LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
How have you not been picked up by an NHL scouting team yet? You'll make a killing.

. His edgework is one of the best I've ever seen, and he has hands and hockey sense that rivals the best of them. The only question is his size, and I've never heard of size being a "skill set" before.

OT: So you call out someone for saying that they feel Gaurdreau won't make and then proceed to call him a scout. Normally that's ok but in your very next post you make a scouting statement as if you yourself are a professional scout. Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

As for Gaurdreau himself it'll be interesting to see how he does in the NHL. I'm still not a big believer in him & I do believe that in order for him to be successful he'll have to play with 2 other big bodied players so he isn't pushed around. I'm also not sure he'll ever have the defensive game to be a 1st liner. I think if he does make it it'll be as a somewhat protected 2nd line winger, who plays #1PP minutes. If he makes it I don't think it's outlandish to expect him to get 55-65 points if everything goes right.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Gaudreau has a higher ceiling. I think if anything this tournament has shown, is that he can play against men and on a high level of competition and dominate, that's why so many are getting excited about him. I think Gaudreau will be very successful in the NHL because he sees the game different than everyone else, he's a master chess player playing against kids so to speak. Once his mind fully adjusts to the NHL and he gains a little more lower body strength, watch out.
I understand points aren't everything but is it fair to point out that the bulk of his points at the WC are against very limited NHL competition, if any at all?

3 points vs Belarus (1 NHLer)
0 against Switzerland (4)
0 points against Russia (10)
1 point vs Latvia (2)
2 points vs Kazakhstan (0)
0 points vs Finland (3)
4 points vs Germany (0)

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
I understand points aren't everything but is it fair to point out that the bulk of his points at the WC are against very limited NHL competition, if any at all?

1 point vs Latvia (2)
0 points vs Finland (3)
4 points vs Germany (0)

Is that accounting for former NHL'er's and KHL players that played on Olympic national teams?

BacksInTheSaddle

Feb 6, 2014
Saskatchewan

1 point vs Latvia (2)
0 points vs Finland (3)
4 points vs Germany (0)

Yeah but that Latvian team is pretty much the same as the Olympics and Canada barely squeaked 2 by them soooo....

Just kidding of course, I don't think people are saying he will be Datsyuk or Kane but you can see the raw talent present in both those players in JG.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010

1 point vs Latvia (2)
0 points vs Finland (3)
4 points vs Germany (0)

You also understand that the US team as a whole is moreso comparable to teams like Germany and Switzerland this year than Russia, etc.?

And that's not to say he didn't have numerous chances in the games which he didn't register any points.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

1 point vs Latvia (2)
0 points vs Finland (3)
4 points vs Germany (0)

No it's a fair point for sure, to that I'd counter though that he basically shattered Roman Josi's ankles because of the move he put on him. In the one game he played against the Nucks, he actually looked really good. I thought he looked excellent defensively, he had fantastic awareness at reading the play in his own end and made several turnovers because of it. When he did lose the puck, he would go right into retrieval mode, seriously he looked like a hawk in pursuit of the puck. He has an uncanny ability to pick guys pockets and take the puck off them, he's a greasy little guy lol.

You definitely have a point in that the WC's is not the NHL and a lot of the points have come against rosters that don't have a ton of NHL vets, but overall the level of competition he's facing is THE best hockey he's ever played in, and the fact that he's doing so well at it and being that it's his first taste of that hockey and an international game, I think speaks volumes to the kind of player he is.

Last edited:

PZA*

1 point vs Latvia (2)
0 points vs Finland (3)
4 points vs Germany (0)

You're forgetting that he has the most points on team USA and is 2nd in overall points in the tournament. Keep trying to find flaws... you won't find many. :laugh:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

1 point vs Latvia (2)
0 points vs Finland (3)
4 points vs Germany (0)

Totally fair but I think the point was that the WC>NCAA in terms of competition and so this is just another positive sign that the level of competition doesn't affect JG ability. With that said he has been fairly noticeable in every game even if the points are only against the weaker teams, but it is totally fair to bring up that most of his opponents aren't NHLers.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I am a Flames but it is getting a bit ridiculous, just 5 posts bombarding the the one guy for making a post pointing out his production. I am on the hype train, but some of you guys are making him to be a god.

edit: This happened with Baerstchi, we need to calm down a bit. This is why I usually won't partake in Gaudreau/Flames threads outside of the Flames board because of the bickering from both sides. Usually anyways.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Is that accounting for former NHL'er's and KHL players that played on Olympic national teams?
No, just current. Admittedly I only looked at their current listed teams.

You're forgetting that he has the most points on team USA and is 2nd in overall points in the tournament. Keep trying to find flaws... you won't find many. :laugh:
How is asking a question looking for flaws? I haven't even given my opinion on the kid in here.

Thanks to the people who actually responded to the question.

Last edited:

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
who is seriously making these?

There have been several RIDICULOUS posts from different people about Gaudreau. Comparing him to Datsyuk and Kane in his prime, saying he has top 10 NHL skill level, saying he has better vision and spatial awareness than Crosby, etc. These things are going to get pointed out as they are borderline ridiculous.

I think Gaudreau has a good chance to be a 60-70 point player in his prime depending on how he adjusts to the NHL.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
There have been several RIDICULOUS posts from different people about Gaudreau. Comparing him to Datsyuk and Kane in his prime, saying he has top 10 NHL skill level, saying he has better vision and spatial awareness than Crosby, etc. These things are going to get pointed out as they are borderline ridiculous.

I think Gaudreau has a good chance to be a 60-70 point player in his prime depending on how he adjusts to the NHL.

I like this post. It's a good summary of the last couple pages.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I hope the kid makes it. Having said that many small skilled guys on many teams have looked like they are from another planet with their skill and ended up in Europe or the KHL. I think he could go either way. He looks great from what I have seen but we'll just have to wait until next season for the truth, whatever that may be.

The kid couldn't have picked a bigger division to crack. It won't be easy but he seems to have lots of determination. He will either win you your hockey pool or make you curse him I think.

PZA*

Reminds me of Giroux

Oh my god! What a RIDICULOUS comparison!!! How dare you compare one of the best players in the NHL to Gaudreau!! Does this mean Gaudreau is going to be Giroux at his prime because he reminds of you Giroux?!?!?! NO wayyyyyY! :sarcasm:

Reminds me a bit of Datsyuk. I'm on the hype train.

Gaudreau reminds of you Datsyuk!?!?! Better tell you're absolutely RIDICULOUS because Gaudreau reminds of A BIT of Datsyuk... but hey it's absolutely WRONG to compare any prospects to high calibre players at all!!!

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Wow this thread has gotten nuts. I've been pumping up the guy and said he is a like Datsyuk and Kane, but geez.. I didn't think anyone expects him to reach that level. If I were a GM I would take RNH over Johnny.

If Johnny puts up multiple 50 point seasons, it will be a very successful career for him and more than anyone ever expected. That's where the line should be set for optimism.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

And Datsyuk is an 80 point player. So, I have him averaging 10 more points a year than you, yet the comparison is "ridiculous." Btw, Gaudreau has superb defensive awareness.

I'd guess typically about 1-3 forwards come in per year that will become truly elite players (i.e. Sedins, Datsyuk, Selanne, Backstrom, Seguin). I think Gaudreau will be one of them next year, along with Jonathan Drouin and perhaps Kuznetsov or one of the 2014 draft picks. Who do you have in that group that is better?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

1 point vs Latvia (2)
0 points vs Finland (3)
4 points vs Germany (0)

1. That Germany team with 0 NHL players would would have probably beat the US (mostly NHL players) by a score of 4-1 were it not for Gaudreau. They were a decent team.

2. If the competition is so weak, then why aren't any of the dozens of NHL players, some of whom are stars, outscoring Johnny Gaudreau. They play the weaker opponents as well.

3. How are the other premier NHL prospects doing? Didn't see Kuznetsov among the scoring leaders, and I think he's a terrific talent.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
the Gaudreau hype is at an all-time high

unreal

Given what he's done this year it's not surprising. An incredible NCAA season, followed by an amazing IIHF tourney, complete with highlight reel goals and assists.

I'm beginning to think he could make the Flames this year. He may not be Burke's kind of player, but if he has a great camp it will be hard to send him down. It's not like the Flames are swimming in quality wingers right now. Beyond that though, who knows.

emmjayb

Jan 4, 2004
I'm probably going to be seen to be taking the hype to an even higher level (yes, it is possible) but I'm really not..... here goes.

To me, the best comparisons in terms of how he plays, skates, sees the ice, etc., is Gretzky (light, light, light). And yes, I am old enough to remember Gretzky from his first day in the NHL. Johnny's quickness, elusiveness, ability to avoid the big hit (we hope!); stop and turn on a dime, find the open man all reminiscent of Gretzky to me. And, he just continually makes plays that make you ask "how the eff did he do that; what did I just see?!?!!" ... just like Gretzky continually did in his heyday (not the post-Kings Gretzky, who was a different and much lesser animal).

Now, the BIG qualifier. Gretzky is one of the 3 best of all-time (and very likely THE best)... Gaudreau may or may not be a legit NHLer, way too early to tell. Virtually all of the above praise is against non-NHL competition, remains to be seen if he can do same against the big boys. So I'm not saying he is or will be as good as Gretzky, not even close, he won't be, not even close. Regular 60-70 pt. guy with maybe a season or two over 80 at his peak is best anyone could realistically hope for.

But in terms of STYLE of play, its who he reminds me of. Other player that comes to mind (if you remove the grit and tenacity) is Gilmour (who I always thought was Gretzky (light, light, plus grit).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad