LW Maxime Comtois (2017, 50th, ANA)

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Can the Ducks trade all their picks to Toronto for future considerations and then Toronto can just trade them back at the end of the season... maybe let them swap picks in the later rounds since they'll finish better? Toronto just needs to own the pick at some point for the Ducks to get a good player...

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
That stat about Leafs picks is mind-boggling :laugh: at least we can say the Andersen one was a win-win, the rest, not so much...

I'm happy to see Comtois getting a solid start to his pro career, I thought he'd be a top 5 pick going into his draft year. How does he realistically project long term?

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm happy to see Comtois getting a solid start to his pro career, I thought he'd be a top 5 pick going into his draft year. How does he realistically project long term?
We`ll see but he is just so much surprisingly ready I`m not even so sure we`ll gonna send him back. Last night was the first game he didn`t record a point but he was still creating. He`s averanging 15+ minutes, leads the team in hits and goals, tied 2nd on blocked shots by forwards. Obviously it`s a small sample size for these stats to be taken fully serious but the dude can play. If all goes well going forward, I don`t think a constant 30 goal scorer is out of the question at all. If he stays up this year, I think he can score 15 or even 20.

He still needs (and will) improve his skating and strenght but he is smart, big, not affraid to get his nose dirty and he can shoot the puck well.

Reactions: kk87

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That stat about Leafs picks is mind-boggling :laugh: at least we can say the Andersen one was a win-win, the rest, not so much...

Its crazy to think we turned biggs pick into Rakell and Gibson, then having Gibson allowed us to turn Andersen into Steel + Comtois. As for Andersen, worked out amazing for us... still have a top 3 goalie in the league, and picked up 2 potential top 6 forwards.

Comtois is a bit hard to read, people questioned his skating/creativity as part of the reason he fell but hes honestly been an impressive skater and seems to have a lot of creative offensive talent... not to mention he is pretty dependable in his own end, and a good forechecker. From what ive seen so far, I could see him becoming a top line Winger.... but easily should become a top 6 guy. As far as points, consistent 20 goal guy.. maybe some 30 goal campaigns sprinked in there... 50-65 point range + what he brings physically. For a 50th overall pick hes looking like a Gem.

Steel the skill is obvious... I think its a matter of finding the right line mates.. and gaining some muscle/weight... I think he could still work on his skating as hes relatively average skater for his size.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Comtois led all Ducks forwards in playing time last night. Even with a fight.
Yeah he`s been impressing, also has 2+4=6p in 7 games. That means after the weekends back to back in Vegas and at home vs Buffalo is when the decision has to be made. He is averaging 15:44 mins a game and just keeps on producing.

With Ritchie coming back, as well as Getzy, and it is reported that Eaves might be close, Kase, Silfverberg, Rowney are all skating, we`ll see what will gonna happen. It is clear that in a healthy roster he will have a hard time to keep that TOI up that high but can`t argue with the production like that. I wouldn`t be mad if he`s sent down, but I think there is a very high probability that he will stay up (also because Terry, Steel and Lundestrom albeit look good but clearly need some more time in lower levels)

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Yeah he`s been impressing, also has 2+4=6p in 7 games. That means after the weekends back to back in Vegas and at home vs Buffalo is when the decision has to be made. He is averaging 15:44 mins a game and just keeps on producing.

With Ritchie coming back, as well as Getzy, and it is reported that Eaves might be close, Kase, Silfverberg, Rowney are all skating, we`ll see what will gonna happen. It is clear that in a healthy roster he will have a hard time to keep that TOI up that high but can`t argue with the production like that. I wouldn`t be mad if he`s sent down, but I think there is a very high probability that he will stay up (also because Terry, Steel and Lundestrom albeit look good but clearly need some more time in lower levels)
I suspect we'll see one of the bottom end forwards on waivers around then.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Never understood why he was drafted so late. What were some reasons he was drafted late 2nd? His projected ranking was late 1st, early 2nd.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Never understood why he was drafted so late. What were some reasons he was drafted late 2nd? His projected ranking was late 1st, early 2nd.
Because he was almost PPG as a 16 yo and then in his draft year it fell below 0.8 for whatever reason and teams just thought they had better options with higher picks. Not sure what was bothering Comtois in his draft year but he came back with a solid season with almost 1.6 PPG and a great WJC showing as one of the youngest guys on the team.
And now he might not be going back to Q ever. Ducks got lucky for sure.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I wanted him over Marcus Davidsson at pick 37. I noticed him quite a bit last night as he was constantly playing the body and got in the faces of Ristolainen and McCabe. I love his style of game.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Are you saying that Gibson being a top 3 goalie is a hot take? I really don't see how anyone could debate the notion.

The Ducks play after his bedtime maybe?

Anyone who has seen the Ducks play this year know that Gibson has carried them.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Real question, have you seen any Ducks games this year?
How many did you watch last season?
Yeah, not many. But enough to know that Gibson isn’t an undebatable top-3 goalie.

Edit: There’s no undebatable top-3 goalie in the league, IMO. There’s a lot of good ones with very little room in between

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Are you serious? Take off the homer glasses.

Best career SV% of any goalie of all time who has played 100+ games. Top 3 statistically over the past 3 seasons. Currently top 5 in SV% despite playing behind a team with a shot differential rate that would land them as the third worst of all time over a full season.

Last year only Rinne was on his level and so far this year no one is. If you're ranking the league's goalies, Gibson has the strongest case to be #1 right now.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Yeah, not many. But enough to know that Gibson isn’t an undebatable top-3 goalie.

Edit: There’s no undebatable top-3 goalie in the league, IMO. There’s a lot of good ones with very little room in between

Okay. Obvious hyperbole saying it is not debatable, but I think it is crazier to say he is a homer for thinking Gibson is.

Anyways, not a thread about Gibson.

It's crazy to me that skating was viewed as a major weakness for Comtois that would hold him back. I feel like it is a strength considering his size.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad