LW Jakob Pelletier - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL (2019, 26th, CGY)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Abramov had 93 in 63, it isn't all about points. He will probably go in the first round but he isn't where Hischier or Zadina were.

Abramov should have went higher as well. I wasn’t saying that Pelletier is equal to those guys, but I think he should be in that 10-20 range all day. Especially if we are seeing other small guys start to creep up there like Brink or Caufield.

Hischier and Zadina are both six feet tall or over.

Pelletier is listed at 5'9".

I think he’s bigger than that, we will see.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Abramov should have went higher as well. I wasn’t saying that Pelletier is equal to those guys, but I think he should be in that 10-20 range all day. Especially if we are seeing other small guys start to creep up there like Brink or Caufield.

I don't think Abramov is showing he should have been a first rounder in his performance in pro-hockey. People I've talked to who have seen Abramov live think its more likely he's shorter than his listed height than taller than it.

I'd be skeptical putting him in the top 20. I don't think he's dynamic enough to play his role as a line-driver in the top 6 of an NHL team. Which is what he has to be to make it. I'm not sure he has the game to excel as a 3rd wheel on a good line.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think Abramov is showing he should have been a first rounder in his performance in pro-hockey. People I've talked to who have seen Abramov live think its more likely he's shorter than his listed height than taller than it.

I'd be skeptical putting him in the top 20. I don't think he's dynamic enough to play his role as a line-driver in the top 6 of an NHL team. Which is what he has to be to make it. I'm not sure he has the game to excel as a 3rd wheel on a good line.

I didn’t say Abramov should be a 1st, but he was also undervalued just because of his height.

I think the same thing is happening here, but I like Pelletier much better. All I can say is I disagree with your assessment and we will have to see how it plays out in the future. I think he has better upside than a bunch of guys who get ranked higher than him. Let him fill out and mature more physically and I think he could be a very impactful guy offensively.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I see a lot to like with him.

Reactions: Llamamoto

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I didn’t say Abramov should be a 1st, but he was also undervalued just because of his height.

I think the same thing is happening here, but I like Pelletier much better. All I can say is I disagree with your assessment and we will have to see how it plays out in the future. I think he has better upside than a bunch of guys who get ranked higher than him. Let him fill out and mature more physically and I think he could be a very impactful guy offensively.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I see a lot to like with him.
I think we are starting to reach the point of guys being fairly valued (maybe even with height being overly ignored) despite height issues. Previously there were guys like Point but there has been a significant adjustment. For example, I don't think Yamamoto, for example, got undervalued. Who over the last 2 years really got overly punished on draft boards due to size? Last year we saw a 5'9 defender who wouldn't get measured go top 10. We saw a 5'7 guy go in the first in 2017. I don't think its a height issue with Pelletier's placement.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Pelletier plays kind of like Gallagher. Gets to net and gets under the goalie's skin, plays bigger than his 5'9" frame suggests.

All I'm saying is Gallagher went in the 5th round despite being a 40 goal scorer in his draft year. Now he's 10th in scoring from his draft class.

Obviously Pelletier isn't getting drafted that low, but I think he's just as good. There's no way Pelletier shouldn't be a top 15 pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think we are starting to reach the point of guys being fairly valued (maybe even with height being overly ignored) despite height issues. Previously there were guys like Point but there has been a significant adjustment. For example, I don't think Yamamoto, for example, got undervalued. Who over the last 2 years really got overly punished on draft boards due to size? Last year we saw a 5'9 defender who wouldn't get measured go top 10. We saw a 5'7 guy go in the first in 2017. I don't think its a height issue with Pelletier's placement.

Heponiemi is probably the biggest one for me, but I get your point. Folks are certainly being more and more open-minded about it.

On a side note, I feel as if the Q as a whole is kind of undervalued.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think this is the bigger issue. Pelletier's height also doesn't help despite it being less of an issue these days. I think these two factors are having an impact on where he's ranked.

Lots of teams gonna regret passing on the Gallagher-Gaudreau hybrid.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think this is the bigger issue. Pelletier's height also doesn't help despite it being less of an issue these days. I think these two factors are having an impact on where he's ranked.

Lots of teams gonna regret passing on the Gallagher-Gaudreau hybrid.

Which game of his do you think best makes the case for how highly you have him ranked?

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
He's not small in a traditional sense. Plays like he's 6'1". Plays somewhat fearless. very strong for his size. Good skater. Good IQ, good in all three zones. Doesn't have any glaring flaws to note. If I had to pick a negative, would be that he isn't amazing in any one area of his game. Probably needs to add a step in his skating to be elite at the next level as can be said with almost all prospects.

Reactions: Get North

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Precisely.
Not off the top of my head.

I think most games he plays with a high compete level. You can see it in the last game he played against Rimouski. He's a high IQ player that gets to the net and puts himself where he needs to be. He's certainly not a perimeter player which you'll often see with smaller guys.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Heponiemi is probably the biggest one for me, but I get your point. Folks are certainly being more and more open-minded about it.

I'm not fully sold on the Q being undervalued either. Most of the guys who are top prospects out of it get the respect they deserve such as MacKinnon (1OA), Drouin (3OA), Ehlers (9OA), Meier (9OA), PLD (3OA), Hischier (1OA) and Zadina (6OA). I don't think guys who go late from the QMJHl are disproportionally outperforming the guys who go late from any other league in the NHL.

Going back to 2012, it's not like you can point to many great non-top 10 picks that are significantly outshining their respective draft slots. The best examples are probably Chabot, Samuel Girard, and Mathieu Joseph. Chabot is in one of the most stacked drafts in recent memory (and it's not like worse Q players weren't picked ahead in Zboril). Girard and Joseph are good, but if you looked at all 3 CHL leagues you can probably find other as good or better examples over the same time frame. Maybe add Batherson (a fairly unique case) to the discussion. Other guys may change this in the future, I just don't see much-supporting evidence to see that players from that league are under-drafted in recent history.

Reactions: Teemu

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not fully sold on the Q being undervalued either. Most of the guys who are top prospects out of it get the respect they deserve such as MacKinnon (1OA), Drouin (3OA), Ehlers (9OA), Meier (9OA), PLD (3OA), Hischier (1OA) and Zadina (6OA). I don't think guys who go late from the QMJHl are disproportionally outperforming the guys who go late from any other league in the NHL.

Going back to 2012, it's not like you can point to many great non-top 10 picks that are significantly outshining their respective draft slots. The best examples are probably Chabot, Samuel Girard, and Mathieu Joseph. Chabot is in one of the most stacked drafts in recent memory (and it's not like worse Q players weren't picked ahead in Zboril). Girard and Joseph are good, but if you looked at all 3 CHL leagues you can probably find other as good or better examples over the same time frame. Maybe add Batherson (a fairly unique case) to the discussion. Other guys may change this in the future, I just don't see much-supporting evidence to see that players from that league are under-drafted in recent history.

I think Veleno and McIsaac should have went higher last year. Had them both ranked top 20, personally. If Veleno played in the OHL I wonder if there would have been a different perception out there with him. Maybe not, but these were some of the things running through my head. I could be putting too much stock into this last draft with that opinion.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think Veleno and McIsaac should have went higher last year. Had them both ranked top 20, personally. If Veleno played in the OHL I wonder if there would have been a different perception out there with him. Maybe not, but these were some of the things running through my head. I could be putting too much stock into this last draft with that opinion.
I mean it could be true, but for it to be proven true, late QMJHL draft picks are going to have to outperform their draft stocks relative to other leagues.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean it could be true, but for it to be proven true, late QMJHL draft picks are going to have to outperform their draft stocks relative to other leagues.

Yeah it will be something to keep an eye on, it’s certainly more of a hunch than anything right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is Zuccarello a decent comp? Not in terms of projection but style of play?

He reminds me of Max Domi, at least as far as being aggressive for a smaller guy and having really good hockey sense. Domi had better hands at the same age though.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

When I seen Pelletier in person about a month ago I had a hard time believing he was 5'9. He's absolutely tiny out there and looks closer to 5'8.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He reminds me of Max Domi, at least as far as being aggressive for a smaller guy and having really good hockey sense. Domi had better hands at the same age though.
I'd say Domi is also significantly stronger in build and more explosive skating wise.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd say Domi is also significantly stronger in build and more explosive skating wise.

Yeah, he was definitely more filled out physically and heavier. Pelletier is a pretty good skater IMO... would you say there is a big gap between the two? I guess Domi was maybe better straight line, but Pelletier is really good laterally.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
When I seen Pelletier in person about a month ago I had a hard time believing he was 5'9. He's absolutely tiny out there and looks closer to 5'8.

There’s not much difference between 5’8 and 5’9. It’s not like he’s said to 6’2.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, he was definitely more filled out physically and heavier. Pelletier is a pretty good skater IMO... would you say there is a big gap between the two? I guess Domi was maybe better straight line, but Pelletier is really good laterally.
I think there is a decent gap. Domi was always really explosive in his first 3 to 4 strides, and it allowed him to play at a fast pace. I definitely feel Domi was the better prospect by a tier at a minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad