LW Josh Leivo (2011, 86th, TOR)

Hamilton35

Jan 21, 2009
From what I saw of the series, prototypical power forward. His big body allowed Sgarbossa and Kuchin to have space and time. He was more effective than Foligno in the series.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Tough to say, could be a flash in the pan. He has been really good the past 3 months. From the series, looked like a top 60 pick.

That line of Sgarbossa, Kuchin, and Leivo was just fantastic in the first round, and was really good in those final months of the season.

Leivo is a really interesting player. Truthfully, I'm not entirely sure he's a flash in the pan. He was a standout at Wolves camp this year and was solid in the preseason. But he got lost in the shuffle during the opening months of the regular season. Limited ice time and the team's poor performance definitely seemed to prevent him from doing a whole heck of a lot on a consistent basis.

Leivo is definitely a pretty solid all around player. Good size, good skater. Excellent on the forecheck and does all the little things on the ice (including playing the PK). As the confidence increased towards the later part of the season, he started to take the puck hard to the net and looks like a quality pro prospect.

Someone will get themselves a nice steal in the mid rounds with Leivo...although if he continues to play well in these playoffs, his draft status could REALLY rise.

Polansky

Apr 5, 2007
That line of Sgarbossa, Kuchin, and Leivo was just fantastic in the first round, and was really good in those final months of the season.

Leivo is a really interesting player. Truthfully, I'm not entirely sure he's a flash in the pan. He was a standout at Wolves camp this year and was solid in the preseason. But he got lost in the shuffle during the opening months of the regular season. Limited ice time and the team's poor performance definitely seemed to prevent him from doing a whole heck of a lot on a consistent basis.

Leivo is definitely a pretty solid all around player. Good size, good skater. Excellent on the forecheck and does all the little things on the ice (including playing the PK). As the confidence increased towards the later part of the season, he started to take the puck hard to the net and looks like a quality pro prospect.

Someone will get themselves a nice steal in the mid rounds with Leivo...although if he continues to play well in these playoffs, his draft status could REALLY rise.

Lol, I love when clueless posters call players steals three months BEFORE the draft. Oh HF..

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

Definitely agree on this Brock. Leivo did a complete 180 from the start of the year where he was found among the worst +/-'s in the, his defensive effort is top notch now. Offensively he's good along the boards, has great hands and works real hard and wins lots of battles. I definitely think due to limited exposure someone is going to get a great pick in him.

Go_Krusty

Feb 6, 2004
Lol, I love when clueless posters call players steals three months BEFORE the draft. Oh HF..

As someone who has been around these boards for a long time, I can confidently say that Brock would be a STEAL if he wasn't drafted in the first round of HF posters. And certainly first overall for all things OHL.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Bump. Anybody familiar with the Wolves know what the forward situation will look like next year in relation to Leivo? Will he see time with the top two lines, do the Wolves have any older players leaving that will open up spots...? Cheers.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Assuming Andrei Kuchin returns Leivo will likely return to the top line with Kuchin and Sgarbossa.

Lier X Agerate

Avs and Wolves
Oct 7, 2008
Kuch probably won't be back, he's a FGN and an OVR, so not too many teams would burn two spots on one player.

Leivo will play top line with Sgarbossa again I'm sure.

Lines will look something like:

Campagna - Sgarbossa - Leivo
(Draftee) - Jambrosich - MacDonald
Silk - Kontos (ugh) - xxx
Pancel - Shutt - xxx

(drawing blanks on some of the fwds)

Gone are O'Dell, Foligno, probably Kuchin, and Mike Lomas.

4/6 of their top 6 are gone.

I know they took a LW in the 1st round. I have a feeling one of Campagna or Jambrosich will shift to LW as well, and it'll probably be Campagna. His game is better suited for the wing, as Jambrosich is a bit more defensively oriented, a better skater and an ace in the faceoff dot, whereas Campagna is more offensively oriented, loves to carry the puck and can make some nifty plays from time to time.

TL;DR,

He'll be on the 1st line with Sgarbossa.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Duchene... how much offensive upside do you think Leivo has?

I've heard he's very talented offensively.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Kuch probably won't be back, he's a FGN and an OVR, so not too many teams would burn two spots on one player.

Leivo will play top line with Sgarbossa again I'm sure.

Lines will look something like:

Campagna - Sgarbossa - Leivo
(Draftee) - Jambrosich - MacDonald
Silk - Kontos (ugh) - xxx
Pancel - Shutt - xxx

(drawing blanks on some of the fwds)

Gone are O'Dell, Foligno, probably Kuchin, and Mike Lomas.

4/6 of their top 6 are gone.

I know they took a LW in the 1st round. I have a feeling one of Campagna or Jambrosich will shift to LW as well, and it'll probably be Campagna. His game is better suited for the wing, as Jambrosich is a bit more defensively oriented, a better skater and an ace in the faceoff dot, whereas Campagna is more offensively oriented, loves to carry the puck and can make some nifty plays from time to time.

TL;DR,

He'll be on the 1st line with Sgarbossa.
Cheers.

Lier X Agerate

Avs and Wolves
Oct 7, 2008
It depends on what role he's in. If Leivo is with Sgarbossa, he takes on a heavy offensive role, with McFadden and Dodero as the dmen feeding them passes. He'll drive the net hard when he's on his game, taking some wicked shots and making great, smart passes while dominating the low boards.

I can see him cracking 70 pts next year if he plays with Sgarbossa, with his NHL upside being about 50 pts. 20-30 guy that can muck it up in the corners.

The Wolves top 6 looks a tad weak right now, but if Leivo is playing with Campagna/Jambrosich (skilled, fast paced players) and Sgarbossa (flashy, great playmaker with nifty hands), he'll be able to open up a lot of ice for them to dominate. If someone keys in on shutting down Sgarbossa, expect Leivo to snap a few goals in that game. With any amount of open space, he'll take the puck right to the net.

There were a few times last year where I was unimpressed with his play (mostly at the beginning of the year) but near the end of the season he was making great strides in his game.

Leafsfan64

Nov 20, 2010
I'd love some insight on this guy,

What kind of game does he play?
Hows his defense? Physicality? Speed?

Stats look pretty impressive:

6G, 13A for 19 points in his last 12 games
13G, 22A for 35 points in his last 25....

Thoughts?

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
I'd love some insight on this guy,

What kind of game does he play?
Hows his defense? Physicality? Speed?

Stats look pretty impressive:

6G, 13A for 19 points in his last 12 games
13G, 22A for 35 points in his last 25....

Thoughts?

Sorry, I'm no expert but...

I know when the Leafs Scout Dave Morrison took him last year, he called it a projection pick.

Also that Leivo was very much in the power forward mold who had really come on strong at the end of last season. He also said that it was the type of pick the Leafs would not have been able to make were it not for the 'new-found' organisational depth - ie) high risk/high ceiling.

Sounds like an enticing prospect!

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Leafs management felt that he had as much upside as most players in the draft ... and he sure is showing it ...

playing some GREAT hockey lately ... he's been on absolute FIRE

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Bump: Leivo sure looks like an intriguing pick around 1.3 years after he was drafted. He just won the OHL player of the week honours with 6 goals in 3 games. He is Sudbury's go-to offensive threat.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Leivo is such a good goal scorer. He knows exactly where to go and how to put the puck in the back of the net. He's not the fastest skater, but he's very strong on his skates. Leivo is one of the best in the OHL at protecting the puck. He's a very fun player to watch just because of his strength and his mentality with the puck.

member 147413

Leivo is such a good goal scorer. He knows exactly where to go and how to put the puck in the back of the net. He's not the fastest skater, but he's very strong on his skates. Leivo is one of the best in the OHL at protecting the puck. He's a very fun player to watch just because of his strength and his mentality with the puck.

Sounds similar to Mark Stone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585

That's nice to hear. Thanks for the mini scouting report.

I also hear he is a good two way player. IIRC he was runner up in the OHL coaches poll for best two-way forward last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->