning heights.

The one thing we don't have to quibble on. Whether he is 6'3 3/4's, or 6'4, 6'4 and growing, or 6'5. Laine is tall and has already above average size given the average NHL player today is 6'1 201. Laine at 18 already projects into well above this, when you project he may add 1/2 - 1 inch of height and up to 15 - 20 lbs of filling out as a finished product. That would put him at roughly 6'5 220 when he is 20-21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad