Not open for further replies.

Aug 3, 2010
He's short!
He's skilled!
He gives the fans a thrill!

Johnny Gaudreau! Johnny Gaudreau!

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Is he expected to play in the NHL next year?

He's expected to turn pro, but jumping from NCAA straight to the NHL might be expecting too much.

Unless he has an unreal camp he will likely start in the AHL. Calgary actually has a decent, young farm team right now and it would give him a chance to grow with other players who will eventually play on the big club.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Is he expected to play in the NHL next year?

If BC's season ends before the Flames' does, I would expect Gaudreau suited up for a couple of games - just like Hanowski last year.

As for him being a regular on the Flames the following season - I don't think anyone really knows for sure how his game will translate. He could slide right into the NHL and start contributing, or he may require a season or two in the AHL. He has the IQ and skill to compete in the NHL, but until he does, there will always be a lot of questions. Best answer to your question, and I know it isn't helpful, is: "Maybe".

Though it will be a very small sample size (if there is even a sample size at all if BC goes all the way to the Frozen Four), seeing him for a couple of games will be more telling as to how ready he really is (or isn't).

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
He's expected to turn pro, but jumping from NCAA straight to the NHL might be expecting too much.

Unless he has an unreal camp he will likely start in the AHL. Calgary actually has a decent, young farm team right now and it would give him a chance to grow with other players who will eventually play on the big club.
I'm sure he has the hockey sense and skill to step immediately into the NHL. However, I've never seen a prospect where I felt literally the only thing holding him back was putting on a bit more muscle so I wonder if he wouldn't better be suited to playing another year of college just for the sake of spending as much time in the weight room as possible.

If by the end of the summer he has managed to put on more weight and muscle, especially in his legs and core, then by all means let him loose in the NHL/AHL.

Edit: I'm probably overly cautious but I get shivers imagining someone like Weber or Kronwall nailing him along the boards and dislocating his shoulder or injuring him in some other way.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Hopefully Johnny Hockey can dodge hits and is as elusive as they come. Otherwise concussions may cut his career short.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Didnt know only small players get concussed.

Just elementary physics: A collision of two bodies is destructive to the smaller one. Thus, smaller the player more prone to concussions. Simple.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
He had an interview just a few days a go. It's now pretty apparent that he won't pull a Schultz and bolt

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Just elementary physics: A collision of two bodies is destructive to the smaller one. Thus, smaller the player more prone to concussions. Simple.

It's elementary physics that with two players being physiologically and behaviourally identical in every way except height, the shorter player will be in more danger of receiving a concussion playing hockey as a result of his height. That is literally as far as you can take that argument, though. Your statement doesn't account for any other aspects of physiology nor individual style of play, which are both important factors.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
It's elementary physics that with two players being physiologically and behaviourally identical in every way except height, the shorter player will be in more danger of receiving a concussion playing hockey as a result of his height. That is literally as far as you can take that argument, though. Your statement doesn't account for any other aspects of physiology nor individual style of play, which are both important factors.

Not only the height but the weight also. Lighter the body compared to the other body bigger the impact of collision by the law of conservation of momentum.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Do me a favour and tell that to Eric Lindros and Chris Pronger.

Two words: Scott Stevens. - True, Lindros had his head down. But it was a killer vicious hit. - Gaudreau would still be in a coma if it was him and not Lindros.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
IMO, Gaudreau's the most interesting prospect out there. He has close to, if not elite level talent but he's crazy small. He can dominate in the NCAA, almost a men's league, and the WJC, where the players are smaller but super talented. That said, his transition into the NHL will be extremely interesting. He could use his size to his advantage and thrive like MSL or Kane or he'll be a complete bust.

nik-

Sep 13, 2004
Two words: Scott Stevens. - True, Lindros had his head down. But it was a killer vicious hit. - Gaudreau would still be in a coma if it was him and not Lindros.

Just like when Stevens hit Paul Kariya and he never recovered.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I hope he's successful. It's always cool to see ultra-talented small players succeed in the NHL, as rare as it is.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Hopefully Johnny Hockey can dodge hits and is as elusive as they come. Otherwise concussions may cut his career short.

Skating with your head down is what does it. Small players seem to have to play their entire life with their head up so I'm sure he has had a lot of practice over his life time. Watch him play, he doesn't skate with his head down. Any other team rival prospects you want to offer crap opinions about?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Skating with your head down is what does it. Small players seem to have to play their entire life with their head up so I'm sure he has had a lot of practice over his life time. Watch him play, he doesn't skate with his head down. Any other team rival prospects you want to offer crap opinions about?

Hope the kid fairs in the NHL. Just a bit worried him being such a light weight.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
He had an interview just a few days a go. It's now pretty apparent that he won't pull a Schultz and bolt

Where is this? I'd say the timeline is definitely ticking that, if he doesn't commit for sure, he may be traded before the Flames get Schultz'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad