LW Oskar Lindblom - Brynas, SWE (2014, 138th, PHI)

SchennSational1022*

He's looking like a great pick in the 5th round. The Flyers 2014 draft is going to be their best in a very,very long time.

Saneheim
Aube-Kubel
Mark Friedman
Lindblom
Radel Fazleev

They all look like they could carve out a decent NHL career. Fazleev looks like a Marcus Krueger type player, steal in the 6th round.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He has developed so well since being drafted.

I mean, he was touted as a late 1st round pick heading into the 2013-14 season, but fell due to a so-so season in the J20 and concerns over his skating. (he was never a 'bad' skater but was pretty sluggish despite good balance and edge-work)

His skating has came on a lot since, and he really has virtually no holes to his game. Good shot, good passer, very defensively responsible, strong on the boards, relentless fore-checker, very good PP net front presence and pretty nice hands. And he plays both wings with ease.

Ofc his display at last years WJC was great, and he was good in the SHL last year... but he started this season on the Brynas 1st line while still eligible to be playing J20, and has not looked out of place at all. Of the 9 games he has played I would say he has been Brynas's best player in 2/3 of them... he has been unlucky not to get more points tbh... goal disallowed the other game as it was scored a mili-second after the end of the period, and Rodin and Scott have both had some gilt edged chances saved that Lindblom helped set up.

It would really not surprise me if he finished the year with 30+ points... every game he looks dangerous this year.

By my count all 16 U20 players who have put up over 25 points in and SHL season since 1990 have ended up as NHLer's...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
SHL players since 1990 to have 30+ point years as 'teenagers':

Peter Forsberg
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Markus Naslund
Johan Larsson
Patric Hornqvist
Marcus Kruger
Elias Lindholm

SHL players since 1990 to have 25-29 point years as 'teenagers':

Lars Eller
Magnus Paarjarvi
Michael Nylander
William Karlsson
Calle Jarnkrok
Joel Lundqvist
Nicklas Backstrom
Jonas Hoglund

Ofc not perfect... as some of these guys hit these numbers at age 18 or 18-19, instead of age 19 as Lindblom will if he hits them. Also it does not include guys who say started the season age 19 and turned 20 in January, so only the younger draft +2 guys are included.

But it is a pretty nice list all things considered. In fact you can take it down to 20+ and you still only get ~3 guys who never made the NHL out of ~30 guys (I only glanced down the list but this would seem close to correct)... generally those who never made it were guys who are tiny.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Pretty solid NHLers there. Could be a top 6 forward if he keeps progressing!

Anymore non-Flyers fans get a chance to see him?

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Continued the great season he is having so far with a beauty of a goal today:

VelvetyRedImperialeagle.gif

Alternative view:

SevereLongArmadillo.gif

Now has:

5g, 11a, 16p, +14 in 21 games.

Leads all U20 players in goals, assists, points, shots, TOI & +/-.

15th in SHL in assists.
24th in SHL in points.
7th in SHL in +/-.

30th in SHL in EV goals.
5th in SHL in EV assists.
9th in SHL in EV points.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
LW-Oskar Lindblom (2014-Flyers)

6"1, 192, selected in the 5th round #138th overall in the 2014 draft
Big LW with 18 points in 27 games in the SweHL

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
interesting to see how he plays at world juniors

Where would you say he goes in. A re-draft, 2nd round?

Last edited:

dropdeadjoey

Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
interesting to see how he plays at world juniors

Where would you say he goes in. A re-draft, 2nd round?

Sounds about right, he's going to be a middle-six guy for the Flyers. Watching the WJC pre-elimination game of Canada vs. Sweden, he looked very good. It's always the same compliments. Compete level, board work, nice hands.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Sounds about right, he's going to be a middle-six guy for the Flyers. Watching the WJC pre-elimination game of Canada vs. Sweden, he looked very good. It's always the same compliments. Compete level, board work, nice hands.

Yeh, he was rated a late 1st, early 2nd going into draft year, but fell due to concerns over his speed (he was always a fair 'skater' as his edgework and balance/lower body strength was always fine), and that he did not 'dominate' in the J20. But his speed has really improved (he will never be a 'burner' but you would not say his skating is something that needs proper 'work' any-more) and he can now beat people on chip and chase and in short burst speed battles.

I think in a re-draft he goes ~25-40.

His SHL production for his age means he is very, very likely to be an NHLer... get ~25+ points at that age in the SHL and you are an NHLer.

The great think with him as well is he is so well rounded... it would not be surprising to see him carve out a role as a 2nd liner (~45-50 points, PP net-front in a 'reverse Simmonds' role (as a lefty))... but also would not be surprising for him to carve out a role as a bottom sixer either.

Very smart player who does all the little things, you can probably count his 'mistakes' in his SHL career so far on one hand, and that would not be a great exaggeration.

He is already the guy who is the defensive minded winger, physical/net-front presence and board-work guy on the best line in the SHL.

Will be interesting do see how he does if he comes over to the AHL next season... I would expect a ~Kempe level impact (Kempe has better physical tools but I think Lindblom is a better defensive player and slightly 'smarter'.) and ~50 points.

dropdeadjoey

Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
Yeh, he was rated a late 1st, early 2nd going into draft year, but fell due to concerns over his speed (he was always a fair 'skater' as his edgework and balance/lower body strength was always fine), and that he did not 'dominate' in the J20. But his speed has really improved (he will never be a 'burner' but you would not say his skating is something that needs proper 'work' any-more) and he can now beat people on chip and chase and in short burst speed battles.

I think in a re-draft he goes ~25-40.

His SHL production for his age means he is very, very likely to be an NHLer... get ~25+ points at that age in the SHL and you are an NHLer.

The great think with him as well is he is so well rounded... it would not be surprising to see him carve out a role as a 2nd liner (~45-50 points, PP net-front in a 'reverse Simmonds' role (as a lefty))... but also would not be surprising for him to carve out a role as a bottom sixer either.

Very smart player who does all the little things, you can probably count his 'mistakes' in his SHL career so far on one hand, and that would not be a great exaggeration.

He is already the guy who is the defensive minded winger, physical/net-front presence and board-work guy on the best line in the SHL.

Will be interesting do see how he does if he comes over to the AHL next season... I would expect a ~Kempe level impact (Kempe has better physical tools but I think Lindblom is a better defensive player and slightly 'smarter'.) and ~50 points.

I think his upside is looking like a 2nd liner, which I think is realistic, he is well rounded and is really good along the boards. That is what impresses me the most about him.

Where I think he ends up is as a middle six guy who can step into the 2nd line role when necessary. Have you had the chance to see how he is in playoff games, or general high pressure games?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think his upside is looking like a 2nd liner, which I think is realistic, he is well rounded and is really good along the boards. That is what impresses me the most about him.

Where I think he ends up is as a middle six guy who can step into the 2nd line role when necessary. Have you had the chance to see how he is in playoff games, or general high pressure games?

Yeh, I would say 2nd line winger is his realistic upside as well.

He was great in the SHL play-in last season... probably one of Brynas's best ~3 players over the 3 games (while playing on the 3rd line). Also good in last years WJC. Though last years 1st round SHL playoff series proper he was not great... but tbh not many on Brynas played well, they were a worse team and overwhelmed a bit.

dropdeadjoey

Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
Yeh, I would say 2nd line winger is his realistic upside as well.

He was great in the SHL play-in last season... probably one of Brynas's best ~3 players over the 3 games (while playing on the 3rd line). Also good in last years WJC. Though last years 1st round SHL playoff series proper he was not great... but tbh not many on Brynas played well, they were a worse team and overwhelmed a bit.

Not to try and be a hype train or anything, but he seems like a guy who would do well in the playoffs, especially in the games where grit takes over from speed. I was impressed at last years World Juniors but I try not to put too much stock into WJC performances.

wanger16

Jun 16, 2006
Saw he signed an ATO with the Phantoms.Anyone know when he might get over and into some games.Hopefully soon....

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Off to a good start in the SHL, 3games 3 goals + 2 assists= 5 points +2

Should be in the NHL next year.

Edit: has an assist in the 1st period today.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Close to no doubt in my mind he will be in the NHL at some point next year.

10 games into the SHL season and he has been one of the best forwards in the league quite frankly... after being top scoring 'junior' player last season.

5g, 4a, 9p, +5 in 10gp...

But it is not just the production that is standing out. He is dominant on the boards, good on D and in probably ~8/10 games so far has created ~4 or so prime chances for himself or line-mates. His quietest game of the season so far was vs Växjö when he got an assist, was +1!

The games where he has been held pointless he has still created a few chances to get points. Next but last game vs Rögle was probably most dominant of SHL career physically and he created some awesome chances that would not go.

His sh% is going to come down, it is at 29% now... but his line-mates have missed some great set-ups from him, and most of his chances are high % given his style of play.

Would not surprise me to see him get ~40 points in full 52 games without heavy minutes (as his team roll all 4 lines probably a bit too evenly! Though they have an unreal group of wingers especially which makes it semi-understandable.).

Also must be in running for spot on Sweden Karjala Cup team for the EHT.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
14 points in 13 games.

Tied for 1st in SHL in scoring.

He's 20 years old.

And he has taken 1 minor penalty (despite spending his whole life battling on the boards and round the net) and has been on ice for the 2nd least EV goals against on his team.

His +8 in 7th in the league and he has the 2nd most 5v5 points too.

I cannot imagine he keeps up this level of play all year (simply due to how hard it is to produce like he is doing in the SHL)... but having watched 12/13 of his games he has been 'on' every single night. His production is no fluke... he helps create ~4 good chances every game. For example tonight he got 2 assists, but could have easily got another assist (cross crease pass hit Dmans skate... and evaded net and far post man) and a goal (had three shots).

For comparison there have been no players this century in the SHL who have finished the season at PPG at the same age or younger... Zetterberg was closest (1pt under PPG).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00