LW Nikita Gusev - SKA, KHL (2012, 202nd, TBL; traded to VGK)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
They used to say the same things about Panarin, and he is, as far as I remember, on the NHL 2nd all-star team now.

Is every guy who does well in Russia going to be compared to Panarin? Not all undrafted short forwards end up as good as MSL.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I don't think there's any guarantee of that. First - question if he comes over. Second - question of how he adapts to the NHL. It's a much faster game than in Russia. It's much smaller ice. It's much more physical.

Not everyone who does well in the KHL can hack it in the NHL. I like the kid and thought he should've been given a shot, but he is getting overrated as hell around here. He's 25 years old and has never touched NHL ice.
Absolutely dominated WC. Looked much better than most players. And most were in the NHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Is every guy who does well in Russia going to be compared to Panarin? Not all undrafted short forwards end up as good as MSL.

I don't compare Mamin, Lyubimov, Plotnikov, Tikhonov, Kalinin, Telegin etc to Panarin.

Panarin's best year in the KHL: 62 points in 54 games in the regular, 20 points in 20 games in the playoffs.

Gusev's best year: 71 points in 57 games in the regular, 23 points in 18 games in the playoffs.

Why can't I compare him to Panarin?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Gusev has resigned with SKA until 2019, but apparently it won't mean that Vegas will lose his NHL rights after that because of lack of KHL/NHL transfer agreement. Won't be restricted to ELC money anymore though.

Reactions: Fixxer

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Don`t suppose there are any Gusev updates out there?

At a glance Gusev has about the same ppg as in previous years (about 1.25), second in KHL points. But it strikes me as interesting that nobody on his team is even close. 2nd leading scorer has a 0.75 PPG clip.

Hope we see him here this summer.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
As I understand it since his birthday falls just after July 1st, his UFA status is pushed to July 1, 2020. So tough decision for him on what kind of deal he accepts if he comes to NHL for 19/20 season. He is the best player outside NHL currently and could help any team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Don`t suppose there are any Gusev updates out there?

At a glance Gusev has about the same ppg as in previous years (about 1.25), second in KHL points. But it strikes me as interesting that nobody on his team is even close. 2nd leading scorer has a 0.75 PPG clip.

Hope we see him here this summer.

After the Shipachyov debacle I dout Gusev's interest in the VGK org.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
After the Shipachyov debacle I dout Gusev's interest in the VGK org.
Ship when talking about it a year after the fact:

"Listen, any hockey player who wants to go to the NHL, I advise you to go and try. My example is not revealing. In addition, I was not able to adapt there to some everyday moments. Perhaps another person will find these problems unimportant."

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

"Listen, any hockey player who wants to go to the NHL, I advise you to go and try. My example is not revealing. In addition, I was not able to adapt there to some everyday moments. Perhaps another person will find these problems unimportant."

I like this context.

When Gusev was with TB, the story was he wanted an NHL spot rather than to work his way up from Syracuse, and we just couldn't guarantee him anything. (<-- That sentence sounds negative, but it's not meant to be; Gusev has had a great career, and coming over would be a big risk, with no guarantees.) I'm not sure what the story is now. It wouldn't shock me if this is a player who never comes over, although, I must say, his style of player seems like it'll translate better now than at the time of his draft, or even at the time TB had him. Small, skilled players are all the rage.

I wish him luck. I think TB made a good trade, not so much with who we protected, but with the contract we shed (Garrison). But I've always been interested to see how Gusev would do in the NHL.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
How is Gusev’s skating? Remember Pronman saying it’s not very good for his size. Could be something that makes the transition difficult for him.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I really hope this guy signs, and soon. I want to see how he matches up in the NHL while still in his prime.
It sounds very likely that he will come over when the KHL season is over for him.

Igor Eronko(NHL.com/ru contributor, Sport-Express writer, NHL commentator at Eurosport), who knows Gusev, is pretty confident that it will happen. He's also talked with Gusev's first coach(who is in daily contact with Gusev) who thinks Gusev is coming over. Gusev's currently working on his English, and his wife speaks fluent English, so no language barrier stopping him.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How is Gusev’s skating? Remember Pronman saying it’s not very good for his size. Could be something that makes the transition difficult for him.
Do you think he could score that much if he had skating issues?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

That's what he tells the press. Who know what he tells Gusev in private. And that's before talking about Gusev making up his own mind just remembering how Shipachyov's trip unfolded.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It sounds very likely that he will come over when the KHL season is over for him.

Igor Eronko(NHL.com/ru contributor, Sport-Express writer, NHL commentator at Eurosport), who knows Gusev, is pretty confident that it will happen. He's also talked with Gusev's first coach(who is in daily contact with Gusev) who thinks Gusev is coming over. Gusev's currently working on his English, and his wife speaks fluent English, so no language barrier stopping him.
Eronko had Kovalchuk to the Rangers at 99% done last sommer. I don't think he is a 99% source.

I think in general Gusev is interested. It's more about VGK and GMGM than the general wish to go to the NHL next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad