LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, FEL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Oh man. Qnebo just said it. What a helluva team. And the WJC is soon here! I had forgotten. Now we are talking baby. :yo:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Laine got a secondary assist on Tappara's 1st goal tonight against Luleå in CHL. He hasn't shown his best yet after the injury but I guess 0+2 in 3 games is still solid for a 17 years old.

Last edited:

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Some Patrik Laine reports:

He had a very North American type of play, often crashing the net and playing more physical than the other players. He also showed some leadership in him as he could stand up for teammates and often did the dirty work in the gritty areas, plus that he never showed any signs of a bad body language. Because of his perfection in this game, carrying his team at this young age and at this level, I would definitely say that Laine is a top 10 lock in the upcoming draft, with the potential of becoming a top-5 pick. His game is very adjusted for the North American type of hockey and he will become an excellent NHL player in the future.â€

Full single-game report here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/from-the-notebook-october-2016/

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think by the end of the year. It will be a 3 horse race for 3rd overall between him, Tkachuk and Puljujarvi.

Have a feeling this WJHC will be a very good indicator to scouts/management as to who will go 3.

Consensus was Puljujarvi/Chychrun held down 2-3. But I think there will be atleast some competition for 3rd overall. (I think JC wont go later than 2)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think by the end of the year. It will be a 3 horse race for 3rd overall between him, Tkachuk and Puljujarvi.

Have a feeling this WJHC will be a very good indicator to scouts/management as to who will go 3.

Consensus was Puljujarvi/Chychrun held down 2-3. But I think there will be atleast some competition for 3rd overall. (I think JC wont go later than 2)

Tkachuk needs a big year, and great WJC performance to climb above either Laine or Puljujarvi really. The summer didn't change much in the rankings and before that BobMac said that there is a clear top-4 in this draft, with Tkachuk behind them at #5.

These rankings will change as the season progresses though. 3 of the top-4 picks as of now are playing against Men which is something that usually doesn't happen. How they do against players on their own age class at WJC should be a bigger indicator this year, as it has been in some other years.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

And i would say, that only matthews secured no.1 place (Even that's not 100%) But who goes next, depends on the team drafting.

I cant wait for u-20-games, and to see these guys.. (Hopefully Matthews is playing by that time.)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
And i would say, that only matthews secured no.1 place (Even that's not 100%) But who goes next, depends on the team drafting.

I cant wait for u-20-games, and to see these guys.. (Hopefully Matthews is playing by that time.)

Usually 1st overall pick, depends that what drafting team needs.
Of course, i could be wrong but l don't think so.

However Laine and Puljujärvi are both great prospects, and they'll go TOP4.
If Tkachuk wants, to go before Laine and Puljujärvi he must play really well in U20 WJC's and U18 WJC's.

There's not many NHL teams, which will pass Laine or Puljujärvi.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007

However Laine and Puljujärvi are both great prospects, and they'll go TOP4.
If Tkachuk wants, to go before Laine and Puljujärvi he must play really well in U20 WJC's and U18 WJC's.

There's not many NHL teams, which will pass Laine or Puljujärvi.

With 6" 3 -6" 4 and 210-230pound body you just have an advantage. Im looking at Jamie Benn and Blake Wheeler and thinking that maybe Pulju/Laine could be the same.

Once they fill their frame, it will be something pretty special.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
With 6" 3 -6" 4 and 210-230pound body you just have an advantage. Im looking at Jamie Benn and Blake Wheeler and thinking that maybe Pulju/Laine could be the same.

Once they fill their frame, it will be something pretty special.

At next summers, they'll need to be first at the gym, last at the gym. As long as they're still alive when the season starts. #FINHOCKEY looking like it could become overall better than it was at "peak". I'd say the "peak" so far was when Teemu, Koivu, Lehtinen were all at their best and backed up by prime Salo, Timonen, Numminen, with the great vets in Tikkanen, Kurri.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Wrong. Completely the opposite actually.

The higher you are drafting the more you look at the best player available and pure skill. Later rounds you may look for your organizations depth at different positions and draft what you need.

The margin between a top 5 and a top 10 player can be huge compared to the margin between a 3rd rounder and a 6th rounder for example. It would be foolish to take the lesser player early just because he plays a certain position.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Wrong. Completely the opposite actually.

The higher you are drafting the more you look at the best player available and pure skill. Later rounds you may look for your organizations depth at different positions and draft what you need.

The margin between a top 5 and a top 10 player can be huge compared to the margin between a 3rd rounder and a 6th rounder for example. It would be foolish to take the lesser player early just because he plays a certain position.

Jeff Marek mentioned this in his reddit AMA.

Q: My second question going into this draft year, is also regarding the evaluation of the players. Do you think that NHL teams value size as much as they used to (ie. Dylan Strome and Lawson Crouse) or are the trends beginning to change, and smaller, highly skilled players with high ceilings (ie. Mitch Marner or Mathew Barzal) may be higher drafted prospects? (If possible, a response more specific to the Toronto Maple Leafs.) Thank you for your time!

A: Size I think is still a factor but it seems as if there's more a trend now to draft more for position than 'best player available'. Just talked to Bob Murray on HC at Noon who essentially said as much.

I'm sure it is still all about BPA at the very top of the draft, but interesting nonetheless

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Also playing for ZSC Lions helps cos the weaker teams are easier to score against in NLA than in Liiga, but shhhh dont say that out loud there are actually Matthews fans who claim Liiga is not as good/less competitive despite Champions Hockey League results.

I've thought this same, apparently NA-people have no clue at all. You play team with full of pros against amateurs/semi-pros, then you score a lot :sarcasm:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
At next summers, they'll need to be first at the gym, last at the gym. As long as they're still alive when the season starts. #FINHOCKEY looking like it could become overall better than it was at "peak". I'd say the "peak" so far was when Teemu, Koivu, Lehtinen were all at their best and backed up by prime Salo, Timonen, Numminen, with the great vets in Tikkanen, Kurri.

I know you're trying to say they need to work hard, but longer length in the gym doesn't necessarily equal more muscle growth.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Don't consider myself much of a scout, but that's as NHL-ready of a shot as I've seen recently.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
I honestly wonder what has happened with Finnish prospects.. We used to have these tiny Teräväinen's and Granlund's just some years ago who are very skilled and then all of a sudden we have Barkov, Rantanen, Puljujärvi, Laine (also Armia but he looks more and more like a bust) who are all 6'3-6'4 + skilled. Before them we had some big prospects like Lauri Tukonen and Jesse Niinimäki but neither of them are anywhere near the talent level of the previously mentioned players.

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014
I honestly wonder what has happened with Finnish prospects.. We used to have these tiny Teräväinen's and Granlund's just some years ago who are very skilled and then all of a sudden we have Barkov, Rantanen, Puljujärvi, Laine (also Armia but he looks more and more like a bust) who are all 6'3-6'4 + skilled. Before them we had some big prospects like Lauri Tukonen and Jesse Niinimäki but neither of them are anywhere near the talent level of the previously mentioned players.

Yes. And don't forget the defencemen. Ristolainen 6'4, Juolevi 6'2.5, Määttä 6'2, Välimäki 6'2 and so on...

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

From what I read before it seems to be connected to priorities, amongst youngsters it was easier for smaller faster skaters to be prioritised over bigger and often clumsier ones

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

Finnish men are 5'11 tall on average so it was really weird that there were so many short guys. I think its just balancing right now and maybe they have changed something on the juniors training that encourages the taller players.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
From what I read before it seems to be connected to priorities, amongst youngsters it was easier for smaller faster skaters to be prioritised over bigger and often clumsier ones

Yeah, didn't take their time to develop bigger players who are very rarely good skaters in young age.

Asidas

Jun 15, 2014
vancouver
I wonder if a team can pull off what the canucks did with the sedins and draft both puljarvi and laine.

If the canucks keep falling and trade off hamhius, burrows, vrbata for picks. Land one with their draft spot and trade for the other.

Laine - Mccann - Puljarvi

I think that would be amazing.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
I wonder if a team can pull off what the canucks did with the sedins and draft both puljarvi and laine.

If the canucks keep falling and trade off hamhius, burrows, vrbata for picks. Land one with their draft spot and trade for the other.

Laine - Mccann - Puljarvi

I think that would be amazing.

Why would they do that? Sedins were always playing together and are better together than separated. Laine and Puljujarvi doesn't play together even when they are on a same team. They have no proved chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->