LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, FEL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=221667

Patrik Laine is 1998 born, very promising forward from Tampere, Finland.

He has a big frame, 6'3" with 200lbs (in 15 years of age), and good offensive abilities.

PPG phase at u18 league in season 2012-2013 (4 years underaged) 27gp: 17g 26p
He plays in Tappara's u20 and u18 teams this season, and has produced well offensively. I'm not quite sure of his actual stats of 2013-2014, but he has played multi-point games in u20 and u18 levels both.

On international level, he has been the star of Finnish u16 and u17 teams. (4+1 in one game on u16, hat trick in one game on u17 for example).

Other than that, I know nothing about the guy. Could Tappara fans or other fellows with better knowledge tell us more? I've heard rumors about him being "Joel Armia" -type of player with varying attitude for playing. For example, some times he creates flashy plays and wins the games by himself, other times he just surfs around the ice wanting to do nothing?

Along with Jesse Puljujärvi, this guy seems like first round caliber player in 1998's draft, is that so?

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
So far, Laine's Jr A stats are:
22gp 10g 5a 15 points 0.68 points per game.

He has also played some Jr B games,scoring at a much higher rate. From a numbers point of view, there aren't too many comparisons. I can only think of two players who played a similar number of games in Junior A at the same age: Aleksander Barkov and Jonatan Tanus. Both scored at a rate identical to Laine during the 2010-11 season. We know what happened with Barkov. Tanus was passed over in the last draft and is currently much less than a point-per-game in the OHL. Also, your thread title might be somewhat misleading, as Laine is nowhere near ready to play in the Liiga.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
Someone fixed the thread title, thanks for that.

But how potential is Laine compared to Puljujärvi for example? Both are 1998 born, big forwards with obvious offensive skills against much older competition.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Jesus. With that frame you cannot say anything for sure. Maybe he is just mature beyond his years; and obviously he is. His development may hit a plateau or slow down compared to his peers in upcoming years. These big kids - you cannot say anything about them except that they are good as of now for their age group; on the other hand, if you are small and skillful, you will be doubted even more. So, who the hell knows about these 15 yo kids? When they grow, if they grow, if they develop, when they develop, if they grow and lose their game or whatever... It's a crapshoot to predict anything unless you are some friggin' Barkov.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I saw him playing last season and thought he could become a really nice player in the future. Big, has good hands, and a heavy shot. Decent skater, too. He was one of the best players for Tappara U18 team. I thought he could work on his defensive commitment a little bit. But it was just a few games that I saw him playing.

Not sure whether he's a first round talent at this point, but certainly a talented player.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
All i know that this kid has tons of skill and knows how to score goals. Obviously he has huge size advantage at this point, but its not all because of the size. Laine has some big holes in his game but the potential is there.

Hard to tell, but the most important thing is that we have names like Laine, Saarela or Puljujärvi who most definately have the potential to be very, very good. Even if one of them pans out in Nhl, ill be excited.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
28games 16+7 in A-juniors. Very similar pace compared to Barkov and Saarela. Also Laine is tearing up in u-17 tournament in Canada (rubbish teams,but anyway), 5+2 in 3 games. This kid knows how to score goals. Overtaking Puljujärvi as the top prospect....?

Syan Ruter

Snusmumriken
Nov 8, 2012
28games 16+7 in A-juniors. Very similar pace compared to Barkov and Saarela. Also Laine is tearing up in u-17 tournament in Canada (rubbish teams,but anyway), 5+2 in 3 games. This kid knows how to score goals. Overtaking Puljujärvi as the top prospect....?

I'm a big preacher for Puljujärvi, but so far, they're both almost equal in everything. My god that year's draft will be amazing (fingers ****ing crossed!!!) :handclap:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Reads like a very good player, going to be interesting to see how he develops in the yrs. leading up to his draft.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Will see him today, has been dominating at the Macs in Calgary. Will let you know how he looks.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

Laine looks a lot like Armia in the video highlights I've seen. I don't understand what the hell this team's doing in that tournament though, they belong in the U17 World Hockey Challenge. They let Germany take part in that tournament but not Finland? Utter BS. :shakehead

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Huge frame, physical, heavy shot with quick release, great hands. Awesome goalscorer and very dangerous player in every shift. His potential is very very high. I like him more than Puljujärvi.

Petri1981

Dec 20, 2013
Will see him today, has been dominating at the Macs in Calgary. Will let you know how he looks.

Could you provide some information about Puljujärvi also? Both 15 year olds considered as the top prospects of Finland for the 2016 draft class.

Suurikelmi

Dec 3, 2012
Laine looks a lot like Armia in the video highlights I've seen. I don't understand what the hell this team's doing in that tournament though, they belong in the U17 World Hockey Challenge. They let Germany take part in that tournament but not Finland? Utter BS. :shakehead

Yeah, what the heck is going on with that? Finland was originally supposed to be in that but joined Mac's because that changed:
"That all changed when Kaskinen found out that Finland wouldn’t be competing at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Cape Breton, N.S. from Dec. 29 to Jan. 4.

“In the summer, we were still in and then we had information that we are out and we were like, ‘What the beeeeep’,” said Kaskinen, who chose his words carefully instead of cursing."
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...h+squad+looking+like+teams/9323618/story.html
(Some words about Laine in the article too)

Did Germany buy Finland's spot or what?

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Laine is obviously the star, but Olli Juolevi has quietly gathered the same amount of points as a defenseman. Both have 7 points after 3 games.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Yeah, what the heck is going on with that? Finland was originally supposed to be in that but joined Mac's because that changed:
"That all changed when Kaskinen found out that Finland wouldn’t be competing at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Cape Breton, N.S. from Dec. 29 to Jan. 4.

“In the summer, we were still in and then we had information that we are out and we were like, ‘What the beeeeep’,†said Kaskinen, who chose his words carefully instead of cursing."
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...h+squad+looking+like+teams/9323618/story.html
(Some words about Laine in the article too)

Did Germany buy Finland's spot or what?

The Swiss weren't allowed in the tournament either, so now they're both beating up inferior opponents in this tournament. It may have been better to simply play a series of games against the Swiss since they were seemingly the only worthy opponent currently available. The Czechs, Russians, Swedes and Americans are all in the proper tournament.

Laine and co. make these opponents look like midgets, but for the sake of his and the entire team's development they should play tougher opponents. You don't learn much from games like these.

Suurikelmi

Dec 3, 2012
Laine and co. make these opponents look like midgets, but for the sake of his and the entire team's development they should play tougher opponents. You don't learn much from games like these.

I'm guessing it will be quite the opposite but equally useless experience for Team Germany at the World Hockey Challenge.

e. Germany lost their first game 1-8 against Team Ontario.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
The Swiss weren't allowed in the tournament either, so now they're both beating up inferior opponents in this tournament. It may have been better to simply play a series of games against the Swiss since they were seemingly the only worthy opponent currently available. The Czechs, Russians, Swedes and Americans are all in the proper tournament.

Finland is for sure waaaaaay too good for this tournament. It's a joke that they aren't playing in the Under 17s.

On the other hand, I think there's a couple teams in this tournament that can hang with the Swiss. Namely, Notre Dame.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Well it's only the 2016 that is starting to seem like a good year for Finland. 2014 and 2015 might be kind of average in Finnish standards.

2015 had Saarela, Nattinen, and Rantanen. That's a decent draft right there.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Finland is for sure waaaaaay too good for this tournament. It's a joke that they aren't playing in the Under 17s.

On the other hand, I think there's a couple teams in this tournament that can hang with the Swiss. Namely, Notre Dame.

The Swiss weren't that great today. We're tied with Leduc 4-4. Won 5-4 (Leduc pulled goalie because they needed to win). But they will be solid. Hope its not a Switzerland-Finland final, that would be boring.

Link to Finnish stats: http://macstournament.ab.ca/team.aspx?lgid=0&did=3686&tid=38308&sid=2227&p=stats

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad