LW Nick Ritchie (2014, 10th, ANA)

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Looked really good against the Canucks last night. Was throwing some big hits, was in all the right positions, picked himself up a goal, and shielded the puck well with that big size. Looked comfortable and has great hands for a big man.

Obviously this will come with time, but he needs to be a bit quicker in his decision making. Couple times there were some lay ups to teammates and he hesitated, which almost lead to it being picked off.

He's on a really good trajectory and Ducks fans should be pleased.

Good to hear. I picked him up in my fantasy league. He clearly has a lot of skill and a scoring touch, and he's a strong enough physical presence that they can be patient while he figures that out. The ducks seem to be giving him every chance to succeed playing with their big guns.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Not sure if he's still a prospect but how has Ritchie looked so far this year? Looks like he's playing with Getzlaf and Perry which is a good sign.
Honestly I have liked him this season and I was a sceptic of him.

He has still a long ways to go but he`s also only 20. This season I see him playing well without the puck. I want him to improve his decision making once he has it but first things first. Getz has also prised him already

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008

He has still a long ways to go but he`s also only 20. This season I see him playing well without the puck. I want him to improve his decision making once he has it but first things first. Getz has also prised him already

Looked good against the Canucks. Plays a good cycle game and uses his body well. Didn't see him do much that exciting but you can tell he's got good instincts. Wanted the Canucks to pick him but we're stuck with Virtanen who isn't developing that well.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

I think he should stick with that top line. Playing with two players like that could go a long way for his confidence especially if he starts producing. idk who else usually plays there, but that has to be the biggest/strongest top lines in the league. I was a big fan of Ritchie during the draft so its good to see him on the right path.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think he should stick with that top line. Playing with two players like that could go a long way for his confidence especially if he starts producing. idk who else usually plays there, but that has to be the biggest/strongest top lines in the league. I was a big fan of Ritchie during the draft so its good to see him on the right path.

Usually last seasons it was Patty Maroons spot, who, if a bit faster would be amazing fit there longterm with his power and playmaking near the net. Then last season skilled Rakell and gritty Perron both had a really good success there but Patty is traded now, Perron let go and Rakell is finally signed but still recovering from the injury.

Ritchie was seen as a good fit with G&P ever since the draft. Last year he was not ready yet but had to play due to the lack of depth on LW. This year he came in much better shape and is noticeably faster while yet still playing the heavy game and being great on the forecheck. He kind of like reinvented himself. I`d like to think he is still adjusting to the game speed now that he is faster and the production should come soon. But right now his job is to forecheck, play the body and create space for the twins which he is doing quite well. Like I said I wasn`t his biggest supporters after the draft and was a bit sceptic before he gets to the pro`s but so far I have really liked his game this season.
I imagine that RPG line certainly is hard to play against.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Usually last seasons it was Patty Maroons spot, who, if a bit faster would be amazing fit there longterm with his power and playmaking near the net. Then last season skilled Rakell and gritty Perron both had a really good success there but Patty is traded now, Perron let go and Rakell is finally signed but still recovering from the injury.

Ritchie was seen as a good fit with G&P ever since the draft. Last year he was not ready yet but had to play due to the lack of depth on LW. This year he came in much better shape and is noticeably faster while yet still playing the heavy game and being great on the forecheck. He kind of like reinvented himself. I`d like to think he is still adjusting to the game speed now that he is faster and the production should come soon. But right now his job is to forecheck, play the body and create space for the twins which he is doing quite well. Like I said I wasn`t his biggest supporters after the draft and was a bit sceptic before he gets to the pro`s but so far I have really liked his game this season.
I imagine that RPG line certainly is hard to play against.

Now that he can actually play the game at the right speed he can start developing his game for the NHL and see what does and doesn't work. That's the way I view the situation anyhow. He has pretty good chemistry with Getzlaf but next to none with Perry; they're constantly crashing into each other.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Now that he can actually play the game at the right speed he can start developing his game for the NHL and see what does and doesn't work. That's the way I view the situation anyhow. He has pretty good chemistry with Getzlaf but next to none with Perry; they're constantly crashing into each other.

Ritchie is just crashing into anybody :laugh: 9 hits tonight

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think we can close him out as a prospect now. He's with the Ducks to stick.

Scored the Game winning goal last night against the Leafs. His 8th of the year, which puts him ahead of comparable #8 and #9 picks Nylander and Ehlers.

He's a different type of player than those 2, but you can see his value as player. Plays a Heavy game, hits everything, and he has a scoring touch. The Ducks made a good pick for their type of team in 2014.

Mar 12, 2009

Scored the Game winning goal last night against the Leafs. His 8th of the year, which puts him ahead of comparable #8 and #9 picks Nylander and Ehlers.

He's a different type of player than those 2, but you can see his value as player. Plays a Heavy game, hits everything, and he has a scoring touch. The Ducks made a good pick for their type of team in 2014.

His development is looking ahead of picks #5,#6,#7 at the moment, which is more interesting in my eyes, especially since one of those guys was drafted in a somewhat comparable role (ie. strong, physical, size, heavy shot).

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA

If we're talking about the best in the range Ritchie was drafted, I'd still rather have Nylander or Ehlers (Nylander was the guy I'd originally wanted at the draft) but seeing Ritchie step forward (due in large part to his offseason training, which was very nice to see) like he has after a truly horrendous rookie season last year has been very nice. Guys like Nylander or Ehlers might have higher ceilings, but Ritchie's got a nice skill set himself. A good shot, good offensive instincts, and a dominating physical presence isn't a bad combination to work with, especially with our style of play. He's still a bit behind the play mentally at times and his playmaking skills aren't as good as someone even like Ondrej Kase, but for where he is right now, I'm very happy with the pick. Hopefully he continues to improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad