LW Nick Ritchie (2014, 10th, ANA)

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Quite possibly the most underrated and least talked about prospect on this forum.

Ritchie is talked about plenty. The guy hasn't played an AHL game yet and was a bit underwhelming in the regular season of his 19 yo OhL season. I like the guy but so far he's done nothing that shouts special player. He hasn't hurt or helped his stock since being drafted, which is fine. This is his year to really prove something.

While the Nylander/Ehlers hype is excessive, those guys are clearly better prospects at this point. Which is understandable because they were drafted higher...but I mean look at what Ehlers did his last two years in the Chl and compare it to Ritchie...it's really not very close. Nylander has been extremely impressive at every level/tournament he's played at

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ritchie is talked about plenty. The guy hasn't played an AHL game yet and was a bit underwhelming in the regular season of his 19 yo OhL season. I like the guy but so far he's done nothing that shouts special player. He hasn't hurt or helped his stock since being drafted, which is fine. This is his year to really prove something.

While the Nylander/Ehlers hype is excessive, those guys are clearly better prospects at this point. Which is understandable because they were drafted higher...but I mean look at what Ehlers did his last two years in the Chl and compare it to Ritchie...it's really not very close. Nylander has been extremely impressive at every level/tournament he's played at

More likely they are high profile teams with big fan bases or more hfboard active fan bases, more fans more talk. Canadian team fan bases are generally larger and enjoy arguing with each other.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
More likely they are high profile teams with big fan bases or more hfboard active fan bases, more fans more talk. Canadian team fan bases are generally larger and enjoy arguing with each other.

I realize that but my point is it's not like Ritchie is outperforming those guys and just not getting talked about.

Those guys are better players at this point...the fact their fan bases over hype them doesn't change that

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I completely agree with AngelDuck

The upcoming season for Ritchie is where he can start to prove himself, not in juniors.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ritchie off to a very good pro start. 3 goals, 1 assist, 4 points in 3 games in the AHL.

I had him ranked 9th in the 2014 draft, just behind Ehlers and just a pick ahead of where Anaheim picked him.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Ritchie off to a very good pro start. 3 goals, 1 assist, 4 points in 3 games in the AHL.

I had him ranked 9th in the 2014 draft, just behind Ehlers and just a pick ahead of where Anaheim picked him.

This was my second pick at #6 for the Canucks after Ehlers. Benning decided to ditch all of Ehlers, Nylander and Ritchie for Virtanen. Lol.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This was my second pick at #6 for the Canucks after Ehlers. Benning decided to ditch all of Ehlers, Nylander and Ritchie for Virtanen. Lol.

There was a lively debate at the Leafs table when their pick came up. Either they were surprised Ehlers was still there or Ritchie was still available when they picked. Regardless both are doing well this year. Ritchie with 4 points in 2 games.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
There was a lively debate at the Leafs table when their pick came up. Either they were surprised Ehlers was still there or Ritchie was still available when they picked. Regardless both are doing well this year. Ritchie with 4 points in 2 games.

Perhaps I should clarify though.

I am sold on Ehlers because I have watched him extensively since he got to Halifax . He has unusual speed.

Even clowns like Grabner, Raymond and Maxim Afenigenov had jobs and still do because of their speed. I knew he would be an NHL player from that. He also has playmaking skill that both Maxim and Grabner lack but Raymond has .

However, unlike Raymond, Ehlers can stay on his skates when other players fart on him . He doesnt get blown back 20 feet when defensemen breath on him.

Ehlers has a GRIT and tenacity about him that reminds me of Pavel Bure of all players. Not that Ehlers is even remotely the same skill level but they do have those same attributes. Bure is my age so I spent my whole youth watching him in Vancouver .

It was my thought that if the Canucks didnt pick Ehlers, it wasnt because of Nylander who is virtually the same player, it was because they wanted the Alpha Male Ritchie / Virtanen style player instead.

Virtanen is faster but his hockey IQ is not at a 6th overall level. Ritchie is slower but is bigger and his hockey IQ is quite good. I preferred him.

Ducks got a steal at # 10 . He should have gone 8th

Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisaitl
DalColle
Ehlers
Nylander
Ritchie

Then add in Fleury and Virtanen where one sees fit after that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I am sold on Ehlers because I have watched him extensively since he got to Halifax . He has unusual speed.

Even clowns like Grabner, Raymond and Maxim Afenigenov had jobs and still do because of their speed. I knew he would be an NHL player from that. He also has playmaking skill that both Maxim and Grabner lack but Raymond has .

However, unlike Raymond, Ehlers can stay on his skates when other players fart on him . He doesnt get blown back 20 feet when defensemen breath on him.

Ehlers has a GRIT and tenacity about him that reminds me of Pavel Bure of all players. Not that Ehlers is even remotely the same skill level but they do have those same attributes. Bure is my age so I spent my whole youth watching him in Vancouver .

It was my thought that if the Canucks didnt pick Ehlers, it wasnt because of Nylander who is virtually the same player, it was because they wanted the Alpha Male Ritchie / Virtanen style player instead.

Virtanen is faster but his hockey IQ is not at a 6th overall level. Ritchie is slower but is bigger and his hockey IQ is quite good. I preferred him.

Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisaitl
DalColle
Ehlers
Nylander
Ritchie

I am sold on Ehlers also. Terrific talent.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisaitl
DalColle
Ehlers
Nylander
Ritchie

I think you forgot Larkin... ;)

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I think you forgot Larkin... ;)

No I didnt.

He wasnt in consideration for the top 10 at the draft. My thoughts are all at draft time.

Now, I take Larkin before Virt or Fleury for sure. Maybe others :)

However, I did forget Sam Bennett. Typo. oops.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I want to see what Ritchie will do in the first ''AHL weekend''. Starting tonight the Gulls have 3 games in 4 nights

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here is my top 10 from the 2014 draft.

1.Ekblad
2. Bennett
3. Reinhart
4. Draisaitl
5. Dal Colle
6. Fabbri
7. Ehlers
8. Fiala
9. Ritchie
10. Fleury

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=86855297&postcount=150

I would not say it was a slam dunk pick for Anaheim, I thought there were a lot of players 5-18 that were very good, quite a variety of choices that bought different talents to the table. If Ritchie continues his production in the AHL, even at a PPG pace. He may turn out to be one of the better picks in this draft. A lot of the 2014 draft class already contributing in the NHL, it's a good crop.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I would not say it was a slam dunk pick for Anaheim, I thought there were a lot of players 5-18 that were very good, quite a variety of choices that bought different talents to the table. If Ritchie continues his production in the AHL, even at a PPG pace. He may turn out to be one of the better picks in this draft. A lot of the 2014 draft class already contributing in the NHL, it's a good crop.

I'd agree with that. There's certainly some people that underestimate him, but they are getting fewer by the week, but overall, I can't be too angry when people leave him off their top-10 for now. There's a number of guys with great upside on the bubble of that top-10, so it shouldn't be taken as much of an insult. I'm optimistic about him playing himself into a fixture in that top-10, though. :)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Kudos to Anaheim for not recalling him yet seeing how they are struggling to score and how weak they are on LW.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Even I am surprised Ritchie is almost putting up a goal a game thus far at the AHL level. A power fwd that can score, priceless.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
He seems quite good at using his frame to box out defenders to keep his stick free for rebounds, redirects or shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad