LW Josh Leivo (2011, 86th, TOR)

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
How is he doing in the AHL right now?

30 points in 47 games, 11g 19a.

How do people feel about him now? A year ago I was still excited but I haven't seen the growth I'd hoped for. That said, he's only 22(basically). Just not much improvement in the AHL since last year. He's still young!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's got an NHL future.

He'll likely be on the Maple Leafs next season, depending on what moves are made. Likely out 2LW

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
He's got an NHL future.

He'll likely be on the Maple Leafs next season, depending on what moves are made. Likely out 2LW

Seems more to me he'll be a third liner that can chip in offence. Don't know if he has top six potential. He's solid along the boards and has a good shot, but I don't think he's in the top six on a cup contender.

Still, he's a solid player, and I agree he'll make it with Toronto. Especially now it's a rebuild.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
PHP:
Seems more to me he'll be a third liner that can chip in offence. Don't know if he has top six potential. He's solid along the boards and has a good shot, but I don't think he's in the top six on a cup contender.

Still, he's a solid player, and I agree he'll make it with Toronto. Especially now it's a rebuild.

I meant he'll slot in the 2LW next season, assuming Lupul/Kessel are dealt

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I am actually disappointed in his progress or lack there off. I thought he would make a leap but he hasn't. To be fair he was injured

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
+1 for "he's got a good shot to be a 2nd line winger." His stats in general don't jump out like crazy, but I think his game will transfer really well to the NHL. Hustles hard, not afraid to mix it up physically, and has a solid amount of skill too. His work ethic is great for a top 6er, and his skill level should be good enough. I can see him having a Chris Higgins type of career in the NHL, if he pans out well.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Leivo seems to get left off the radar for torontos rebuild but he seems to be a perfect fit for their third line going forward. He is a nice compliment to the leafs other prospects as he has the size to work the corners and has the shot to finish. 3 goals in his last three games since his call up. Obviously that is a streak but from seeing his play he looks the part of an everday nhler going forward. To me Leivo seems like the type of player that could play reliable minutes while chipping in 15 to 20 goals a year. Hopefully he has a good camp going into next year because I would like to see him for a full year in the Leafs top nine.

Unbiased

Oct 31, 2015
He's likely done with the Marlies, I was kind of hoping they'd have him back but I'm happy he's getting his shot and playing the part.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think he'll be back in the AHL (outside of their Championship push once the Leafs are done) and he's as set for a full time NHL gig as you can get.

Dude has a lethal shot.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I always thought he was one of Dave Morrison's best picks. Looks like he is starting to put it together.

I posted this when he was drafted. Will have to dig through the 2011 draft threads. But it went like this. "I think he will be the best player the Leafs drafted in that 2011 Burke/Morrison draft."

Starting to look like there is a good chance of this happening. Always thought Leivo was a very good prospect.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
He has such a terrific shot, definite NHL'er. As Babs said, he needs to get stronger and faster. If he does, top 6 potential for sure.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Nice to finally see a later round drafted and properly developed Leaf prospect make the NHL!

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Nice to finally see a later round drafted and properly developed Leaf prospect make the NHL!

The leafs have always been among the best in hitting on late draft picks. Their problem is they haven't drafted a star outside of the 1st round since Kabrele

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
I always thought he was one of Dave Morrison's best picks. Looks like he is starting to put it together.

I posted this when he was drafted. Will have to dig through the 2011 draft threads. But it went like this. "I think he will be the best player the Leafs drafted in that 2011 Burke/Morrison draft."

Starting to look like there is a good chance of this happening. Always thought Leivo was a very good prospect.

Wow congrats dude! :handclap:

I think he's going to be up for the rest of the year because he's waiver eligible next year so they're definitely going to give him a shot. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding sending him for a Calder cup run after the seasons over? Does he need to be on the Marlies roster after trade deadline or can he remain up and still go back during playoffs?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wow congrats dude! :handclap:

I think he's going to be up for the rest of the year because he's waiver eligible next year so they're definitely going to give him a shot. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding sending him for a Calder cup run after the seasons over? Does he need to be on the Marlies roster after trade deadline or can he remain up and still go back during playoffs?

Joshua came on my radar in 2012 in his draft + 1 year. All the credit goes to Morrison really. To be honest I didn't notice him much in his draft year.

I recall Morrison saying he came on in the OHL playoffs. He had a somewhat unremarkable 30 point season in 64 games in his draft year on a weak Sudbury team. He was a late Birthday on May 26 but caught fire in the playoffs. Maybe he just needed that late growth spurt. Just another example why just a few months of maturity in a prospect can make a big difference.

Here is a post of mine on him on the Leafs board years ago. Interesting he is now 6'2 203 lbs.

He's not there just yet, but he is starting to show his promise and talent as a potential top 6 winger.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=60506171&postcount=36

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Joshua came on my radar in 2012 in his draft + 1 year.

He's not there just yet, but he is starting to show his promise and talent as a potential top 6 winger.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=60506171&postcount=36

You have to remember that Babcock does not play a Top6/Bottom6 format. Babcock likes to have 4 lines rolling each with two skill players and 1 defensive forward/mucker. Levio strikes me as the defensive forward/mucker capable of playing on any of the four lines. JMHO

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
You have to remember that Babcock does not play a Top6/Bottom6 format. Babcock likes to have 4 lines rolling each with two skill players and 1 defensive forward/mucker. Levio strikes me as the defensive forward/mucker capable of playing on any of the four lines. JMHO

I agree, he can get shots off quickly and pick the corners, he just needs someone who can get him the puck.

I think he will work well with an amazing passer like Kadri. I could see those two creating a lot more goals that look just like the one he scored last night. Together they could form 2/3 of one of the best second lines in the league for the next 10 years. They would be like a slightly less skilled version of the Gilmour-Andreychuk duo. Leivo just needs to work on his skating, as has been discussed, so he can simultaneously be a defensive presence and drive the net to give his linemates space to create.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
I think he will work well with an amazing passer like Kadri. I could see those two creating a lot more goals that look just like the one he scored last night. Together they could form 2/3 of one of the best second lines in the league for the next 10 years.
Are you planning on acquiring Ovechkin or Kane to be the other 1/3? :laugh:

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I think he will work well with an amazing passer like Kadri. I could see those two creating a lot more goals that look just like the one he scored last night. Together they could form 2/3 of one of the best second lines in the league for the next 10 years.

I think we'll be disappointed expecting even a poor version of Gilmour - Andreychuk.

I would find next season a success for them if they could replicate the success of Grabo - Kulemin in 2010-11, given they play together.

58p +14 for the tenacious, skilled, play-making C.
57p +7 for the big-bodied, good on the wall, triggerman W.

Lofty point totals for a rookie, and I think Kadri could break 60 in a good year, but overall they were a good possession driving line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad