LW Nikita Gusev - SKA, KHL (2012, 202nd, TBL; traded to VGK)

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Pretty sure he's signed through 17-18 but I'm not sure if he's go an out-clause.
He's best friends with Kucherov and has practically stated that he wouldn't come over unless he's guaranteed an NHL roster spot.

It seems like he's more than earned that with his play this year and could give quite a boost to a lineup that is destined to lose a few players soon (through expansion and contracts over the next couple of years)

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
18+33, +30 in 38 games. He's probably the best prospect not in the NHL.

I see he has great stats but is that the result of playing with guys like Kovalchuk and Datsyuk or is it because he is a possession and line driver ? Guy that creates everything and stirs the drink?

EdwardTK

Jul 3, 2014
I see he has great stats but is that the result of playing with guys like Kovalchuk and Datsyuk or is it because he is a possession and line driver ? Guy that creates everything and stirs the drink?

He does not play with Datsjuk or Kovy. Gusev - Shipachyov - Dadonov and that line is insane. They all can score and make plays. One of most entertaining lines in hockey at the moment.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Doubt you'll see them all together, but I do think Kucherov and Gusev on a line together is a thing that will happen, which could be just as spectacular.

I think TB will try pretty hard to get this guy over. Especially when they're needing cheaper bodies in the lineup to provide some cost control.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
any chance at all he comes over this season and joins TB once his KHL season finishes? or is that completely out of the question

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
any chance at all he comes over this season and joins TB once his KHL season finishes? or is that completely out of the question

TB is selling. Why should he or Yzerman do this? He is a good option for a semi-rebuild starting next season though. After the trade deadline and expansion draft there is way more sense to find him a place on the roster, but for next season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
TB is selling. Why should he or Yzerman do this? He is a good option for a semi-rebuild starting next season though. After the trade deadline and expansion draft there is way more sense to find him a place on the roster, but for next season.

Well i was just wondering if Gusev wanted to come over this year... IMO if Gusev shows interest to come over like today, Yzerman has to sign him... Would be playing with fire if Yzerman told him NO to signing... Im sure Gusev would just say screw it and stay in KHL forever

EdwardTK

Jul 3, 2014
Gusev is under contract with SKA next season, so no he's not coming over next year.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Wonder if the Olympics will keep some guys at home next year.

But I think it will really be up to Tampa. If they can guarantee Gusev a spot, he will come.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta

Are they "selling"? They traded two guys who are going to UFA this summer, and can easily get Boyle back. They also are an elite team in this league, when healthy. So I don't see why he wouldn't want to come over.

And there is no "semi-rebuild", this teams window is open. They gotta figure out how to evaluate defenders better, but man, if they added Gusev to their forward core next season they'd be crazier good

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Gusev was drafted in 2012, why does anyone think at this point that he is EVER coming to the NHL?

a lot of players from 2012 draft haven't played in the NHL yet... some chose to sign and are still developing in the AHL and some choose to develop in other countries, and Gusev has felt playing in the KHL was his best option. Being a 7th round pick didn't make him a slam dunk to ever play so hes done the best he can elsewhere and it looks like its paying off

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Are they "selling"? They traded two guys who are going to UFA this summer, and can easily get Boyle back. They also are an elite team in this league, when healthy. So I don't see why he wouldn't want to come over.

And there is no "semi-rebuild", this teams window is open. They gotta figure out how to evaluate defenders better, but man, if they added Gusev to their forward core next season they'd be crazier good

That IS selling. They are not going to try and win it all this year. So why wasting a full year of an ELC on maybe 10 games played by Gusev? It's not like SKA is expected to lose soon.

A semi-rebuild is when you are not going to be a bottom dweller for 1+ seasons. It' when you retool getting rid of some to be UFAs and try getting some reinforcements for the nearest future, when you get younger. That' what TB is doing.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Gusev was drafted in 2012, why does anyone think at this point that he is EVER coming to the NHL?
Why not? He's just 24, just because he's waited his time, sharpened his skills and earned his money in the KHL doesn't mean he'll never come to the NHL :dunno:

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I think he'll be extended the opportunity. TB likely loses Killorn in the ED, freeing up a top 6 wing spot. I fully expect one of Johnson or Palat to be dealt as well, freeing up a second top 6 spot.

Cooper has been oddly cautious of playing rookies in big roles from the jump, but Gusev has a few years of "big league" experience. Should make him a bit more comfortable playing him in a top 6 role.

Palat-Stamkos-Drouin
Gusev-Point/FA/deal-Kucherov

That's a pretty highly skilled (albeit very small) top 6

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think he'll be extended the opportunity. TB likely loses Killorn in the ED, freeing up a top 6 wing spot. I fully expect one of Johnson or Palat to be dealt as well, freeing up a second top 6 spot.

Cooper has been oddly cautious of playing rookies in big roles from the jump, but Gusev has a few years of "big league" experience. Should make him a bit more comfortable playing him in a top 6 role.

Palat-Stamkos-Drouin
Gusev-Point/FA/deal-Kucherov

That's a pretty highly skilled (albeit very small) top 6

I'm not so certain of this anymore. I think Yzerman is trying to shed salary elsewhere and keep the band together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad