LW Josh Leivo (2011, 86th, TOR)

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Sounds simialr to Mark Stone.

Stone has much better vision and hockey sense. They both have similar qualities about how they control the puck.

That's nice to hear. Thanks for the mini scouting report.

I also hear he is a good two way player. IIRC he was runner up in the OHL coaches poll for best two-way forward last year?

He's definitely a good two-way player. He drives the net with authority and also has great hands on top of everything that I mentioned.

He finished third in the best two-way way player and the most underrated player.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
He's definitely a good two-way player. He drives the net with authority and also has great hands on top of everything that I mentioned.

He finished third in the best two-way way player and the most underrated player.

Is there a link available to this poll and the other questions that were asked?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Bump

Looking for an update on his progress. Anyone watch him regularly?

Lots of skill. Sick hands. Great, sneaky forechecker and back-checker who steals pucks more than most players I've seen. Needs to work on his shot a bit as it's very inconsistent and he's sometimes a bit slow to get it off. But has great vision and makes lots of crafty dishes.

He came to Kitchener like a house on fire and could dominate at times. But under Spott's "system" he quickly lost steam and fell into some lazy habits and the type of inconsistency that plagues Spott's players.

I think the Leafs have a good one though.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Lots of skill. Sick hands. Great, sneaky forechecker and back-checker who steals pucks more than most players I've seen. Needs to work on his shot a bit as it's very inconsistent and he's sometimes a bit slow to get it off. But has great vision and makes lots of crafty dishes.

He came to Kitchener like a house on fire and could dominate at times. But under Spott's "system" he quickly lost steam and fell into some lazy habits and the type of inconsistency that plagues Spott's players.

I think the Leafs have a good one though.

It was odd, sometimes with the rangers I thought he would look fantastic, then others not anything like the wolves player.

Not a fan of Spott, so I agree it likely has to do to a degree with him. Leivo has a nice shot too, but agreed could work on getting it off. I mean, pretty clear for example a guy like Peumpel is a better shooter, but the actual quality of the shot itself I dont think is that much different. Placement / accuracy in favour for peumpel however.

Leafsrule14*

LW Josh Leivo - Toronto Marlies, AHL (2011, 86th overall Toronto Maple Leafs)

What do you think his potential is?

This is his first season with the Marlies and he currently has 18 goals and 18 assists in 53 games. Only 20 years old turning 21.

My Opinion:
I think he can be a 2nd liner 30-30 guy, thats at least what Im hoping for. I think he can be a better version of Joffrey Lupul.

Hopefully we can slowly develop and work him into the lineup starting him on the 3rd line and making him earn the 2nd line spot.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

This is his first season with the Marlies and he currently has 18 goals and 18 assists in 53 games. Only 20 years old turning 21.

My Opinion:
I think he can be a 2nd liner 30-30 guy, thats at least what Im hoping for. I think he can be a better version of Joffrey Lupul.

Hopefully we can slowly develop and work him into the lineup starting him on the 3rd line and making him earn the 2nd line spot.

Well 20-30 is a poor season for lupul.

Unless your hoping for a defensive stalwart, 20-30 guy.

If that were the case though, you wouldn't be comparing him to Joffrey lupul.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
The Lupul comparison has been banded about but the kid is a different kind of player. For a 3rd rounder, his game has translated well to the pros & he has outshone higher picks from earlier years. He has been on an upward trajectory ever since he has been drafted, has a familiarity w/ Spott having played for him post Sudbury Wolves.

Personally, I think he has all the tools to be much grittier 2-way winger w/ offensive upside. Perhaps not as much offence as Lupul who is def not a 2-way forward but I'm cool w/ that.

Leafs would do well to keep him w/ the Marlies for awhile so that when he comes up he's READY, whenever that is.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
20 goals 50 point two way forward is what I think Leivo has a chance to become. I really like him and he has some great hands.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
I remember when he was drafted the Leafs brass were naming him a steal. One scout I know (OHL scout) told me he thinks Josh Leivo plays like Lupul but he's better along the boards and needs to get stronger.

He also told me that Leivo's draft year he was playing through some personal stuff for the first quarter/half of the season and adjusting to the league. If you look at his production by month that season his stats were impressive as they grew each month.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

My Opinion:

I see him as a future 2nd liner

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

My Opinion:

That is what JVR is. He won't be as good as JVR. 20-20 guy.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
every marlies game iv watched this season leivo has looked like the best player on the ice, he'll be a solid two way top six winger.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The thing that stands out most about Leivo is his release, he gets it off real quick and he can find the corners. Hes also very good at protecting the puck along the wall and hes a net front presence with quick hands in tight.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013

JVR is still 24. Dumb to say that is his ceiling, and it's also dumb to say Leivo will be a 20-20 guy as if all 3rd rounders must have worse careers than 1st rounders.

Bluejaysfan*

That is what JVR is now, he still has more potential. He was on pace for 70 points this year before the Leafs lost 8 in a row. I think Leivo can be a 50-60 point winger in the NHL, I think JVR can be a 70-80 point winger in the NHL. Their potential isn't close to one another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad