LW Nikita Gusev - SKA, KHL (2012, 202nd, TBL; traded to VGK)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I understand why teams might not want Dadonov because he was already playing in the NHL and went back, but Shipachyov and Gusev both haven't even gotten a chance yet.

Shipachyov is much older and probably only has another year or two for someone to offer him a contract. I think someone should offer him a guaranteed spot. He could probably be a good 2C in the NHL right now. What's the worst that could happen? You give him 20 games at the beginning of a season, he's not good enough, and the two teams part ways. Would he really be asking for term and AAV? There are so many teams that have a team for players of his ability, I don't know why they wouldn't consider giving him a contract. I think he'd take a minimum contract.

Gusev might get a chance, but Tampa Bay seems to be completely ignoring how good he is. They are worried about all these Canadian prospects to fill spots, but they have a Russian player who's had a Panarin type of impact. I think the problem with Gusev is not that NHL teams won't have interest, but Stevie Y is thinking too much once again.

I should also say that I think Dadonov is much improved, and he's supposedly returning to NA after this season. I hope a team gives him a chance. I think he could be a good middle 6 player on a very cheap contract.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well Shipachyov said a number of times he isn't crazy about going to NA so that's the reason.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Gusev might get a chance, but Tampa Bay seems to be completely ignoring how good he is. They are worried about all these Canadian prospects to fill spots, but they have a Russian player who's had a Panarin type of impact. I think the problem with Gusev is not that NHL teams won't have interest, but Stevie Y is thinking too much once again..

Uh, what? He comes to Tampa's prospect summer camp every year. He decided to sign an extension in Russia, what does that have to do with Yzerman/Tampa?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Uh, what? He comes to Tampa's prospect summer camp every year. He decided to sign an extension in Russia, what does that have to do with Yzerman/Tampa?

So you think that he doesn't want to play in the NHL? I think Tampa Bay ignores how good he is. Offer the guy a guaranteed spot on the team when he wants it. He's that good. As has been said before, he's having a similar impact right now at a similar age to Panarin's time at SKA.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I can't offer links, but if I remember correct Yzerman said a summer or 2 ago that they are in contat with Gusev and want to sign him, but Gusev always stated he will only come, when he feels he is 100% ready for the NHL right away.

No matter what, just because (as usual with Bolts prospects) HF world is ignoring him, our management doesn't. If Yzerman could get him to sign, it would have already been done. We have his best friend on the team after all.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
I dont beleive his NHL SUccess. I think he is not Panarin because Panarin have much more will, character and obstinacy which gives him that success in league. Gusev havent. he has a skill but even against NA young teams he cant do something at juniors level because he was freezed by fear.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How do guys like Shipachev, Dadonov and Radulov, compare with Gusev?

Shipachyov: A much better hockey player, but he's significantly older. Signing Shipachyov would be like signing a veteran center in regular free agency who you know has talent to play in your top six, but there's no certainty that he'll be able to play that role for your team, not because of talent, but because its just so hard to predict how a player will adjust to NA from Russia.

Dadonov: Dadonov is probably slightly better than Gusev, and he's three years older. In terms of which I'd prefer over the longterm, probably Gusev, although Dadonov might give you more for next season. He plays more of a two way game and has played in NA before.

Radulov: The problem with Radulov is not his talent or doubting that he could play well in NA. He's done it before. A lot of people question if he'd be a locker room problem, and a problem off the ice. Out of all these players, he's the most talented and the one who's proven the most, but he has a locker room problem and off ice problem that the others haven't had.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I know very little about Gusev except that he used to play junior with Kucherov (perhaps Grigorenko?)

Late pick and fast forward, he seems to be doing well in the K (just by perusing stats). 16 points in 12games. Better ppg thus far than last year.

Anybody know if this guy is considered a legit prospect for TB?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know very little about Gusev except that he used to play junior with Kucherov (perhaps Grigorenko?)

Late pick and fast forward, he seems to be doing well in the K (just by perusing stats). 16 points in 12games. Better ppg thus far than last year.

He's a legit prospect but his value is probably low due to the uncertainty surrounding him coming over to North America.

I imagine TBL have the best chance and can use Kucherov as a recruiting tool.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Let's just put it like this: we're following Gusev like my dog is following me and my wife in the kitchen as we make dinner. The dog knows at some point she's going to get a little taste of it if she waits and behaves and we are biding our time hoping for the same result.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
He's signed for two more years. It wouldn't surprise me to see Tampa Bay buy out the rest of the contract if they can and bring him over after next year. TB is going to have some serious cap issues and, as we've seen in Chicago, keeping everyone is impossible.
Gusev is easily a top-6 talent and he'll come with a very nice price tag.
He wants a commitment that he'll play in the NHL right away.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

His strongest part is creativity, but he's a magician with the puck and a former figure skater (no joke here). But he's small and isn't tough at all.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Having watched him live in 2011 with CSKA he struck me as a goal suck.

Sitting out by the line.

Unless hes changed that he would get killed in the NHL in a hurry.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Nikita Gusev off to a torrid pace in the KHL. Has 24 points in 18 games - good for third in the KHL. This is with 5 less minutes of TOI /g than the current leader and 3.5 less minutes of TOI /g than the second player in the scoring race. Still property of the Lightning as 2012 7th Round pick. Can't wait for this kid to come over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad