LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, FEL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Why would they do that? Sedins were always playing together and are better together than separated. Laine and Puljujarvi doesn't play together even when they are on a same team. They have no proved chemistry.

What you talking about?.
Have you forgotten that, Laine and Puljujärvi played together same line with Aleksi Saarela in past U18 WJC's in Switzerland.

That line ( Laine Saarela Puljujärvi) was Finland's best scoring line, and without that line and their goals Finland would not have been in gold medal game.
( yeah yeah yeah Vehviläinen was phenomenal in net, and Saarijärvi was leading defenceman)

But truth is if Finland, would not have been Vehviläinen,Saarijärvi,Saarela,Laine and Puljujärvi in the team.
Finland would been outside of medals and medal games.

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Why would they do that? Sedins were always playing together and are better together than separated. Laine and Puljujarvi doesn't play together even when they are on a same team. They have no proved chemistry.

They do have chemistry but Laine sort of reduces Puljujärvi's sniper role making him into more of a playmaker (which is something Finland has more than enough of)

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
But truth is if Finland, would not have been Vehviläinen,Saarijärvi,Saarela,Laine and Puljujärvi in the team.
Finland would been outside of medals and medal games.

You just named the 4 best players and the main goalie, how much depth do you expect a team to have? Any team would be significantly worse if you remove their 4 best players + starter

You can play that game with any team: remove Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith and Crawford from last years Chicago... Now is that even close to a stanley cup contender?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You just named the 4 best players and the main goalie, how much depth do you expect a team to have? Any team would be significantly worse if you remove their 4 best players + starter

You can play that game with any team: remove Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith and Crawford from last years Chicago... Now is that even close to a stanley cup contender?

Yeah I think he took his point too far on that :laugh:
But there still atleast was a point.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Yeah I think he took his point too far on that :laugh:
But there still atleast was a point.

No, there was no legit point. It's like saying pens wouldn't have won the SC if they hadn't Crosby, Malkin and name two of best after them.

There's no point at all :shakehead: These tournaments are mostly about who has the best team.

If Bolt wasn't as fast runner, he wouldn't be as famous as now. If and if and if.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No, there was no legit point. It's like saying pens wouldn't have won the SC if they hadn't Crosby, Malkin and name two of best after them.

There's no point at all :shakehead: These tournaments are mostly about who has the best team.

If Bolt wasn't as fast runner, he wouldn't be as famous as now. If and if and if.

He said they have played together and were dangerous when the poster he replied to said they never play together.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
What you talking about?.
Have you forgotten that, Laine and Puljujärvi played together same line with Aleksi Saarela in past U18 WJC's in Switzerland.

I was talking about this past tournament, but I have to admit it looks like I was talking their whole careers.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
They do have chemistry but Laine sort of reduces Puljujärvi's sniper role making him into more of a playmaker (which is something Finland has more than enough of)

When good players are on the ice together it often looks like chemistry because their higher hockey IQ and skill level. But are you willing to pay extra as a NHL-manager to get Puljujärvi and Laine play in the same line. Is 1+1 more than 2?

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I haven't witnessed any significant benefit from having Laine and Pulju in the same line. In the U18 tournament it sometimes seemed like Pulju was the C who fed Laine and Saarela was kind of invisible, especially towards the end. I'm 100% sure they would have both found success even if they played on separate lines.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I haven't witnessed any significant benefit from having Laine and Pulju in the same line. In the U18 tournament it sometimes seemed like Pulju was the C who fed Laine and Saarela was kind of invisible, especially towards the end. I'm 100% sure they would have both found success even if they played on separate lines.

Will be interesting to see how our forward group looks like if we get our AHL guys to play.
Nice amount of Rw talent.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I wonder if a team can pull off what the canucks did with the sedins and draft both puljarvi and laine.

If the canucks keep falling and trade off hamhius, burrows, vrbata for picks. Land one with their draft spot and trade for the other.

Laine - Mccann - Puljarvi

I think that would be amazing.

That's nonsense! Laine and Puljujarvi are just two player, only bounds they have both are big and played for same country. Btw drafting twins was mostly because of promotion reasons.

Who is Mccann? never heard him..

Asidas

Jun 15, 2014
vancouver
That's nonsense! Laine and Puljujarvi are just two player, only bounds they have both are big and played for same country. Btw drafting twins was mostly because of promotion reasons.

Mccann is a 19 year old center who made the canucks.. tonight he's dressing for the canucks on the 2nd line. Started the season with 5 goals in 8 games playing 8 mins a night on the 4th line. Youll learn his name soon enough

Canucks are retooling alot like they did when they got the sedins. I know they are not twins and that they come from the same country. But it will be sold to the fans as if it's like a sedin 2.0 draft.
Fans have stopped going to games and ticket prices are dropping like crazy. $40 bucks for a pittsburgh game lower bowl. Thats how much i paid a scalper.

Just entertaining an idea. Thats all.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Laine has had couple of really strong games recently even though he haven't made it to the statistics.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

No its because they threatened not to come over unless they were on the same team, so it gave Burke room to maneuver, trading down from 1 to 2 was promotional (and to possibly make it look like they valued them equally).

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I think yesterday's game was one of his best this season even though he didn't find up in the score sheet. He was creating chances almost in every shift when being on the ice alone or using the line mates. The things he can do with the puck is going to draw more spectators into the their seats no doubt about it. Whoever said the guy will never learn to skate should take some patience classes. That end speed is just fun to watch.
Reminds me of Jagr a bit the way he carries himself on the ice. This kid is going to have a bright future ahead. Laine and Barkov will be skating Tampere (and Tappara) into the world map.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
Laine has had couple of really strong games recently even though he haven't made it to the statistics.

That shot, those hands and size. On top of that, he has improved his skating massively! Top-5 pick for sure.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I saw him play just as he returned from injury and looked a bit shaky, nice to see him playing with that kind of confidence now.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Have to say his skating isn't a point of concern anymore
What impresses me the most is Laine still had strength to go for those kind of plays. Because that was Laine's 7th game in 8 days, yes you heard me. He played 3 U20 games last weekend, then one CHL game and finally 3 Liiga games in last 4 days.

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
What impresses me the most is Laine still had strength to go for those kind of plays. Because that was Laine's 7th game in 8 days, yes you heard me. He played 3 U20 games last weekend, then one CHL game and finally 3 Liiga games in last 4 days.

Actually 7th game in nine days(Friday-Saturday), but that's still pretty darn much of hockey. Also 8th game in 11 days, since they played Luleå on last week's Wednesday as well. Although I have to say, that his style of play does conserve energy. He isn't usually the one chasing the puck when forechecking, but rather stays at the blueline ready for trap, and tries to pick the puck from corners with long stick when others are battling. One could see that as an area to improve, but for some reason I like to see a skater who doesn't just brainlessly run around like your average Finnish player.

One thing I'm concerned about is that he doesn't shoot as much as he used to. Yesterday he went to a between-the-legs deke and ended up in the corner, when he was in a good shooting position, and that shift ended with two good scoring chances for the opposing team. Netting one would do magic IMO.

But I'm happy he got some of that confidence back in the Four nations tournament, and it has been pretty much impossible for the opposing team to take the puck off his stick since then.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Nevermind a weakness, his skating is looking like a legit strength now. Seems like it'll be a real dogfight for the 2nd forward picked, as Puljujarvi, Laine and Tkachuk all look really strong, I can see them going in any order.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Pulju and Laine highlights are so entertaining. I'm offering FEL-tv package tomorrow, maybe even canceling KHL&NHL packages. I want to see these kids play on weekly basis before they're in NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad