LW Nikita Gusev - SKA, KHL (2012, 202nd, TBL; traded to VGK)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, this guy is 19 years old and undrafted. He's gonna play WJC this year and there are some chances, will be good (33 points in 15 MHL games, tied for 1st with Apalkov, who played 21 games). Will he be able to be drafted next summer or his only chance to play in the NHL is through free agency?

Last edited:

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
Can't believe he went undrafted. He has sick, absolutely sick passing skills. This is not exaggeration by any means. His passing reminds me of Datsyuk's passing and perhaps a little of Crosby. He also can shoot pretty amazing for the guy of his size.

Grigo25*

Can't believe he went undrafted. He has sick, absolutely sick passing skills. This is not exaggeration by any means. His passing reminds me of Datsyuk's passing and perhaps a little of Crosby. He also can shoot pretty amazing for the guy of his size.

Russian + tiny + skating as the crow flies = not draft.

Fulcrum

Reminds me a bit of Samsonov, who is 5-8 and had/has a pretty good NHL career. Gusev is 5'9''.

I'm not here to hype him, but here are some facts for N.A. fans:

-Leading scorer in MHL this season (37pts, 17 gp)
-MVP of MHL play-offs (27pts, 16 gp)
-6pts in 4 games in the Finals with clutch goals in 3 of 4 games

Don't forget, most Russian players begin filling out later, in their early 20's.

He is having a hard time adjusting to KHL this year. But that's understandable, 99% of players do. Kuznetsov and Tarasenko also struggled in their time.

His skating may look a bit wierd, but he can fly. Check out his goal at 00:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxMuvcvyF6M

With the right development he could be a gem.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
This kid is a hell of a player. Also, I saw him before the SSS game in Ottawa, and his legs were the size of tree trunks.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There is not a reason why to move to NHL.. why should he? Kucherov and Gusev will be great in CSKA (and Grigorenko will come after 3-4 years)

Reactions: NLRAIDERS

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Reminds me a bit of Samsonov, who is 5-8 and had/has a pretty good NHL career. Gusev is 5'9''.

I'm not here to hype him, but here are some facts for N.A. fans:

-Leading scorer in MHL this season (37pts, 17 gp)
-MVP of MHL play-offs (27pts, 16 gp)
-6pts in 4 games in the Finals with clutch goals in 3 of 4 games

Don't forget, most Russian players begin filling out later, in their early 20's.

He is having a hard time adjusting to KHL this year. But that's understandable, 99% of players do. Kuznetsov and Tarasenko also struggled in their time.

His skating may look a bit wierd, but he can fly. Check out his goal at 00:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxMuvcvyF6M

With the right development he could be a gem.

Thanks for posting the video. Yet another Russian gem.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
His stats last year caught my eye, and I was interested in him as a late round pick.

He may be one of those players that some team picks as he gains more exposure against higher opposition.

pricey8

Nov 2, 2010
nikita gusev

kid has 9 points in the world juniors tied for lead in tournament with kuznetsov is he as good as his stats say or are they just high because he is playing with kuznetsov?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Forget about points, just watching the guy has been a treat.
I think he's a better player than Grigorenko and Yakupov at the moment.....although, obviously, his ceiling is nowhere as high.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Forget about points, just watching the guy has been a treat.
I think he's a better player than Grigorenko and Yakupov at the moment.....although, obviously, his ceiling is nowhere as high.

Completely agree. Enjoy him while we can. I get the feeling he'll be a star in the KHL, and we will only get to see him at the World Championships, Olympics.

His creativity, poise with the puck, and vision are just an absolute joy to watch.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Is he still draft eligible, just like Tanner Paerson for the Canadians?

Yes.

A team that does not mind drafting Russians (Tampa Bay, Detroit etc.) might take a gamble on him in the late rounds this year. I would not expect him to play in the NHL any time soon though, particularly now that CSKA have new, incredibly wealthy ownership.

VladNYC*

He's the most skilled player of the tourney. Doubt he plays in the NHL. Love to watch this guy. Incredible passing and vision.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Not counting the Latvia game how many points does he have?

How many points would Kuznetsov have without the Latvia game? Here's a hint: 0. And he is hyped to be the best prospect outside the NHL, together with Granlund (Huberdeau, Yakupov, Grigorenko etc.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad