LW Jakob Pelletier - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL (2019, 26th, CGY)

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
There’s not much difference between 5’8 and 5’9. It’s not like he’s said to 6’2.

He said he believes Pelletier is bigger than 5'9. I'm saying there's zero chance he's 5'10+ and I have my doubts that he's even 5'9.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I'm not fully sold on the Q being undervalued either. Most of the guys who are top prospects out of it get the respect they deserve such as MacKinnon (1OA), Drouin (3OA), Ehlers (9OA), Meier (9OA), PLD (3OA), Hischier (1OA) and Zadina (6OA). I don't think guys who go late from the QMJHl are disproportionally outperforming the guys who go late from any other league in the NHL.

Going back to 2012, it's not like you can point to many great non-top 10 picks that are significantly outshining their respective draft slots. The best examples are probably Chabot, Samuel Girard, and Mathieu Joseph. Chabot is in one of the most stacked drafts in recent memory (and it's not like worse Q players weren't picked ahead in Zboril). Girard and Joseph are good, but if you looked at all 3 CHL leagues you can probably find other as good or better examples over the same time frame. Maybe add Batherson (a fairly unique case) to the discussion. Other guys may change this in the future, I just don't see much-supporting evidence to see that players from that league are under-drafted in recent history.

I agree with you. I don’t think any league is under scouted, especially in the CHL. Scouts flock to where the best players are, if the best players are in the Q, OHL or WHL then the scouts will be there and will see you. It’s not like they’re playing in some obscure league overseas that you need to travel by plane, train and boat to get too. They’re all accessible, every player in the CHL has the opportunity to be scouted. Obviously teams will go where the most talent is so I can’t imagine anyone is scouting a Saint John Sea Dogs vs Acadie-Bathurst Titan game this season but I can guarantee you that scouts have seen players on both teams play more than once and if they’re worthy of further scouting then they’ll make a point to go watch those players.

Also just because a guy is outperforming where they were drafted or get drafted lower than what people think, doesn’t mean the scouts didn’t see them. It just means either A) they mis-judged how the players skill set would translate to the NHL or B) the player drastically improved from the time they were drafted.

Players 95% of the time, get drafted in the range they deserve to get drafted in. The fact they outperform that draft position later on doesn’t mean they weren’t picked where they should have been. I very rarely, if ever, see people clamouring on 2 days after the draft about how a guy picked in the 3rd/4th/5th round should have gone in the 1st but it’s easy to do a year or 2 years post draft when you’ve seen what the players developed into.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Those players are certainly on the radar but it's how often are they seen and in which context? Small market Q teams are seen but it's usually when they play in the Montreal area. Those players are dependent on getting seen at tournaments too. Teams that are more familiar with and more comfortable scouting the area do better such as Ottawa, Nashville and Tampa. It's no surprise those teams mine more of the successes there too. The Q is not unique in this situation, there are still competitive advantages in US HS, certain portions of Europe, etc.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Those players are certainly on the radar but it's how often are they seen and in which context? Small market Q teams are seen but it's usually when they play in the Montreal area. Those players are dependent on getting seen at tournaments too. Teams that are more familiar with and more comfortable scouting the area do better such as Ottawa, Nashville and Tampa. It's no surprise those teams mine more of the successes there too. The Q is not unique in this situation, there are still competitive advantages in US HS, certain portions of Europe, etc.

I wouldn't call Moncton a small market team, everyone knows them, they have Irving Billionaire owners and a brand new stadium that is I think 3rd largest in the league.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He's not small in a traditional sense. Plays like he's 6'1". Plays somewhat fearless. very strong for his size. Good skater. Good IQ, good in all three zones. Doesn't have any glaring flaws to note. If I had to pick a negative, would be that he isn't amazing in any one area of his game. Probably needs to add a step in his skating to be elite at the next level as can be said with almost all prospects.
This is bang on IMO. It's hard to pinpoint where Pelletier should be ranked because he's such a unique player, he's got the grit in his game like a Dustin Brown, and then can make high-end skill plays. I think Landeskog is a fair comparison, Landeskog is much bigger, but they play the same style.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lhjmq/jakob-pelletier-le-meilleur-espoir-de-la-lhjmq-1.6690143

Nine out of 10 scouts that Leroux talked to view Pelletier as the best prospect out of the Q this year.

I remember the same thing in 2013 they asked 12 between Drouin and Mackinnon. 10 picked Drouin, 1 picked Mackinnon and 1 said it was too close to call.

Not saying this isn't valuable information, just pointing it out. I like Pelletier, he is right there with Lavoie for sure. Coin flip for who goes first on draft day to me.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Nice player but I'd take both Poulin and Lavoie over him. Lavoie ceiling is very high and he just keeps getting better. Pelletier is a perfect junior player and I think he's already close to his ceiling.

HackeyFanz

Dec 8, 2017
Nice player but I'd take both Poulin and Lavoie over him. Lavoie ceiling is very high and he just keeps getting better. Pelletier is a perfect junior player and I think he's already close to his ceiling.
I disagree. Pelletier drives the play and makes his linemates into better players and never takes a shift off. Look at Brayden Point as an example. If anything, Lavoie has a much bigger chance of being a bust.

Reactions: wein and Frk It

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'd take Poulin if I was picking. I like the both players but I think Poulin is a safer pick and is closer to an NHL style game.

I think for my team I agree with this. Safer guy who’s probably closer to arriving in the NHL.

Pelletier for sure. 2 way stud.

Poulin for sure, shouldn't be a question at this point

Haha well then... Probably a good sign for both prospects that different people are very high on each.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

and we know this how?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Haven't seen this kid but the skill/speed/motor combo sounds intriguing. Can anyone who has watched him say if they think he could play C at the NHL level or is he most likely a winger?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad