LW Maxime Comtois (2017, 50th, ANA)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He only made the team cause of the injuries. When some come back before his 9 games are up, he’s one of the first ones gone unless he shows a higher level of skating that I haven’t seen from him yet.
Like this?
:sarcasm:

He had the least ice time (albeit it doesn`t mean that much since the ice times were pretty even among forwards). He will probably be better off with another year in the Q (by the 9 game mark Ritchie might be signed maybe so he can slot in the Comtois current spot). But looks like this guy will gonna be good, may I remind he is still 19 until start of January so he is still eligible for WJCs.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Like this?
:sarcasm:

He had the least ice time (albeit it doesn`t mean that much since the ice times were pretty even among forwards). He will probably be better off with another year in the Q (by the 9 game mark Ritchie might be signed maybe so he can slot in the Comtois current spot). But looks like this guy will gonna be good, may I remind he is still 19 until start of January so he is still eligible for WJCs.

I don't think another year in the Q would be very beneficial to Comtois. AHL if it was allowed sure, but I doubt we see him play in another league but the NHL again. He's young but wingers with his skill set don't need as much seasoning as a comparable center. Just wait till this kid adds a couple lbs and confidence. Has the potential to be a legit 1st line talent.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
I don't think another year in the Q would be very beneficial to Comtois. AHL if it was allowed sure, but I doubt we see him play in another league but the NHL again. He's young but wingers with his skill set don't need as much seasoning as a comparable center. Just wait till this kid adds a couple lbs and confidence. Has the potential to be a legit 1st line talent.

I mean he's already 6'2 207lbs so I don't think he needs to worry about size. He looks NHL ready to me after watching his preseason and first game. I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around longer than Terry or Steel.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think it depends on where he's going to slot on a fully healthy Ducks team. If he's still going to get regular scoring line reps in the NHL, sure. But if he ends up skating 9 minutes a night on the 4th line with no special teams duties, going back to the Q might be better. In the Q he'll be a shoo-in for PP1 and 1st line assignments, helping him continue to refine his offensive instincts. Practicing with the NHL team is great, but it's no replacement for game experience in offensive situations.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He only made the team cause of the injuries. When some come back before his 9 games are up, he’s one of the first ones gone unless he shows a higher level of skating that I haven’t seen from him yet.
2 goals, both showed nhl level skating
/shrug

Reactions: lakai17

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I think it depends on where he's going to slot on a fully healthy Ducks team. If he's still going to get regular scoring line reps in the NHL, sure. But if he ends up skating 9 minutes a night on the 4th line with no special teams duties, going back to the Q might be better. In the Q he'll be a shoo-in for PP1 and 1st line assignments, helping him continue to refine his offensive instincts. Practicing with the NHL team is great, but it's no replacement for game experience in offensive situations.

He's already a more effective power forward than Ritchie, why wouldn't they keep him in Anaheim in a middle six power forward role? Put Ritchie on the 4th line or trade his rights to a team that doesn't yet realize he won't be an effective top 6 forward in the NHL....

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He's already a more effective power forward than Ritchie, why wouldn't they keep him in Anaheim in a middle six power forward role? Put Ritchie on the 4th line or trade his rights to a team that doesn't yet realize he won't be an effective top 6 forward in the NHL....

Great point. It's early but Comtois' early performance is showing why it can sometimes be dangerous to hold out. Ritchie not being there, basically handed Comtois the spot, a spot he might not even have had if Ritchie was there in camp. Again it's early, but I'd rather have Comtois in my middle 6 than Ritchie.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They're missing a lot more than Ritchie right now. The Ducks also have Perry, Kesler, Kase, and Eaves on IR right now. Comtois is easily outplaying what most of those guys would be doing right now, but what happens after his first slump of the season? It's a pretty unambiguous fact that once the Ducks get healthy, it will be a lot harder for a lot of players to hang onto their ice time. It's not a unique issue for Comtois, but it's definitely something worth considering.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't see it. Comtois is like half a foot taller and really doesn't play a similar style at all from what I've seen.

He reminds me of a young Brandon Saad in terms of style. Similar trajectory to this point too.
I think either Brandon Saad or Andrew Ladd (before he got washed up) is a good comparison

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Was this guy drafted with a pick from the Andersen deal?

Ducks are great drafting and developing team but they seem to hit even more on picks that originally belonged to the leafs.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Was this guy drafted with a pick from the Andersen deal?

Ducks are great drafting and developing team but they seem to hit even more on picks that originally belonged to the leafs.
No, but that pick was Sam Steel (I’m 99% sure). Another awesome pick who by all accounts has already looked really promising as Anaheim’s 2C/3C (depending who you ask), despite not putting up any points just yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad