LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2007
Calgary
These comparisons and expectations.. oh man some of you are going to be disappointed.

Thanks for that. Now we know how good Gaudreau will be thanks to you.

Also, can you tell me how good Monahan will be? Some people say Toews-lite, some say Pavelski but i'm not sure. Since you know exactly how good Gaudreau will be, please tell us how good Monahan will be.

Thanks.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
On the contrary he has the same skill level as Datsyuk did when he first entered the league. Not nearly the same style though.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Johnny is the real deal. Not only does he have incredible skillset but he also has that little bit of hockey luck when he plays. There's something very special about him.

This kid is going to stun people next year. Good luck Calgary!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Can we at least wait until the kid is a PPG player before we start saying he's better at getting open and seeing the ice than Crosby?

I'm not even someone who thinks he'll struggle; i'm pretty sure Gaudreau is going to be as big a star as the city of Calgary has ever seen. But he's not better than Crosby at anything right now.
Is this how you responded when people claimed MacKinnon was faster than Crosby when he was a prospect?

I don't need to see a player play in the NHL to evaluate skills. Gaudreau's hockey IQ is off the charts.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
This kid is ****ing awesome! Johnny the Hockey. My favorite young player.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No, I'm just going off of experience like someone else said. I already heard all of this when you guys were calling Baertschi the next Eberle.

The odds are far less than 1% that he turns into the next Datsuyk. In other words the odds are negligible. That doesn't mean that fans shouldn't be excited it just means that Datsuyk's are rarer than credible sightings of Big Foot. :)

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
No, I'm just going off of experience like someone else said. I already heard all of this when you guys were calling Baertschi the next Eberle.

Good thing he's not like Eberle, then. Who would want a player that is bad defensively and never tries?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

:laugh: Please very few Flames fans had those expectations on him. It's crazy how fast a few outspoken people can make an entire fanbase.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

So your evaluation of Gaudreau is based solely on a comparison made by a couple of people on the internet? Got it.

PZA*

Notice it's mostly Oiler fans who coming into this thread with such jealousy. Seriously why can't Flames fans can be excited for a prospect for once? Just cause your 1st rounders haven't done jack worth **** for the Oilers franchise and aren't the attention of the NHL doesn't mean you can ruin the excitement of a very talented player.

Gaudreau is going blow your ****ing minds out next season and be 100000000x better than all the Oilers talent in the last 10 years. If you guys can't handle the hype, don't bother opening this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Notice it's mostly Oiler fans who coming into this thread with such jealousy. Seriously why can't Flames fans can be excited for a prospect for once? Just cause your 1st rounders haven't done jack worth **** for the Oilers franchise and aren't the attention of the NHL doesn't mean you can ruin the excitement of a very talented player.

Gaudreau is going blow your ****ing minds out next season and be 100000000x better than all the Oilers talent in the last 10 years. If you guys can't handle the hype, don't bother opening this thread.

Not an oilers fan but I think the crap some of you guys saying in here is hilarious and I'm not sure if some people are trolling or if they're completely serious.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Its no jealousy.

People have every right to have serious doubts about Gaurdreau.

I personally still have high doubts that he carvs out a successful NHL career. He's a boom or bust guy, and personally I dont think he has the Skill set to really be a boom player in the NHL.

Cue all the Flames/Gaudreau fans coming in with the very HF Typical "You clearly haven't watched him play" or the "Wow if you're that good of a scout, why haven't you been picked up by an NHL team" etc. etc.

At the end of the day, I dont think his game will translate to the NHL well, and I think he'll end up not panning out for the Flames. Thankfully for them he was a 4th round pick so he's not someone that was expected to make the NHL for them. If he does end up becoming a solid NHLer, then that's just a huge bonus for them.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Its no jealousy.

People have every right to have serious doubts about Gaurdreau.

I personally still have high doubts that he carvs out a successful NHL career. He's a boom or bust guy, and personally I dont think he has the Skill set to really be a boom player in the NHL.

Cue all the Flames/Gaudreau fans coming in with the very HF Typical "You clearly haven't watched him play" or the "Wow if you're that good of a scout, why haven't you been picked up by an NHL team" etc. etc.

At the end of the day, I dont think his game will translate to the NHL well, and I think he'll end up not panning out for the Flames. Thankfully for them he was a 4th round pick so he's not someone that was expected to make the NHL for them. If he does end up becoming a solid NHLer, then that's just a huge bonus for them.

This is one of the most trollish things you could have said. The last think Gaudreau doesn't have is an NHL skill set. His edgework is one of the best I've ever seen, and he has hands and hockey sense that rivals the best of them. The only question is his size, and I've never heard of size being a "skill set" before.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This is one of the most trollish things you could have said. The last think Gaudreau doesn't have is an NHL skill set. His edgework is one of the best I've ever seen, and he has hands and hockey sense that rivals the best of them. The only question is his size, and I've never heard of size being a "skill set" before.
Wow, it's not being a troll if someone respectfully disagrees. Some of you need to stop being so defensive when another poster has a differing opinion of the player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm still very high on Sven as well, good thing a players career isn't decided at the age of 21 :shakehead

I project Sven as someone who has the potential of being an elite 2nd line winger, good for somewhere of recording 60-70pts depending if he's playing with quality linemates and sees top PP unit time. Think Wayne Simmonds production, not playing style. If he develops into that type of player, then I'll be ecstatic.

Gaudreau has a higher ceiling. I think if anything this tournament has shown, is that he can play against men and on a high level of competition and dominate, that's why so many are getting excited about him. I think Gaudreau will be very successful in the NHL because he sees the game different than everyone else, he's a master chess player playing against kids so to speak. Once his mind fully adjusts to the NHL and he gains a little more lower body strength, watch out.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Wow, it's not being a troll if someone respectfully disagrees. Some of you need to stop being so defensive when another poster has a differing opinion of the player.

No, that's like saying "Crosby isn't a good player on the boards" or "Datsyuk isn't a great stickhandler". It's just a factually wrong statement, and every professional scout from Vancouver to Moscow would tell you the same thing. Question marks do exist with Johnny, and that is not one of them.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Gaudreau just denominated the NCAA like no other player since Kariya (and he played when it was a much weaker league).

He is the best forward on his WC team.

Right now, he is the most naturally skilled NHL prospect in the world. He deserves all the praise he has earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad